Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided on my oil and it's Motul.

I'm looking at a fully synthetic version. What does everyone use, that uses full synthetic?

I went to their website and it seems they are more concerned with their flash animations rather then getting me the information I need to buy their product :( . I couldn't wait for the stupid movie to download and there was no "skip" button (amateurs).

·
Registered
18 Posts
I use the Motul 5W-50 Technosythese (sp) I believe that it is semi-synthetic but it seems to work well in a bunch of temperature ranges.

·
Registered
709 Posts
after having used Motul, Motorex, and a host of other $12+ per litre fully synthetic oils up to 60W...I have decided to use full synth. 15-50 Mobil1. You can buy it bulk pretty cheap at some places.

Honestly, considering I change the oil in my racebike every weekend, and In my streetbike [which I don't beat on] every 2500 miles. I'm having trouble justifying the additional cost for some of these "high spec" oils. I can't see it seriously degrading over the relatively short period it is in my motor. But...I'm no oil expert by any stretch. I tear my motor down every winter and have yet to see any internal oil related problems [maybe I just can't see them ;)] My rod bearings had very minor scuffs, but were certainly OK..as were the mains [which I changed anyway, just because I was in there] the small end bushings looked perfect. I dunno...I think that proper viscosity [for your temp/riding conditions, and regular changing is really the key. Remember, the first 90 seconds is the key. That is about how long it takes for your oil pump to get good oil up to the valve train. The heavier the oil, the colder it is, the longer it takes. Be nice to your bike, pick an oil viscosity that matches what you will do with the motor [riding-wise], and let it warm up before you take off.

I'm now running a neo magnet on my filter, which I really believe helps filtration [pulling the ferrous metal particles out]. I don't have any "cut open" filters yet...but will after the season gets under way. I saved one from last year's final race weekend for comparative purposes. So we'll see.

thats my

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
One member pointed out in a post some time ago that the 90 seconds thing for oil to get to your valvetrain was gotten from one test by Sigma Performance on a certain bike. And now this is sorta looked at as a rule for all Ducatis. I forget the member who pointed out they took something apart and saw within like 5 seconds oil was up to the valvetrain. I don't know for sure but the way I see it I play it safe and give the bike time to warm up.

I warm up my bike some till I take off. Gives me time to get all my gear on, then putt putt to the start/finish line while I wait for the session to start at the track.

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
+1 on Mobil 1 15-50
From the old Hall of Wisdom
http://www.ducati.ms/ubbthreads/sho...=136666&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=0&fpart=

I have used Mobil 1 15-50 (old bottle red cap) with no complaints and the inside of my motor proved it when I cracked the cases. Although, Mobil 1 has added a new line of oil with a red cap called extended mileage or something to that effect and its harder to find the 15-50 red cap. My local Napa has even stopped carrying it. If I cant find cases of it to stock up on I will switch to Amsoil. I have used both mobil1 and amsoil in my truck since day one. I trust their oil in my bike.

C

·
0 Posts
full synth

Golden spectro or Mobil 4 full synth is the only thing that touches my engine

·
Registered
69 Posts
level7 said:
I've decided on my oil and it's Motul.

I'm looking at a fully synthetic version. What does everyone use, that uses full synthetic?

Motul does offer several different forms of synthetics, both blends using mineral and synthetic stocks as well as synthetics using a blend of different synthetic stocks. If you want their top of line product it is 300V Sport/Competition, a 100% POE base stock synthetic. The Sport is 10w-40, Competition is higher viscosity 15w-50, otherwise each is identical. The primary advantage to this formulation is low temperature flow rate and high temp stability. If you're doing track days and/or running motor in sub freezing temps, use this stuff.

If you want to save some $$ and your engine sees less extreme conditions, Motul 5100 is a synthetic blend that uses some percentage of Diester oil (not POE, per my local dealer) added to a mineral base stock. Diester base is what most synthetics use, such as Mobil 1 and is certainly more cost effective approach than the far more expensive POE base stocks. Diester compounds leave minimal coking (carbon deposits) under extreme heat conditions just like their POE base cousins, but are not quite as viscosity stable and do not flow at low temps as well as the POE base stocks.

In that your bike employs a dry clutch and is water-cooled, it really is not overly stressful on engine oil versus most bike engines that also use integrated constant mesh gearboxes. It's your $$, I'll let you decide if you feel the need and/or benefit of using the pure POE base 300V oil in your bike. For what it's worth, Redline and Silkolene are very similar POE based oils, if you're bargain shopping and one or both of these oils is available to you locally for same or lesser cost, you may also want to consider them as alternative to the Motul 300V. No matter which oil you choose, I'd highly recommend using 15-50 viscosity in any Ducati motor. Take care

·
http://www.ducati-owners-group.c
2,008 Posts
Any of the above mentioned are great. I like Mobil 1 for the price/quality. You know with Mobil 1 there won't be any issues. And hell, the guys use Mobil 1 in Indy cars and Cup racing...

IMPORTANT...I idle my bike up to 125 degrees before slowly taking off--everytime

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bigmac said:
...It's your $$, I'll let you decide if you feel the need and/or benefit of using the pure POE base 300V oil in your bike. For what it's worth, Redline and Silkolene are very similar POE based oils, if you're bargain shopping and one or both of these oils is available to you locally for same or lesser cost, you may also want to consider them as alternative to the Motul 300V. No matter which oil you choose, I'd highly recommend using 15-50 viscosity in any Ducati motor. Take care
It's funny you should mention this. I was talking to a co-worker today who used to race bikes and he also mentioned that for how I ride (or most people) we would never degrade the life of the oil to dangerous levels if we keep a 2-3k oil change interval with dino/synthetic oil.

So it looks like I have a lot more options. I like them all; Motul, Redline, Silkolene and Mobil1. It's unfortunate that seeing all of them on the shelves is rare :(. It will probably come down to what is popular in my area.

I'm partial to full synthetics because we don't have to tap natural resources (hopefully) to create it. God knows I've taken my fair share of petroleum based products. :)

So I think I'll go look for some Motul 300v. If I can't find any, then it will be Mobil1.

Silkolene, forget about it. It's not going to be available near me or I would have seen/heard about it by now. I didn't hear of it till I joined this board although, this is what I would probably get if I saw it on the shelf and it wasn't overpriced.

Redline, I would have to schlep to an automotive speedshop to maybe find it.

Thanks for everyone's suggestion. You've been a well behaved bunch today. :) There were some really great responses.

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
level7 said:
God knows I've taken my fair share of petroleum based products. :)
Hey remember KY & Astroglide are not petro based...its water based!

Oh yeah this is a oil thread on a motorcyle board...ooops my bad!

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Another Amsoil 20W50. Doesn't Mobil 1 make a 20W50 V-Twin oil anyways? I would think that would be good instead of hunting around for the red cap?

·
Registered
218 Posts
The Motul 300V is the full synthetic. A real full synthetic oil is one made entirely from ester. Many oils claiming to be full synthetic, including Mobil 1, aren't really 100% synthetic, but are a combo of POA, with highly refined mineral (dino) oils. Marketing at it's best....
For the *real* ester synthetics, check Silkolene, Amsoil, Motul and Redline.

That being said, I've used the Mobil 1 red cap in my Duc for years with good results. It doesn't seem to be available any longer, so I currently have the new one in there...still 5w50, but I think it has a gray or gold cap...can't remember.

·
Administrator
6,191 Posts
Yep...

I looked and I am using the 300V Motul.
There has been lots of debate on the oil issue, but when it comes to my bike, I spare no expense.

I think I paid 20.00 for a 2 liter bottle.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
If you change regularly, use a good (Ducati) filter, and use a good name brand oil, I personally don't think there is such a thing as bad oil...except for maybe Quaker State!! Any one with a good reputation is going to do a good job I feel. Pick which bottle looks the best and put your mind at ease!! I literally went with Amsoil because of thier reputation and had used some of thier other fluids with good results (gear and trans fluid), and it said V-Twing on the bottle. If it wasn't for Amsoil, I would use Mobil 1 V-Twin 20W50 motorcycle oil. Sorry, it may be a sales gimmic, but that "V-Twin" on the bottle gives me piece of mind and that is priceless. Could be total crap advertising and total crap oil, but I'll feel good dang-it!!!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts