Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I'm moving from the US to Germany for a job, and I'm trying to weigh taking my existing bike or buying a bike when I get there. Here's what I got so far:

- Take existing bike: 2017 Monster 797 - Shipping will probably be $1500-$2000 plus $100 for crating at my local shop. I've read in some places I'll need to pay a 15% import tax, however I've read in other places since I'm giving up my US residence this tax is waived. I'll also have to get the headlight/indicators to EU standards.

- Buy bike when I get there: ~2015 Streetfighter 848...pricing seems to be between 6k and 8k euro.

I'll be there indefinitely, and will be using the bike to tour around proximal countries on weekend trips, and longer trips for vacations.

If anybody has any experience with a move like this it'd be super helpful to have somebody knowledgeable to talk with. :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Mobile.de is a good site to start with.

But unless you are personally attached to the bike, or the bike is rare (I shipped my 916SPS from the US to Canada, then from Canada to EU)... I did the same for my 999. Doing again, I would have sold the 999.

I would sell your bike (again, unless sentimental). Save the $1200-2000 on shipping (++plus insurance, peace of mind) on transport, and put that towards a new bike for the new start. Make it a token or symbol of the move.

US models vs EU models are often different due to US emissions dont forget. Most of the time that means more HP in EURO Models.

Importing is importing - Dont forget you are moving to a place 1300km away from the Birthplace of Italian Motorcycles... if the bike comes from the US or if it is from Italy, Spain or Austria - you have to pay tax on import regardless. Maybe not the special tax as US citizenship is being relinquished... but there will be a foreign tax based on emissions of some kind - they will get you.

...then the homologation, lights, brakes, inspections, noise testing...bla, bla, bla...that is time and paperwork.

Buy local, or buy from an EU country.

My experience.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll never sell the bike, I'm definitely the sentimental type. I probably have the option of keeping it garaged here in the states for free, though.

I'm not giving up citizenship, but I am giving up residency (termination of lease). I read that this warrants waiving the import tax here:
https://www.howtogermany.com/pages/import-car.html

It's got the stock (crap) US exhaust on it. I've wanted to get termis on, but I'm worried about going non-stock for importing there and maybe back. I assume I'll likely move back eventually, but don't know when. My industry generally requires you to move on every few years.

BTW, I love that SUV transport setup. :D

·
Registered
883 Posts
My industry generally requires you to move on every few years.
If that industry is connected to the military there are things like status of forces agreements in place so you don't need to worry about anything related to the bikes.

I lived in Germany for 7 years between the ages of 12 and 25.

Depending upon where it is in Germany you are going, there are some pretty awesome things you'll get to do without too much traveling to do them.

Wine country along the Rhine and Mosel rivers have memorable roads that are just an incredible experience. Not just the roads but the views.

Berlin was an awesome experience, though I went just after the Wall came down. Long drive there, but what an experience!

The bigger cities....meh, cool to see but less memorable somewhat than rolling down a twisty road along a river with castles high up on the cliffs to see.

Munich, Stuttgart and Frankfurt....cool to see, like I wrote but they come with big city traffic. Kinda dampens my enthusiasm for going to them unless I took the train in.

My last two years there I lived near the border with Luxembourg. There were so many places you could be within an hour from there it was ridiculous. Luxembourg City was around 40 minutes away, maybe less. Belgium and Spa Francorchamps was about the same.

The Nurburgring was maybe 30 minutes away....about an hour or so to the other side of Kaiserslautern and another to Hockenheimring.

Had great time there, haven't been back since the mid 2000s or so...very different from living there in the 1970s and 80s....sean

·
Premium Member
3,317 Posts
IMO - garage it and buy a bike for riding in the EU - especially if you have a friend who'll stash it for free (do a good job prepping it if you plan to be in the EU for a while).

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you are having a mph Tachometer only...you will not get it registered...if it shows both, you are good....just a thought...my 748s shows mph only and I am German...so, if I ever want to take it I have to change that

1 - 7 of 7 Posts