Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,670 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received my issue of Motorcyclist (Jan 07) and after a quick overview I went back to the cover to see if this was a special Ducati lickfest issue sent to Ducati owners.

1098 First ride report. Awesome. What a bike and the author loved everything about it. Way more bike than I can handle, but this is what gets the heart pounding and makes you go bike shopping.

Cafe Racer Camparo Ducati Sport 1000 vs Triumph Thruxton

Ready Duck - AMS cafe racer. Hats off to our local Dallas dealer for this hot rod. Now that is a streetfighter! I'm going to ride by the store to see if it is on display.

MC Garage - 1500.00 surgery on a 620 Monster.

Smart Money - Of course a Ducati 999.

By now my eyes are bleeding. (Ducati red of course!)
They keep this up and I may buy a lifetime subscription.

Ducati Rules ... at least this month.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
I'm one happy man at the apparent (what am i saying, it's not even out yet) success of the 1098....means duc will be around to crank out replacement 749s parts for years to come :D

·
Registered
852 Posts
RedScare said:
I'm one happy man at the apparent (what am i saying, it's not even out yet) success of the 1098....means duc will be around to crank out replacement 749s parts for years to come :D

There is soooo much GOOD that is (I believe) going to come from this...
Recently my little old '97 900ss (which I absolutly love) has been needing a few "little" parts (rubber parts especially -due to age) ...and I got to thinking the other day -What if "the company" HAD dried-up a few years ago... :(

I hope it never happens. I think this "new focus" is a step in the right direction.

I hope.

·
Administrator
5,816 Posts
rickmillertx said:
Ready Duck - AMS cafe racer. Hats off to our local Dallas dealer for this hot rod. Now that is a streetfighter! I'm going to ride by the store to see if it is on display.

I PM'ed AMS.
The bike is in South Cali.

Dammit!

·
Registered
852 Posts
Thanks Rainman!

I almost rode out there today too... Looks like I'll catch up on laundry instead -and go tomorrow. :D

·
Registered
568 Posts
RedScare said:
Excellent point. I do hope that the 1098 is as successful as we all hope. That way the persistent rumours of Ducati's imminent demise will be put to rest.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I just finished reading the article. I hope Ducati will be able to keep up with demand, and not become like Harley in the early nineties.

·
Premium Member
1,956 Posts
I'm really hoping that the 1098 is a HUGE success and that it prompts Ducati to re-launch the ST range with the 1098 engine. They have about 3 years to get their act together. That's when I'll probably be in the market for a new Sport Tourer. My ST4s should be worn out by then.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The 999 series hurt them in sales so badly Im surprised it took them so long to come out with the next generation design. I have two friends who are dealership owners, they are so excited about the 1098. One of them already has his compliment of 1098's SOLD!!!!!

This is going to be so good for Ducati. Thank God.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Ducati_Joe said:
The 999 series hurt them in sales so badly Im surprised it took them so long to come out with the next generation design.

hmmm that's two now. :mad:

If we're gonna talk about pure #s.....I believe the 999 sold more or as many units in each year vs. each year for the 996 or 998 :abduct: not saying anything more than pure #s.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Ducati_Joe said:
The 999 series hurt them in sales so badly Im surprised it took them so long to come out with the next generation design. I have two friends who are dealership owners, they are so excited about the 1098. One of them already has his compliment of 1098's SOLD!!!!!

This is going to be so good for Ducati. Thank God.
actually the dependability of the 916- 996 bikes scared off more potential customers than the styling of the 999.

·
Registered
852 Posts
kaos said:
actually the dependability of the 916- 996 bikes scared off more potential customers than the styling of the 999.
Scared me away... And I'm a willing victim for most abuse.
Poor electricals, doomed rockers...

I WAS looking for a mint 998 when I found info on the 1098 last summer...

:) :) :) :)

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
RedScare said:
hmmm that's two now. :mad:

If we're gonna talk about pure #s.....I believe the 999 sold more or as many units in each year vs. each year for the 996 or 998 :abduct: not saying anything more than pure #s.
No, that is not true. But if you insist, post the Ducati numbers, which are on the website. While the aesthetics of the 916/999 are an individual taste thing, the sales numbers are not subjective.

Also, I am reading here that one reason for lower 999 sales is the poor reliability of the 916 series. Well of course it was a contributing factor, but no more so than on the sales of the 916 family itself.

Please....do not try to re-invent history. Both of these bikes are dead and gone, but for the racing team next year. Ducati seems to have learned a lot. Let's focus on those lessons learned while we enjoy the bikes we currently ride.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Did Ducati "roll the dice" with the 749/999 design?

Ducati Joe,

In the world of motor vehicles, it takes a few years to make major changes, due to the time to design, tool and develop new hardware. That's true whether we're talking cars or bikes.

All the more important a manufacturer truly understand the appeal (or lack of)in a new design. Why do you think the car companies have marketing focus groups with their intended buyers - to make sure the design changes resonate with them. That said, it is not unknown for upper management to ignore marketing clinic results or for companies not to ask the buyers what they think at all during the development process. Which do you think describes Ducati?

·
Registered
132 Posts

I'm keeping my 999, but I'm also buying a couple hundred shares of Ducati stock. The 1098 is looking good for the company, maybe I'll make enough off the stock to get a 1098.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
bevel450 said:
No, that is not true. But if you insist, post the Ducati numbers, which are on the website.
DNA's response to my inquirey re: exact 996, 998 and 999 single year sales

"Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry. This type of information is not distributed to the general public.

Best Regards and Happy Holidays!"

:D

as a side note, DNA has gotten much better about answering emailed questions.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
RedScare said:
DNA's response to my inquirey re: exact 996, 998 and 999 single year sales

"Hello,

Thank you for your inquiry. This type of information is not distributed to the general public.

Best Regards and Happy Holidays!"

:D

as a side note, DNA has gotten much better about answering emailed questions.
Typical response. "Dear Valued Customer, F%@& off. Happy Holidays."

Thank you DNA. *faugh* :mad:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
nah they've been good to me before when I've had questions, like how many of my bikes were imported....maybe I should have asked for production numbers instead of sales numbers.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts