Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it was probably covered extensively over the past 15 years, but things change, vendors get new product, etc,

OEM? Aftermarket? Are they all same (rebranded) or everyone has them made by different manufacturer?

Bike a 2006 with unknown age belts, they were "just replaced" when I bought it with 14k miles almost 2 years ago, I know last 2 owners and I believe them it was serviced (valves + new belts and tires) but there is no paperwork because everyone is best friends and it was done on a handshake rather than over the counter, so no one remembers the dates.
I'm thinking it was probably 7 years ago because brand new tires were 7 years old...

Currently have 21k on the clock, due to unfortunate circumstance I loaned the bike that I was gonna use to travel this summer and now I got to make sure Multi is roadworthy, so belts and tensioner bearings are my first suspect due to be replaced.

Got new tires, obviously, new clutch, new fork seals, shock serviced by Ohlins...

I guess that's about it?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I know it was probably covered extensively over the past 15 years, but things change, vendors get new product, etc,

OEM? Aftermarket? Are they all same (rebranded) or everyone has them made by different manufacturer?

Bike a 2006 with unknown age belts, they were "just replaced" when I bought it with 14k miles almost 2 years ago, I know last 2 owners and I believe them it was serviced (valves + new belts and tires) but there is no paperwork because everyone is best friends and it was done on a handshake rather than over the counter, so no one remembers the dates.

I'm thinking it was probably 7 years ago because brand new tires were 7 years old...

Currently have 21k on the clock, due to unfortunate circumstance I loaned the bike that I was gonna use to travel this summer and now I got to make sure Multi is roadworthy, so belts and tensioner bearings are my first suspect due to be replaced.

Got new tires, obviously, new clutch, new fork seals, shock serviced by Ohlins...

I guess that's about it?
I only use Ducati belts....the tensioning becomes problematic with the aftermarket brand...I don't think they hold up well... tensioning that is.

·
Registered
306 Posts
I've read complaints on here how the engine heat would allow the belt to possibly stretch...not necessarily catastrophic...more audible and annoyance...they do need to be installed at a lesser tension or they will whine... I'm sure someone who has used them will attest to this

·
Registered
306 Posts
california cycleworks exactfit? i've sold over 5,500 pairs of them as the australian distributor. i tension them as per the normal ducati belts. personally had no issues with the ones i've fitted.
Can't argue with that...lol...that's a big number

I'll get a whine on mine(Ducati brand) at 2k rpm upon reinstallation @ anything above 80hz...it's subtle but you hear it like a giggle decelerating...I've since taken to 105hz new and 75hz old and this seems to hold up unless I'm stuck in traffic and the engine gets nuclear...then she whines regardless but will quiet back down when things get normal again

Exact fit belts are 90hz and 70hz installed I believe...110hz and 80hz are the m821 recommended value
I'll find a video clip for reference when I get home this evening

·
Registered
275 Posts
I've had good luck with the CA CycleWorks belts.
Probably six or so sets, everything from a 996 to a 696 to an S2R800, S2R1000, S4RS, Cagiva Gran Canyon.
So we have covered 2 valve, 4 valve, air-cooled and water-cooled...
(Pretty sure I first found them through LT Snyder, and I trust his experience and judgement implicitly.)

Next will be my 1200 Multistrada, and I think I'll stick with those belts...

·
Registered
306 Posts
where did you get those numbers from?
I cant recall the exact post where it gave those numbers...it could have been a youtubers video...I came across it during my own research 4yrs ago... the main complaint I found was exact fit's belt noise...weather it was a wooing sound from being to tight or them burning up the bearings in the pulleys I can't recall exactly but it was enough to put me off of them...with that said there is a learning curve to all this stuff..It took me multiple installs before I could do it and make them be quiet...so weather its 99hz or 89hz this really translates to 1 or 2 degrees of rotation on the tension nut...its small and hardly worth taking everything apart to make the tiny adjustment...I suppose the money saved could go towards ear plugs...problem solved...but I just got in...dialing in the suspension on some new tires, going to be a minute before i find my belt noise video

Don't take my word for it...try Shazam's

https://www.ducati.org/forums/technical/81569-belt-tension-thermal-expansion-air-cooled.html#post945889

·
Registered
306 Posts
so you'll take the word of shazam, someone who never works on these bikes and has no experience fitting these belts, as the law?
No offense...but your pretty biased....you pedal these things...and Shazam knows his stuff...like really knows his stuff...maybe your getting him confused with Kazam...yeah I wouldn't listen any advice about belts from a basketball player dressed like a genie...but if Shazam says don't touch that screw I believe him and will start a crusade making sure everyone never touches it too...I can see you rolling your eyes but adjusting the Freeplay on the front brake will cause great bodily harm if not done properly...just leave it alone...if your running to your bike to see what I'm getting on about than it's on you..but I told you not to...lol

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
these bikes have been my work life for 25 years. all my work is here - BikeBoy.org

so i do have some actual knowledge and experience of working on these bikes.

i sell the exactfit belts, but my concern here is misinformation with them. i don't care what belts people use.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Ducati makes more mechanics than any other brand... still, 25 yrs experience means nothing if you have been doing it wrong...this has been my first bike ever and just look what people are saying about me...lol

·
Premium Member
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You too get a room :) or some boxing gloves...

CA cycleworks out of stock (I shared link yesterday, but no one noticed) they have been out of stock for a while and I think re-supply date is getting postponed weekly

I might just drop the coin and get dealer belts and tensioner bearings, got to get going on this or my summer plans are gonna fall through

·
Registered
306 Posts
You too get a room :) or some boxing gloves...

CA cycleworks out of stock (I shared link yesterday, but no one noticed) they have been out of stock for a while and I think re-supply date is getting postponed weekly

I might just drop the coin and get dealer belts and tensioner bearings, got to get going on this or my summer plans are gonna fall through
Try motowheels.com or there's always the eBay option

1 - 20 of 36 Posts