Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm the happy owner of a GT. Matt paint looks good and personally I like numbers over the tank. The one thing I don't like is the paint job over the side cases and back pizza bocks. It looks cheap when its matt.
Obviously, GT is the same 1260S multi in a fancy dress, but the price was good (if you can tell this about Ducati at all, considering 1250GS is cheaper)

One thing is stuck on my mind, do the 1260s had a factory damper? I remember I drive one 1260s last year and there was a damper (maybe is just in my head) and I do not see a damper on my GT2020 while it definitely needs it.

Regarding the aux lights, they are more like cornering lights. I drive at dark last week and notice that aux lights on/off do not change light on the road but on roadsides only. don't know if it was the same on the original 1260.

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
My 2018 S is set up like a GT, only thing it's missing is the electronic gas cap, which I want no part of. The GT is basically a warehouse clearing special, since this is the last model year of these bikes they need to get rid of some inventory. Doesn't mean it's a bad bike at all, I really like the color scheme and the price is attractive vs. buying all those parts separately and having them installed. I also noticed the aux lights are of a newer design than mine.
I LOVE the E-gas cap (I see it as a big convenience, as farkles go it's one of the more functional ones)... installed it in 2016 or thereabouts and have not had any issues with it... but yea I still worry that someday it's going to decide to quit while I'm sitting at a gas station and I'll need to disassemble the fairings to get it open. (I do keep all the needed tools on the bike just in case). On my bike the cap unlocks for 30 seconds or so anytime the ignition is turned off (doesn't care what method was used).

I also like the Aux lights... they light the sides of the road so I have better chance of seeing suicidal deer before they're directly in front of me. They're not designed to change the driving light profile but they fill in nicely. I bought the touring pack (along with urban and enduro) when I bought my 15s... I've gotten good utility out of all the packs IMO (though they ARE expensive).

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
The worst is leaving it the passenger seat release. Then, gravity is working against you. Not that I’ve done that... more than 3 times. I don’t know how in the world I didn’t lose the key.
I've only done it twice... but luckily they designed that barrel to be crazy tight... it would take some serious bumps to get it to fall out on my bike.

·
Premium Member
3,809 Posts
Braggart. 🤣
the more important question is "how long did it take you to notice". One time I only noticed because the connection to the dash was not 100% and it popped up a "no key" message after a while. The other time I remembered it pretty quickly and pulled over to grab it (feeling like an idiot).

Reactions: DucmanST3

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm the happy owner of a GT. Matt paint looks good and personally I like numbers over the tank. The one thing I don't like is the paint job over the side cases and back pizza bocks. It looks cheap when its matt.
Obviously, GT is the same 1260S multi in a fancy dress, but the price was good (if you can tell this about Ducati at all, considering 1250GS is cheaper)

One thing is stuck on my mind, do the 1260s had a factory damper? I remember I drive one 1260s last year and there was a damper (maybe is just in my head) and I do not see a damper on my GT2020 while it definitely needs it.

Regarding the aux lights, they are more like cornering lights. I drive at dark last week and notice that aux lights on/off do not change light on the road but on roadsides only. don't know if it was the same on the original 1260.
The 1260S doesn’t have a steering damper. I am no Dovi’, but have seen an indicated 125 (w/panniers on) and didn’t even get a hint that it might need a damper. The GT does have a larger windscreen, so that could make a radical change.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Yep and the keyless ignition is a great way to get stranded aswell.
You lose the key, start bike with pin number, ride until you run out of fuel then walk home because you dont have a key for the fuel cap.
Note to self hide the red key on the bike somewhere, you cant start the bike with it and you cant fill the tank without it.
Flawed technology for flawed technology sake.
I would sooner have a non locking fuel cap anyday.

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Tapatalk
I'm a Multi noob, but my red key will start my 2017S.

·
Registered
116 Posts
On the Australian delivered '17 1200s which I have, the red key is only for the tank, seat, panniers and topbox. There is no ignition barrel, I am not sure what other countries have. The only other option is to start with a pin number through the dash after pressing the button under the cover at the front of the tank.
I hope this helps.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
On the Australian delivered '17 1200s which I have, the red key is only for the tank, seat, panniers and topbox. There is no ignition barrel, I am not sure what other countries have. The only other option is to start with a pin number through the dash after pressing the button under the cover at the front of the tank.
I hope this helps.

I bet you a cup of coffee your red key will start it.

·
Registered
7,313 Posts
A locked gas tank is just weird an electronic one is bizarre.
kiss, keep it simple stupid, works for me, having said that, I love keyless ignitions, having left the key in the seat lock only once.

·
Sophomore Member
2,783 Posts
I hope this helps.

Hold the red key next to the antenna and press the start button. The red key is passive and needs to be right by the antenna as opposed to the regular key that is active and transmits for ~6 ft or so.

·
Registered
116 Posts
You are correct mine worked there as well.

I owe you a coffee, if ever you are on the mid north coast NSW Australia I will buy you one.

Now you appear to be a very smart person so I have some unanswered questions I need answered !

Was the moon landing faked ?

Who shot JFK ?

Why is Ducati Skyhook Suspension not as good as we all expected it to be?

And a far less controversial question.........

Why is Australia the best place to live on the planet?

·
Registered
116 Posts
NASA did in fact hire Stanley Kubrick to film a faked moon landing. However, Kubrick was such a perfectionist, he was only able to achieve the results he wanted by building a soundstage on the moon and shooting there.
Bloody Kubrick I always thought he was a bit over the top.
Note to self:
Discard all of Stanley Kubrick's work and all moon rocks. None of it's real.
Or is it ?
I'm confused now.

·
Smut peddler
1,002 Posts
I get your point, but why would you lose the key?
I don't think anyone has ever planned on losing their keys. The answer to your question would be why does it take me 15 minutes every morning to find my wallet? :ROFLMAO:

Electronic gas cap is solutionism at its finest. Being cereal, all my bikes require the key to open them. Adding a solonoid to it makes no sense to me. But I'm an analog guy living in a digital world.

·
Registered
279 Posts
All the electronic cap needs to be basically perfect is a manual means of opening that doesn't require dissembling the front half of the bike. Something like a hidden hex key port, not sure how they'd do it. I like it in theory, just not as much as I dislike the idea of being stranded because my gas cap quit working.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I don't think anyone has ever planned on losing their keys. The answer to your question would be why does it take me 15 minutes every morning to find my wallet? :ROFLMAO:

Electronic gas cap is solutionism at its finest. Being cereal, all my bikes require the key to open them. Adding a solonoid to it makes no sense to me. But I'm an analog guy living in a digital world.
My point was you're less likely to lose it if you never need to take it out of your pocket...

21 - 40 of 41 Posts