Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just arrived to germany about a month ago on a military PCS. Movers came yesterday and unpacked the crated bike(M696), only to find out that the bike was leaning on the side. GREAT!!! first problem, I am thinking handlebar, clutch, standard stuff. Looked like a tie down on the bike snapped and then all hell broke loose during transit.
Anyway they get the bike down and everything actually looks good...until the kickstand goes down. Oh by the way, the kickstand was down in the crate and the bike was leaning, you guessed it, on its left. the mover had to kick it up to get it out of the crate. so the kickstand looks like it is bend and loose, but I look under and that's when the shit hit the fan. The kickstand is screwed into the engine block. instead of the kickstand, or the screw snapping, guess what gives...the engine. The engine block has broken into pieces around the screw, which would explain the oil leak inside the truck.
So here is what happened. these f'ing bone heads crated the bike and didn't put up the kickstand, during the trip a tie down snapped, bike leaned on its left side and it was leaning enough to put too much weight on the kickstand which then cracked the engine.
I am filing a claim to the agency today, the process takes about 60 days, so now I am stuck. Was really hoping to hop on the bike but now all is lost for the season.
I guess the whole engine needs to be replaced, onless you guys know something I don't know. I will get it towed to the dealership sometime this week and get an estimate for repair. I am worried the bike might be a total loss.
will update
JL :mad::mad:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Sorry to hear that blows, you'd think these guys would have some experience with this stuff. Hope it works out

Smuts

·
Administrator
12,796 Posts
I am really sorry to hear this and know how you feel. Movers did $5K worth of damage to my second K1200LT a few years ago. They really didn't seem to care at all about making sure the bike arrived in good condition.

·
Registered
312 Posts
That's when you have to go after them for a new 1100s because of unnecessary "roughness." I hate people that have no regard for other peoples stuff, especially when it is expensive...

·
Registered
182 Posts
I was going to ask you why you didn't ride it, but I guess that would be hard to do through a body of water.

Sucks that it happened, I'd be flipping out 60 days without my bike. That's why I sold my Aprilia.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've PCS'sd I think five times to Germany, three trips included bikes. My '85 K100RT made it fine as did my '95 Roadking but my '03 K1200RS was leaning against the side of the crate on the end of the throttle grip. The angle only did enough damage to rough up the very end of the grip, fortunately!

Your case really sucks, it just plain sucks:mad: Good luck with the process and hopefully it will work out to your benefit. If the worst that comes out of it is not being able to ride this year then you're getting off easy. The important thing is to get what's owe'd you!

Best of luck!

Where are you stationed?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've PCS'sd I think five times to Germany, three trips included bikes. My '85 K100RT made it fine as did my '95 Roadking but my '03 K1200RS was leaning against the side of the crate on the end of the throttle grip. The angle only did enough damage to rough up the very end of the grip, fortunately!

Your case really sucks, it just plain sucks:mad: Good luck with the process and hopefully it will work out to your benefit. If the worst that comes out of it is not being able to ride this year then you're getting off easy. The important thing is to get what's owe'd you!

Best of luck!

Where are you stationed?
Stationed at Ramstein. It's been an experience so far. Was so looking forward to ride it. Luckily, the dealer is only 28km away. the manager stopped by last night and picked up the bike himself. He told me already the engine would need replacement. Estimate by friday. we'll see.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Stationed at Ramstein. It's been an experience so far. Was so looking forward to ride it. Luckily, the dealer is only 28km away. the manager stopped by last night and picked up the bike himself. He told me already the engine would need replacement. Estimate by friday. we'll see.
Strongly encourage him to total it, explain that you'll buy the replacement through him. Which dealer is it, is it also a BMW dealer?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Todd
Out of curiosity, why would you say that? Is it because we don't know the extent of the damage? Should engines not be replaced? My mechanical knowledge is limited. Please expand. thanks
JL

·
Registered
279 Posts
Todd
Out of curiosity, why would you say that? Is it because we don't know the extent of the damage? Should engines not be replaced? My mechanical knowledge is limited. Please expand. thanks
JL
Make sure he has a way to check the frame for straightness, which I bet he doesn't, that is why I would want it totaled. I just wouldn't trust the frame or steering head anymore. I miss Germany.

·
Registered
163 Posts
This post is creeping me out. I currently have two of my bikes on their way over to the UK from the US. Even before they left the country they were treating them wrong. They sent pictures of how they crated them and I had to raise shit about it. They had my SS strapped in a way that the body was what was being compressed with the straps!! Worse is that the paint and body (race Bike) is completely brand new and custom (i.e. not cheap). Not to mention the bike is a completely gone through and basically a hand built race bike from rims to gas cap.

I went for the crazy insurance and so if there is ANY damage I WILL be filling a claim for sure!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I spent most of my career in the army overseas (I think I have credit for seven overseas tours) so I have had the unfortunate pleasure of many PCS shipments.

And the sad thing is I can't recall a PCS move where something wasn't either broke or stolen by movers or broke in transit from poor packing by (the packers/movers). And for those that haven't gone through it you just might not be able to picture how messed up of a system it is.

On one trip back from Germany I had 5 russian drug fiends (packers) led by a german who had trouble conveying his directions to them.

Things like PCS moves are one burden soldiers bear that we sure wish we didn't have to.

On the other hand having a bike in Europe as an american stationed there is the bomb!!!:D:D:D

I've ridden some of the greatest roads in the world and toured all over the place.

Come to think of it, having a bike, good beer, and spiessbraten make the burdens worth it :D:D:D

Good luck with your bikes all of you!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Got the estimate from the dealer:
3600 euros to replace "engine casing". Don't know the technical term. Anyway, he looked over the bike and saw no other damage, so tha's good. I'll have to wait for claims to clear (30-60days) so now I have to be patient....again:( This has been the worst move of my entire life. And I have moved a ton

·
Registered
163 Posts
Well I am feeling better now. My bikes made it in one piece and look fine. It is always nice to say something positive. Hopefully this will be a similar story for the rest of you guys.

Cheers, Steve

·
Registered
511 Posts
Crate your own bikes, so that you are satisfied with how it's being done. Or have someone who knows how to do it, do it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
yeah that sucks...good old military PCS

I guess I will peek at my side stand. I am not sure bolting it to the engine block is the best design. But what do I know. I am just an EOD guy.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
yeah that sucks...good old military PCS

I guess I will peek at my side stand. I am not sure bolting it to the engine block is the best design. But what do I know. I am just an EOD guy.
Since Ducati uses the motor as a stressed member there is no other place to bolt a kickstand. If you will notice the swingarm is also attached directly to the motor. The trellis frame is basically used to support the steering head and hold the airbox.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts