Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm aware of the RoadsterCycle kits ("Jack"), and the mounting plates etc... Good stuff, and seems very reliable (no Chinese clones).

Link for those unaware = https://roadstercycle.com/

So is it just best to mount the FH020AA in the same location as the stock voltage regulator?

The "Super Plate" that Jack offers has enough holes and sheer size to probably adapt it to just about any need.

Ideas? Criticisms? Experiences? Anyone?

Thank you!

(y)

·
Registered
926 Posts
I'd just mount it where ever it is most protected. A MOSFET doesn't need much airflow over it, as they run quite cool by design.

The stock location isn't bad but it was mounted there mostly for airflow, leaving it open to anything slung off the front wheel.

I was planning to mount mine under the seat, as I am installing a solo seat, the tray under it would go unused for the most part so makes a perfect spot to mount one.....sean

·
Registered
739 Posts
The stock RR on my Sport Classic was factory located in a compartment under the seat (rather like the tool tray on the SS) and was completely out of the airflow. It got very hot in operation there and eventually took a powder (killing my almost new battery battery too) and stranded me on a busy Chicago expressway in rush hour. It wasn't a fun experience. I replaced it with a FH020AA and mounted it literally under the seat and above the rear hugger out in the breeze by drilling a hole in the tray and rerouting the wires outside. It has been flawless for 8-9 years. With the waterproof connectors on the Shindengen RR I'm not worried about the environment being an issue. Jack at Roadster is a first rate vendor too.

Terry

Edit- I also added an LED voltage monitor after the bike died on the expressway so I can always see what's happening electrically. Modern bikes won't run without a good battery to power the fuel injection and ignition. The Shindengen RR output is rock steady.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks everyone! Your responses have been informative and noteworthy. I still have to save up the $175-odd dollars to obtain the ~kit~, then I'll be able to rewire the charging system, add the new VR, and install the new Lith/Ion battery and heavy duty cables. Until then I'll limp along with the lead/acid lump. Thanks again for the help!

:cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts