Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone doing this service themselves? Manual only says oil, fluids, chain tension, etc. Is there anything that must be done by the dealer to maintain warranty status? I called my dealer today and the 'kid' told me valves needed to be done. I explained to him that the MTS didn't need valve adjustment until 15k miles but the fact that he didn't know that left me uneasy about his answers to my other questions.

Thanks,
TD

·
Sophomore Member
2,964 Posts
In the U.S., manufacturers cannot require that you bring the vehicle to them to maintain the warranty. The 7500 mile service is a glorified oil change. It does involve checking lights, checking the fan, checking kill switch, etc. As you know, the valves are not needed until 15000 miles. As long as it isn't 2 years old, you don't need belts yet either. The only things you cannot do is turn off the maintenance reminder and read any codes. These must be done by the fancy diagnostic tool.

·
Super Moderator
5,670 Posts
skipped 7500 service

I've been doing oil every 3K, coming up on 9K in about 200 miles. The techs at my dealership (Cycles 128, Beverly MA) have been really good about looking baby over each visit, checking and lubing the chain, etc. so not worried about missing the 7500 check.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Just had mine done, $260 including mounting/changing new front tire. Agreed - glorified oil change, and it didn't even include cleaning the screen. I also do the oil every 3000 miles so not a big deal. i was hoping for a throttle body synch but was told that its not done, might make things worse. Overall, i guess its just a little added security that someone other than me checks things over and then turns off the service light on the dash.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
Time for the 15 k mile service, and my bike has not been back to a dealership since the 600 mile look-see. I've changed the oil and filter, and flushed the fluids several times. I'll be taking the bike to an independent fellow who specializes in Ducatis (level two certified), for the reasons TJD mentioned above. Who knows who would be working on my bike at a dealership.

·
Registered
131 Posts
How about software updates and outstanding Service Bulletins?
Ducati has released plenty of updates, recalls and bulletins since 2010 for the Multistrada. If you have not had your bike to a dealer the odds are that your bike could probably be running a lot better than it is. And those repairs and updates are free.

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
I'm very fortunate to have an awesome dealer that's 45 minutes down the road. They have 2 techs that are very personable and know what they're doing. They also look my bike over when ever I stop in to see the owner or pick up something for one of my bikes. The owner of the shop is constantly in and out of the service and parts area and always gets involved when I stop in. I've even had them take something off a new bike to repair mine. They really make it hard when I head to the BMW dealer, because I don't get the attention and personal service I do at Commonwealth and one never knows who will be working on your bike. Every time I go into Commonwealth, they're always offering something for me to try where the BMW shop is reluctant to let you ride anything even if you're interested in purchasing. As for the required services, I let them do everything to my bikes and have been very fortunate to have never had a negative experience or a lot of the issues that many have had. Having a dealer like this makes you very brand allegiant and keeps you coming back time and time again. From the looks of my garage, I sometimes wish they weren't so friendly.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Anyone have a ballpark price for the 15k service?

·
Premium Member
1,137 Posts
I think it runs about $1K. Call them and ask. From the looks of your garage I see you've had similar experience with Ed.

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Anyone doing this service themselves?
I did it myself at the advice of the dealer. They broke two prior appointments with me, and when i called to confirm the third, they said they were too busy, and recommended that I do it myself.

It's a piece of cake.

A couple weeks later I took the bike into the dealer to have the rear brake looked at (again), and they charged me $100 to clear the service code.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think it runs about $1K. Call them and ask. From the looks of your garage I see you've had similar experience with Ed.
Yeah, i'll call up...last year at motoGP in the Ducati tent I overheard someone whining about the cost being over 5k which didn't sound right at all.

I'll only buy my bikes from Ed, he is a good guy and runs a great dealership.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm at 8200, and have done every service myself. Oil at 3k, torque checks at service intervals. I have every intention of doing the 15k myself as well. The local dealer simply erked me wrong one too many times for me to pay the $290 oil change fee and as mentioned by others tried to quote the valve service at the 7500 as well. I'm sure they're great guys, but I can easily do the 15k service myself for well under a couple hundred dollars. I have the tools and knowledge.

I know someone else documented it as well, but I plan on fully documenting my tear down when I get to it as well. It might not be until spring though at my current pace.

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
How about software updates and outstanding Service Bulletins?
Ducati has released plenty of updates, recalls and bulletins since 2010 for the Multistrada. If you have not had your bike to a dealer the odds are that your bike could probably be running a lot better than it is. And those repairs and updates are free.
I had an ecu update at the 600mile service, and a DES ecu replaced shortly after that. But I've had none of the other bulletins or recalls done. My panniers don't leak, I don't use the steering lock or the red kill switch on the handlebar, my rear brake is acceptable, and my engine runs fine with fatducs. (Really, Nickpilot, it runs fine!:)) I may eventually take it into 'a' dealership ('my' dealership lost their Duc franchise) to have some of that stuff done, but the now closest dealership is over two hours away, and they never returned three messages I left with their service department several months ago to look into this stuff. So, if it ain't broke, why bother?

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
...I plan on fully documenting my tear down when I get to it as well. It might not be until spring though at my current pace.
Yes!

PLease document the valve adjustment like you are trying to teach a ten year old.
Hopefully I will be able to follow along, then.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Mollycbr....thanks for thinking of me!! My latest theory is the injectors! If you get a 'random' pair that are pretty much matched, you get a bike that pretty much runs ok, (maybe with the help of the fatducs). If you get two that are at either end of their 'spec', maybe you have a problem. This 'idea' was given to me an injector knowledgable person...I posted on this subject...very little response. As ever...just posting to learn more!! The bike is now going well...and clocking up the miles. Nick

·
Registered
347 Posts
Like everyone has already said the 7500 service is basic maintenance and oil change. You should pull the oil screen to do it properly, so you need to get gasket maker. I used, Permatex® Ultra Grey® Rigid High-Torque RTV Silicone Gasket Maker, because I could get it locally. You can order the Ducati one if you want, it'll just cost more, but same stuff. The rest of the 7500 service is basic stuff, check all fluids, lube throttle cables, check your air filter.

As far as the 15000 mile service, I found a local guy who will do it for less money if I pull all the fairings, which takes a lot of the time.

·
Registered
80 Posts
$850! That seems way out of line for 7500 mile service. I had mine done at the dealer a short while back. The service itself was $235.39 ($127.38 in labor, the rest in parts / misc). I also had a new set of tires installed, which I provided - labor $100.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I called the other Duc dealer a little father away and they quoted me for $240 and $100 for the tires. I then called back my previous dealer and told them I'll no longer be using them. It'd be one thing if it was like $70 difference but we're talking nearly $700

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Sophomore Member
2,964 Posts
Glad to hear you asked around and got a reasonable answer. Also glad to hear you told the gougers to shove it.

The 7500 service is essentially a glorified oil change. Consider doing it yourself.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts