Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Harbor Freight standard foot pump model bought on sale for $279. Love it! Having a pull out for side stands would be nice for centering the bike but it was only $279. Comes with a wheel chock but I prefer using the limit plate instead and a Canyon Dancer with straps fore and aft. Very nice having the bike at eye level. Fits my 999, my two CBXs and Hayabusa and my kid's bikes, an SV650 and Sprint RS 955i Triple as well. Supposed to be sturdy enough for a Harley or Gold Wing but my guess would be that it might be a tad tippy with heavy weights up high.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,662 Posts
We used couple cheap HF type lifts for many years, they are nice for scooters but big bikes make me nervous, have to be careful because it's pretty wobbly. Eventually hydraulics started leaking and metal broke in some places, but still functional.

I still use the cheap lift in the office but only because the shop bought a used electric powered lift for $400 in good shape. Cant recall the name but it's a good one, for my money used quality lift better than new China-junk

·
Registered
740 Posts
I don't have one, but I've been considering building this. Seems like it would be a fun little project and the design looks solid. I'm still young though and my knees don't ache yet so I haven't had the motivation to do it. :D

·
Demotivational Member
1,603 Posts
Harbor Freight standard foot pump model bought on sale for $279. Love it! Having a pull out for side stands would be nice for centering the bike but it was only $279. Comes with a wheel chock but I prefer using the limit plate instead and a Canyon Dancer with straps fore and aft. Very nice having the bike at eye level. Fits my 999, my two CBXs and Hayabusa and my kid's bikes, an SV650 and Sprint RS 955i Triple as well. Supposed to be sturdy enough for a Harley or Gold Wing but my guess would be that it might be a tad tippy with heavy weights up high.
+1 Nelli lives on this lift. Not because it always needs work, but for space constraints. I've had the lift for a couple years with no complaints.

·
Temporary greeter
23,066 Posts
I picked up a used Handy lift from a local Ducati dealer who went out of business. They had like 15 of them and I was lucky to snag this one.

It is a great lift, but they are quite expensive new.

·
Premium Member
2,379 Posts
Ours came originally from some bloke who sold them out of a factory it probably came from China. It looked like this A349 | Motorcycle Lifter | machineryhouse.com.au except that in addition to the foot pump there is also provision for hydraulic air hose. This sounded nice, but we have rarely used it as we find we need the air hose to use for other things when servicing the bikes other than conveniently lowering or raising the bike.

You ask what we would have done differently - probably nothing as convenience comes at a price. What my husband did do to make it function properly was:

He made up and replaced the front tyre holder thingy with a removable over centre holder with a removable stop in front examples of it on and off the bench are attached as sometimes you don't want anything at the front of the work bench.

Replaced the silly little wheels with proper rotating and locking castors for ease of movement.

The stand whilst it could be lowered up and down by foot or air, came with only two height adjustments, a ratcheting system has been added giving 12 different lockable height adjustments. Unfortunately I can't get access to the camera at the moment and none of the photos really show it, but if you want I'll ask him to take some later.

We are lucky enough to have rafters in the garage, so have a place to "hang" the bikes up if we want to as well.

All in all, the cheapy workbench now resembles a product that we would have paid at least four or five times as much for and it works for us.:D

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
I picked up a used Handy lift from a local Ducati dealer who went out of business. They had like 15 of them and I was lucky to snag this one.

It is a great lift, but they are quite expensive new.
+1on the handy lift got mine the same way ,local dealer went belly up.Got it for$400 very litte use on it ,great piece!

·
Chilehead
6,979 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
+1 for the Harbor Freight lift. Works great for the home garage. Wish I had bought one years ago and saved my back. The only mod I made was installing a "roll on" front wheel stand so I could push the bike onto the lift, directly into the front wheel stand which locks it in place........... eliminates messing with the center stand, tie downs, or clamp style wheel stands. I've had my setup for about 8 years now with no problems.

·
Temporary greeter
23,066 Posts
+1on the handy lift got mine the same way ,local dealer went belly up.Got it for$400 very litte use on it ,great piece!
THIS IS the one we have now, AWESOME lift, can handle a Harley

We got it for $400 on CL
I also paid $400 at the auction. Another nice thing is that there are a bunch of optional accessories available for it like extension wings, mounts, etc. I like how strong and sturdy this lift is even at max height. A professional grade piece of equipment for sure.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
When I bought my 59 Indian, the guy threw in the lift it was sitting on. As far as I can tell, its one of the jobs from Northern Industrial. So far its been pretty good to me. Would I like one of the more "professional" jobs? Sure, and maybe once I get the shop going. But this one serves me well. The worse thing on it is the coating paint - slippery. So when you're loading/unloading a bike, forget braking if momentum gets you. But beyond that. Hydraulics no problem, lift capacity no problem. I've had a slew of bikes up on it, some heavy touring. I'd recommend it to any home/hobbyist mechanic.

·
Bon Vivant
10,218 Posts
I have both a Handy lift and a Harbor Freight pneumatic HD lift.

The HF lift is not the one you buy in the store this one was a special order from their catalog and was a little over $400.
It has a 6in ram with a capacity of 1200 lbs and is a scissor type configuration like the Handy.
Also like the Handy it has an "L" style clamp at the front to hold the bike tire.

The Handy lift is built heavier and is quite a bit more stable. I also like the clamp quite a bit better on the Handy lift.

But the HF lift operates much more smoothly and will remain at full lift for weeks with no leak-down.

The Handy lift is jerky in operation both up and down and will leak down and completely collapse in about an hour.

I put long-term projects on the Handy but for every day use I like the HF better.

BTW I use one or both of these lifts nearly every day! Now, I couldn't get by without one. If you have the room - Get one!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,210 Posts
I bought a handy lift SAM 1000 a couple years ago, after I got another goldwing I bought the outriggers to make it wider. I only leave them on when working on the wing.

I will say ANY lift is great to work on your bike, it's so nice not to have to squat etc to get to things everything can be at waist height.

It's great lift and I'm really happy with it.
Chris

·
Temporary greeter
23,066 Posts
I have both a Handy lift and a Harbor Freight pneumatic HD lift.

The HF lift is not the one you buy in the store this one was a special order from their catalog and was a little over $400.
It has a 6in ram with a capacity of 1200 lbs and is a scissor type configuration like the Handy.
Also like the Handy it has an "L" style clamp at the front to hold the bike tire.

The Handy lift is built heavier and is quite a bit more stable. I also like the clamp quite a bit better on the Handy lift.

But the HF lift operates much more smoothly and will remain at full lift for weeks with no leak-down.

The Handy lift is jerky in operation both up and down and will leak down and completely collapse in about an hour.

I put long-term projects on the Handy but for every day use I like the HF better.

My Handy does not lose any air. I usually raise it and set the safety and walk away. If I come back the next day it still will not be resting on the safety latch. It is a bit jerky as you say though. No big deal.

That Harbor Freight one looks much nicer than the ones I have seen in the store.

·
Registered
238 Posts
lift

Another with the harbor freight lift. Can't really fault it in general and certainly not for under $300. I had the $299 coupon and they honored a 20%coupon on top of that. For home-shop use i can't imagine needing more. For sure though if i stumbled on a handy lift or similar for $400 i'd do that. It's a little inconvenient to get at the leveling feet but I plan to cut a couple of holes through the deck so i can use a water line wrench (or similar) to get at them more easily.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts