Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering all three bikes right now and for purposes of this question the price differences do not matter. 620 vs 1000, I like the look of the 1000 with the SSSA but I think the engine may not be as reliable as the 620 and there seemed to be alot more vibration come through the bars. What are your experences between these 2, which would be the most trouble free commuter bike for daily use over many years. MTS vs GS, anybody have experence with both, I really like the GS and am not sure I would be as happy with the MTS over the years. I know the MTS is sportier but I have a 800ss race bike for that, my street bikes are used used as my main transportion down to 35 F.
Thanks

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,716 Posts
fun choice you get to make, but why not the newer 1100 MTS motor? the newer Mutli's (2007 >) have some sort of dampening device built into the bar clamp/neck which goes to mitigate a lot of the vibration that you mention. i think it's widely known that the GS bikes can go forever, but are perhaps more costly to maintain. i like the idea of a lighter bike for commuter purposes as opposed to the heavier GS, but that's just me. the multi is a great all purpose motorcycle, and one that should outperform the GS in the twisties, but if that isn't important (you have a sport bike), then maybe the all-globe traveling GS is the right bike for you. i think the GS bikes are terrific and hope to have one some day. :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am looking in the local used market and that is why I did not mention the 1100DS, also I just don't think for a street bike more hp is needed. Why do you say a GS would be more to maintain, I would have thought the opposite as it is nessessary to remove the whole engine to adjust the valves on the vertical cylinder. I do like the lighter weight of the MDS but the GS is only 448 dry and other than at a standstill does not seem heavy when you are riding.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I am looking in the local used market and that is why I did not mention the 1100DS, also I just don't think for a street bike more hp is needed. Why do you say a GS would be more to maintain, I would have thought the opposite as it is nessessary to remove the whole engine to adjust the valves on the vertical cylinder. I do like the lighter weight of the MDS but the GS is only 448 dry and other than at a standstill does not seem heavy when you are riding.
Who told you that you have to drop the engine to adjust the valves?? funny...
the weight of most bikes go away once rolling. An MTS620 is a great bike but a bit hard to find used.. You can find a MTS1000 for a reasonable price out there seeing as they have been in the market for a few years..

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,716 Posts
you can find used 1100's and the motor is so much more smooth across the powerband (i've owned and ridden the 1000 motor). i prefer it, you might not.

ask your local bmw dealer what a 7k mile (or whatever the first major is) and compare it to that of the Ducati. as for the GS, the driveshaft would be much more to repair than the simple drivetrain of the ducati, or that would be my guess.

for commuting, i'll take the lighter bike all day long, your mileage may vary.

see ya

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Who told you that you have to drop the engine to adjust the valves?? funny...
A Ducati dealer told me that, can you adjust them by just removing the valve covers on the vertical cylinder? Looks pretty tight to me.

An MTS620 is a great bike but a bit hard to find used..
There are two used available locally, the one I was looking at is a 2006 with 3000miles and the factory side bags for $5800.

You can find a MTS1000 for a reasonable price out there seeing as they have been in the market for a few years..
The one I looked at seemed to have much more vibration in the bars than the 620 and I was concerned that it needed to have the valves adjusted as it wasover 5000 miles from the last adjustment and when I test rode it it stalled when I pulled the clutch in coming up to a stop which the owner said had also recently happened to him.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts