Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a way to take my bike to the track as well as Tahoe (4 hours away). I don't have the room in my garage for a tow behind trailer plus they are $1200-$2000. Would you trust this to transport your Duc?

http://www.discountramps.com/hd-motorcycle-carrier.htm

I have a Class 4 hitch with a 750 lbs tough limit on my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I am sure they designed in a safety factor as well. But it still makes me nervous! I am going to weigh my bike this weekend on a full tank and see where it comes in. I just get very nervous if I hit a bump or pot hole. Dynamic loading can be HUGE :eek:. But I don't know if they factor that in when they say it is designed to carry a 600 lb bike. Thoughts?

·
Registered
868 Posts
That one looks beefy, I don't think you would have a problem... I had a friend who carried his dirtbike on a much smaller one and was fine.. The only thing you need to watch for is going down steeper driveway exits sometime they rub bad and with 400 pounds on your rear end you would drag pretty easy.

·
Eat, sleep, play!
1,166 Posts
That looks like its made of heavy duty steel and the photo shows it hauling a Superhawk so it should tote the Hyper no problem. Just don't get an aluminum carrier. I saw a KTM fall off one those when it broke going down the road. It was a sad sight.

·
Registered
592 Posts
my truck has a 300kg ball weight and can pull 3000kg. I'd not be happy putting 200kg stuck out the back that far. the leverage when it started bouncing would be huge. it must need some kind of strap to the roof of the car to stop it bouncing. I'm sure it works as people use them it just looks Sooooo wrong..

·
Registered
208 Posts
I need a way to take my bike to the track as well as Tahoe (4 hours away). I don't have the room in my garage for a tow behind trailer plus they are $1200-$2000. Would you trust this to transport your Duc?

http://www.discountramps.com/hd-motorcycle-carrier.htm

I have a Class 4 hitch with a 750 lbs tough limit on my Jeep Grand Cherokee. I am sure they designed in a safety factor as well. But it still makes me nervous! I am going to weigh my bike this weekend on a full tank and see where it comes in. I just get very nervous if I hit a bump or pot hole. Dynamic loading can be HUGE :eek:. But I don't know if they factor that in when they say it is designed to carry a 600 lb bike. Thoughts?

I think you should buy something less beefy, and use some cheap tie downs that you can buy from Kragens (4 for like $15) and leave them a little loose so they don't scratch your rims/bars, then take your Wifes Jeep to Pismo with the hyper on back and race up competition hill and launch off the top! Let us know what happens!
Now that is a good idea! ;)

·
Premium Member
811 Posts
From what I see in the picture, you could hook up a tow ball to the rack and tow a trailer too!:eek::eek::eek:That can't be legal.I considered one of these, but went with the Kendon trailer since I think it works better with my vehicle(Jeep Wrangler).

·
Premium Member
12,446 Posts
Hummm....Looks to me like the problem with this set up might be the license plate and tail light visibility... How would you explain that to Officer Tammy? Otherwise seems it would work. Slick Idea and Design, shouldn't be too expensive....

·
Registered
264 Posts
I have the exact same moto tote as Greg S. I've had it for years and used it about 10-15 times. I've towed from the bay area to Santa Barbara. It does take some getting used to and I was nervous the first couple of times but, nowadays, I don't have any problem trusting it. I did do a few upgrades to counteract the rocking and rolling of the bike on the carrier.

You are blocking the license plate while towing but, they do offer a tail light kit. I made my own tail lights with some left over boat trailer tail lights.

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
Zoinks!
$150 for that?
Man, I gotta get a better job.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts