Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I am following my partner to Chicago for the next 5 years and am looking for any advice on living with a bike in a city in the east. Any good twisties/tracks nearby? What's riding in summer/spring/winter like? How do I store my bike for the winter? I'm sad to be leaving the SF Bay Area and it's amazing weather, roads and motorcyclists (sigh, no more lane splitting too) but excited to explore what's out there.

·
Premium Member
3,137 Posts
Hi all,

I am following my partner to Chicago for the next 5 years and am looking for any advice on living with a bike in a city in the east. Any good twisties/tracks nearby? What's riding in summer/spring/winter like? How do I store my bike for the winter? I'm sad to be leaving the SF Bay Area and it's amazing weather, roads and motorcyclists (sigh, no more lane splitting too) but excited to explore what's out there.
Chicago is always iffy for riding, I have only been on my bike 3 times since last mid September. Don;t ride inthe winter, Illinois uses salt. There are some decent roads in south eastern Wisconsin, western Wisconsin, and western Illinios, near Galena.

Save your vacation time and meet us at Deal's Gap second week of May.

There are track days. There are several shops that will store your bike in the winter (for a fee).

Or, find another partner and stay where you are.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Hi all,

I am following my partner to Chicago for the next 5 years and am looking for any advice on living ....
Keep your head down, stay inside at night, wear body armor when you go to the local convenience store for milk. Don't stand near anyone at the McBurger that's wearing their ~shoot me shirt~ (gang colors).

:surprise:

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,384 Posts
Buy a tank.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Get clothes that are warmer than you think you will ever need. A freaking parka. Winter is brutal, and there are no twisty roads. You will want your bike inside for winter, unless you want it sitting under snow and ice. Sorry, but those are the facts and why I moved TF out. I think the south side is still the baddest part of town.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
A few other things ...
a) Because, in part, to the long, dismal winters, roads (particularly after the Spring thaw) are in terrible condition. A sportbike suspension deals with this poorly.
b) Midwestern drivers are not attuned to motorcycles at all.
c) Traffic density along the interstates does not fall off as quickly as one would expect. The Lake presents a physical barrier and a lot of "Chicago" traffic isn't going there, but is forced to go through the area because of the water.
d) Because of the above, and particularly along I-80 and I-94, a large percentage of vehicles are heavy trucks, all seemingly with tired pissed-off drivers playing Donkey Kong on their cell phones or going 80 mph trying to make up lost time.
e) While there are some tracks around, you won't be doing much canyon-carving in the area. There's lots going on in the city and no reason not to get there on city streets (not expressways). But that's much more a Scrambler or ADV territory than 1198.
f) I think that low-mile pristine used bikes are cheap compared to what you're probably used to on the Left Coast. (West coast is Chicago side of Lake Michigan ...), but Ducs are pretty rare vs Honda and, of course, H-D.

Good luck!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Whoooo whoop. Thanks all!

Guess I’m better list my Pani :( At least I have my sport classic to roam around on. Thank god this is only temporary. Time to try out a cruiser maybe.

Anyone know any cool cafes/around in the city? I’ll be moving to Hyde Park.

·
Registered
2,511 Posts
Lots of people here refer to anything east of AZ or NV as "back east".
Chicago is def mid west. :laugh:

Chicago has lots of interesting museums and other stuff. We went several times when I was kid to the Museum of Science and Industry.

Chicago has the best pizza too.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Right, Midwest. Not east. Noted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
414 Posts
In Chicago, my bike of choice would be a 1992 600 Katana, with body colors from 3 different bikes and some rash. Anything better than than and you get pushed over at a stop light and your bike taken.

Ok let's be realistic: get a track bike and head to Blackhawk Farms Raceway or Autobahn Country Club.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Awesome, thank you for the advice everyone! I'll have to check out those tracks. I'm glad there are a few.

Is a CHL actually necessary? Have people on the forum actually gotten into trouble?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Also, Road America is a nice 2.5 hour drive north. World class 4 mile track in the woods. Chi Town is a pretty good part of the country to be in for track action.

·
Registered
7,405 Posts
Wear all your gear, you’ll need it to stay warm . There is a reason they call it the Windy City. Always carry two guns, one to prevent them from stealing the other one. Stay off toll roads as much as possible, the booths cause massive back ups. You have to get well out of the city to find a place to ride. For 50 miles in any direction it’s nothing but traffic and potholes. Sorry.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts