Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a two day track day coming up at Thunderhill on a Monday and Tuesday hosted by Keigwin. My brother-in-law and I will put our bikes in a newly bought trailer and haul it up there Sunday afternoon. My question is about motorcycle security while staying at motels in places I'm not familiar with. Two bikes on an open trailer sitting in a motel parking lot. One bike is full of carbon fiber fairings that are easy to remove. Is there any pre-cautions I need to take while the bikes are sitting in an open trailer while we are sleeping? Also I noticed that Keigwin says on their web site, "Paddock camping permitted the night before."

When you have a two day track school at Thunderhill, do we leave the bikes and trailer at Thunderhill after the first day and go back to our motels? Or do we re-load the bikes back on the trailer and goto our motel and bring back the bikes the next day?

Also, which motel/hotel near Thunderhill that are bike friendly would you recommend?

Any past experiences or advice would be appreciated.

Much Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
Make sure you lock the bikes like you would leaving them outside over night.
I also have a Spyball alarm on my bike that i engage. Maybe get a Xena discbrake alarm?

When you stop for the night, chain your trailer to your car (you can buy 10feet BIG chains at boat suppliers) Backing the trailer up against a wall prevents theft of the entire trailer with bikes on them (happened to a friend of mine). Think about pulling a tarpolin/cover over the bikes when you stop for the night. Fasten with bungy cords or zip-ties/rope.

The best thing to have is a spyball or motionsensor alarm on the trailer. Because your probably going to be sleeping not far from the bikes and you´ll hear the alarm when it goes off. And ALWAYS park the trailer under well lit conditions.

EDIT: I go to 10-15 trackdays a year and i haven´t had a bike stolen yet. But the REAL challenge is finding out of the way spots to stay. If you stay at a busy motel, your taking a bigger chance then at some "out of the way" B&B.

//amullo

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I have friends who have booked ground floor units and got the bikes into the room with them.. Luckily they didn't get caught.
I once stayed at a pub where the owner said " Geeze mate, I wouldn't leave that parked outside, bring it in and we'll stick it in the lounge bar (kinda restaurant). He even organised a couple of blike to help me get it up the stairs, they decided the main bar would have been better but the owner thought the drunks might want to 'play'. One of the benifits of a Ducati I guess.

Mal

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree with mal.

I'd be making sure I got a ground floor room (because of my old war wound) and the bike would go inside once it got dark.

Leaving the two of them out there on a trailer is just asking for them to be gone when you come out in the morning. How easy would it be to steal?

·
Registered
329 Posts
--xXXx-- said:
I agree with mal.

I'd be making sure I got a ground floor room (because of my old war wound) and the bike would go inside once it got dark.

Leaving the two of them out there on a trailer is just asking for them to be gone when you come out in the morning. How easy would it be to steal?
Whenever I have to get a hotel room and have the bike with me I get a ground floor and put the bikes inside hahaha. If by chance I cant get a ground floor room I will ask the hotel to see if I can park the truck/trailer in view of the front desk. I have yet to have a hotel that gave me a hard time. They will ask for you to park it out of the way so you dont block traffic but that is something to expect.

As for the track, some tracks allow you to drop off your trailer/bikes the night before. I have done that at VIR once and it worked like a charm. Nobody will mess with your bike.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
see about arriving Sunday evening to drop the trailer off at the track...most tracks have security...then you go to your Motel room or do whatever Sunday night and arrive at the track carefree and readyin the morning...that is what I am doing at VIR for my Monday and Tuesday trackdays coming up on the 10th and 11th...

·
Registered
18 Posts
You can camp in my front yard and have the Bikes right next to you in the driveway if you would feel safer, and its free! I live four blocks away from the Hotels in Willows.

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
Ghostdog said:
You can camp in my front yard and have the Bikes right next to you in the driveway if you would feel safer, and its free! I live four blocks away from the Hotels in Willows.
Plus.. ITS FREE CAMPING!

w00t! :D :D :D :D

//amullo

·
Premium Member
8,729 Posts
Amullo has some good common sense advice. I normally stay at the Best Western there in Willows. I ask for a room where I can park my truck and trailer pretty much outside the door. My first trailer was an open type like yours and I must admit I was a little paranoid about theft. I did throw a cover over it, but thats about it. The experience with the open trailer drove me to buy an enclosed unit, I'm very happy with it. However, as we all know, even enclosed units have been broken in to, nothing is absolutely theftproof. It seems having an enclosed unit may even attract attention, especially those with decals all over them. I even toyed with the idea of putting disinformation decals on the trailer, like "biological waste, human blood, etc". I like Amullos idea of attaching a good motion sensor alarm on the bike, this alone is enough to scare anyone off. I think I'll look around for one now for my enclosed trailer.

You may want to check with Willows PD to ascertain the incidence of theft related to track days and schools. We all know the track brings in a lot of dough for the little town of Willows, what else is out there? I'm sure they are very keen on protecting the hand that feeds them, so to speak. Personally, I haven't heard of any problems there, it seems motorcyclists are everywhere and they are the unofficial watchdogs without even knowing it.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
mals900ss said:
I have friends who have booked ground floor units and got the bikes into the room with them.. Luckily they didn't get caught.
I once stayed at a pub where the owner said " Geeze mate, I wouldn't leave that parked outside, bring it in and we'll stick it in the lounge bar (kinda restaurant). He even organised a couple of blike to help me get it up the stairs, they decided the main bar would have been better but the owner thought the drunks might want to 'play'. One of the benifits of a Ducati I guess.

Mal
It sure is nice to hear that there are decent people out there. Stories like this make me happy, at least for the next 10 minutes until CNN posts something to snap me back to reality.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I have found that track events at the club level are actually quite safe for bikes, as well as tools, equipment, supplies, etc. I have never heard of anything being stolen by anyone at any time....

That's not saying it doesn't happen, but overall, people generally know who they are pitted next to and everyone tends to look after each other.

·
Registered
407 Posts
At most hotels/motels - ask for a handicapped room... always on the ground floor & the entry door is usually wider so it's easier to get the bikes through.

·
Senior Moment
1,474 Posts
I've also been to Thunderhill numerous times. I think the Best Western is the "Golden Pheasant Inn". all one-story. I run cable locks through everything and bring tools, easy-up, and other things into the room. The bike is cabled into the trailer with gas cans also cabled. If they want the bike, they have to take the gas and the trailer.

The night between the two track days, leave it all at the track, cable lock everything. sometimes, they have a big damn shed into which the bikes can go.

Have fun

·
Registered
299 Posts
No troubles ever parked at the track overnight.

But I've had some nervous nights with the bike and fuel all sitting in motel parking lots. I do my best to find a place where I can put the rig right at my bedroom door.

:)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts