Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dammit! It was my favorite for their Sgt Joe Friday approach.
No ads, just the facts, Ma'am.

Notice - Motorcycle Consumer News

I used to get 7 or 8 motorcycle magazine subscriptions.
Plus a couple freebies. Free2Wheel was one.

The only one left is Cycle World and they went from monthly to quarterly.
Piss moan sigh.
Dammit! The world I growed up in is gone. :cry:

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
WHAT! Oh man, say it ain’t so. Christ, I’m super bummed. The hands down best moto publication there is...was...I had 2 years pre paid on deck. Aaaggghhh!. And today’s my birthday, thanks Monster4Lee ;)

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
8,603 Posts
This is a bummer. I used to be a subscriber for years and years. I guess I'm part of the problem because I gave up my subscription a few years back. While I enjoyed the mag, it didn't tell me anything I couldn't get elsewhere at the time. Not too many outlets left where you can get reviews and info anymore. :( Sorry to hear the news.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
I still remember helping a kid in Daytona one year at a campground. I think it was '92. He had dropped his keys down behind the headstock of his ZX-11. He came to my van hoping to borrow some tools to disassemble his bike. I walked over and looked behind the headstock, saw the top of the radiator and realized the keys had to land on it and slide to the left. The bike was on the sidestand. I just got down and reached in through the vent in the side of the left fairing, and pulled out his keys. The college student was really relieved. I told him it was no big deal, I had worked on several ZX-11s at the dealership, and knew where most of the nuts and bolts went when I dropped them. ;)

He was proud of the fact that his bike had been used in an article in MCN. He said the slip-on he had came from a test MCN ran. They showed that you could just put a slip-on on the bike and increase HP without a pricey jet kit. He said they used a dyno and everything. :rolleyes:

When I asked him if the dyno had a way to pressurize the airbox on the RAMAIR Ninja, his eyes kinda glassed over. I had to explain that the carbureted ZX-11 was jetted a little rich on the topend to take advantage of the Ramair at speed, but that it would show up as a rich condition when the bike was stationary on a dyno. IF the operator used an O2 sensor in the exhaust. He said they didn't do anything but make 2 dyno runs and then wrote it up to send to the magazine.
I never really trusted them after hearing about that article.

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
Sad news. I don’t trust any magazine that relies on factory loaners and advertising to evaluate products. Why are most reviews the same...hmmm...change a few words in the press package and good to go...your next invite is in your inbox.

·
Bon Vivant
10,490 Posts
I enjoy reading reviews and articles and still love the British magazines.

Never have liked American MCN, felt a bit like consumer reports with a leaning for BMW and other touring type rides, they didnt have much love for sporty bikes (at least it wasnt enough for me). Did I trust their reviews? No not really, they had their biases just like the other rags, even if they didnt take advertising dollars. I enjoy reading the reviews from the mainstream mags and like hearing what the authors have to say, I've been around long enough to be able to pan the factory laced speeds and feeds from the nuggets of real impressions. I enjoy reading between the lines.

But part of the enjoyment for me was the professional writing and photography which MCN sorely lacked.

I hate that the capitalist nature of the US is killing off things that are beautiful and well done for things that turn a profit. It is a truth that not everything should be done for money.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I had subscribed to MCN for a while, but dropped it because its values and priorities did not match mine very well. The same reason I don't bother much with Consumer Reports for other things -- they're honest (both MCN and CR) and provide good data, but they put their main emphasis squarely on value-for-money, which isn't always (or even usually) what I'm primarily aiming for. MCN rarely gave a good review to Ducati or most of the other European bikes, because on a strict quality, value-for-money, standpoint, the Japanese bikes do better.

flynbulldog -- It's not "the capitalist nature of the US" that is killing off things that are beautiful and well done for things that turn a profit; it's the customers. Too many people shop mainly for price, and aren't willing to pay for things that are beautiful and well done, and THAT'S why such things are not valued adequately.

PhilB

·
Super Moderator
26,125 Posts
I enjoyed it for several years. I don't buy magazines for the motorcycle tests (although they positively gushed over the Tuono so that makes them OK in my book), but there was always lots of good reading on a variety of topics in that magazine. It was the only magazine I subscribed to for a long time and will miss it.

·
Bon Vivant
10,490 Posts
flynbulldog -- It's not "the capitalist nature of the US" that is killing off things that are beautiful and well done for things that turn a profit; it's the customers. Too many people shop mainly for price, and aren't willing to pay for things that are beautiful and well done, and THAT'S why such things are not valued adequately.

PhilB
Now you see Phil, that's a purely Capitalist attitude - That we should always pay for a good thing. I dont agree. Take the BBC series "Planet Earth", That is a profoundly beautiful work of wonder and goodness that couldn't be made in the US in todays world, No-one would pay for it - Yet the BBC made it happen. For me there will always be things that we should do because its the right thing to do and other things that we should be paid for. (I know, easy to say when you don't have to struggle for your next meal)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Value for your money is in the eye of the beholder. I'm pretty sure we all see value in the beauty and quality of our bikes, among other things. That's part of why we have Ducati and not some less pricey brand. Or in addition to the other brand(s). (y)

Now if you are talking a commodity, a generic thing where the widgets are all the same, then price is all that counts. More or less.

Motorcycles are not a commodity and neither is any magazine I would look at. MCN was quality.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Now you see Phil, that's a purely Capitalist attitude - That we should always pay for a good thing. I dont agree. Take the BBC series "Planet Earth", That is a profoundly beautiful work of wonder and goodness that couldn't be made in the US in todays world, No-one would pay for it - Yet the BBC made it happen.
They made it happen because they used tax money to make it. And it makes up for the rest of the shows they produce over there, some are pretty crappy. :p

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I think you helped make my point...
Well, no. If the supposedly wonderful thing gets paid for by money forced from unwilling people, that's unethical, even if the thing produced is lovely. If you want wonderful things, if you want to not be "killing off things that are beautiful and well done for things that turn a profit", then the only ethical position is to be willing to pay for those things.

Sure, it may be a "profoundly beautiful work of wonder and goodness that ... no-one would pay for ...". it may be a thing that you think is "things that we should do because its the right thing to do and other things that we should be paid for", but if you fund that with stolen money, that's wrong to do to people. That's not even capitalism; that's basic morality.

PhilB

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So, if you think it is beautiful and worthy and whatever,
YOU should pay for it your damn self. That's what I'm getting here.
That and don't steal the money or use tax dollars. Agree. :)

·
Bon Vivant
10,490 Posts
The whole problem here boys is that the motivation of making money doesnt produce beautiful things, and it causes people to do unethical things to get it. walmarts kill off mom and pop stores and chinese laborers who live on 2 bowls of rice a day take over factories that can pay a living wage. No, a system that uses profit as its singular priorety cannot work for anyone except those who reep the profit.

And this is why the Planet Earth series was possible with the BBC and it is not possible in the US

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
I agree with this mostly. Thing is don’t blame Walmart or cheap Chinese labour, blame the people of Walmart. Public money used by the BBC, CBC, PBS , produces some great stuff, private money that makes money gives us reality TV, but also good programs like the Sopranos and Game of Thrones.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
The whole problem here boys is that the motivation of making money doesnt produce beautiful things, and it causes people to do unethical things to get it. walmarts kill off mom and pop stores and chinese laborers who live on 2 bowls of rice a day take over factories that can pay a living wage. No, a system that uses profit as its singular priorety cannot work for anyone except those who reep the profit.

And this is why the Planet Earth series was possible with the BBC and it is not possible in the US
The motivation of making money provides many beautiful things, as well as innovation and prosperity, and a better standard of living. OTOH, the motivation of having the government force people to pay for things they would not pay for voluntarily provides corruption, waste, graft, and violation of human rights. If you want beautiful things, you make them, or you pay someone else a fair wage to make them. You don't steal money from other people to pay for them, not if you're an ethical person.

Money is a measure of how much people value a thing. If the beautiful thing cannot be made economically, if no one would pay for it, then it does not have enough value, and it is morally wrong to force people who would not choose to pay for it to do so. You want the nice things, but don't want to have to pay for them; you want to make other people pay for those things to exist for your benefit -- and then you call the capitalists greedy. Sheesh.

PhilB

1 - 20 of 21 Posts