Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
My 2018 S is set up like a GT, only thing it's missing is the electronic gas cap, which I want no part of. The GT is basically a warehouse clearing special, since this is the last model year of these bikes they need to get rid of some inventory. Doesn't mean it's a bad bike at all, I really like the color scheme and the price is attractive vs. buying all those parts separately and having them installed. I also noticed the aux lights are of a newer design than mine.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I really don't like the large 1260 splashed across the tank in big letters. I wonder if those are above or below the clear coat. If I had a Grand Tour the first thing I would do is remove those numbers if I could. They remind me of the BMW GS Exclusive. I also think the key less gas cap is just another way to get stranded.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I really don't like the large 1260 splashed across the tank in big letters. I wonder if those are above or below the clear coat. If I had a Grand Tour the first thing I would do is remove those numbers if I could. They remind me of the BMW GS Exclusive. I also think the key less gas cap is just another way to get stranded.
Yep and the keyless ignition is a great way to get stranded aswell.
You lose the key, start bike with pin number, ride until you run out of fuel then walk home because you dont have a key for the fuel cap.
Note to self hide the red key on the bike somewhere, you cant start the bike with it and you cant fill the tank without it.
Flawed technology for flawed technology sake.
I would sooner have a non locking fuel cap anyday.

Sent from my SM-P585Y using Tapatalk

·
Registered
280 Posts
Or your could buy a cheap, non-electronic Ducati key blank, have a locksmith cut it to match your key, and store it somewhere accessible but out of the way on the bike, like zip-tied to a center stand mount or something. It's there if you need it to fuel the bike, forgotten otherwise and since it won't start the bike, no good to anyone but you.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Yep and the keyless ignition is a great way to get stranded aswell.
You lose the key, start bike with pin number, ride until you run out of fuel then walk home because you dont have a key for the fuel cap.
I get your point, but why would you lose the key? It's keyless ignition so the only reason to take your key out of your pocket (or wherever you keep it) is to refuel, remove the seat or open the paniers.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Well, maybe because you open a side case, close it up again and forget to take the key out. Then at the top of Pikes Peak, you accidentally karate kick the key that's still in the pannier and break the key off. Unfortunately, it's late in the day and you don't have vise grips to retrieve the key and you hope hardware stores are still open when you get down off the mountain. True story.

Or you open the rear top case, close it up again and leave the key in there since you don't really think about it since you don't need it to start the bike. You take off and the key falls out somewhere on the road. All true except for I was able to retrieve it before it fell out.

Essentially what I'm saying is that it's easy to forget about the key when you don't put it in an ignition. I see people start the bikes with the keys on the seat after securing panniers. There are lots of ways to lose it when it's not top of mind.

·
Registered
159 Posts
open a side case, close it up again and forget to take the key out.
Done that. I keep the ignition key in the forearm pocket of by Aerostich. Now I'm thinking about keeping the ignition key in my pants pocket, and keeping the red key in the forearm pocket.
My suit goes in the right pannier, helmet in the left. I always get my suit out first. Open the right pannier, pull out the suit, and immediately lock and remove the ignition key.

The left pannier is where I get in trouble, because I won't put the helmet down so it doesn't fall off the bike. I pull it out and put it on. If I put the ignition key in my pocket after getting the suit out, I can use the red key from my suit to open the left pannier and get the helmet. If I forget to get the key out, the worst that can happen is I lose the red key.
I see people start the bikes with the keys on the seat after securing panniers.
That's one thing about the design that drives me nuts, is how cannot remove the key while the pannier's open. So you cannot keep the key in your hand. For high value/high risk items, I take it out of my pocket or whatever, use it, and put it right back. It's either in my hand or in my pocket.

I get why, if you forget to lock the pannier, then the pannier release can vibrate loose and the whole bag comes off the bike. But that's poor design as well. Some bags have two cylinders, one to unlock the pannier, and one to release the pannier from the bike. Or you turn the one way to unlock the lid, the other way to unlock the release. But whatever.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Well, maybe because you open a side case, close it up again and forget to take the key out. Then at the top of Pikes Peak, you accidentally karate kick the key that's still in the pannier and break the key off. Unfortunately, it's late in the day and you don't have vise grips to retrieve the key and you hope hardware stores are still open when you get down off the mountain. True story.

Or you open the rear top case, close it up again and leave the key in there since you don't really think about it since you don't need it to start the bike. You take off and the key falls out somewhere on the road. All true except for I was able to retrieve it before it fell out.

Essentially what I'm saying is that it's easy to forget about the key when you don't put it in an ignition. I see people start the bikes with the keys on the seat after securing panniers. There are lots of ways to lose it when it's not top of mind.
I rest my case.

After I take the key out of the case of course.

Dumb shit happens !
I always take a spare key on big trips.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Sophomore Member
2,799 Posts
The worst is leaving it the passenger seat release. Then, gravity is working against you. Not that I’ve done that... more than 3 times. I don’t know how in the world I didn’t lose the key.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I bought a 2019...I definitely did not want an electronic gas cap, and I was a bit concerned about how the matt grey finish would hold up long term with all the decals etc. I understand the need to carry a second key but my bike, bought new, only came with one...I am guessing a spare would be very expensive

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Sophomore Member
2,799 Posts
You should get in touch with the selling dealership. It should have come with a second key that is passive only. The handle is red. Are you sure you didn’t put it away with the paperwork?

·
Registered
152 Posts

THANK YOU for voicing my thoughts...... I'd go one step further: Why do bikes need a keyless system? It's a complete non-sense to me and I could certainly live better without it, it's made only for you to lose your key.

Let's think of those not-so-old times when to start our motorcycles we needed to insert the key in the ignition, turn it 90º clockwise and push the handle bar button. What was wrong with that? What problems did the keyless system solve? Were you able to drive-off with the key in the side pannier, top-case or seat latch? Did you ever not have the key to open the gas cap at the station? All the described problems/situations in this post didn't exist at that time.

The new Panigales need the key to start. Maybe Ducati is thinking of reverting back to good old "keyin" system....

PS: I think the exact same way with car keys.

·
Registered
280 Posts
It's a gimmick, but as gimmicks go it's not the worst one by a long shot. Biggest problem I have with it is that the rest of my bikes don't have it, which always messes me up at the gas pump. I think the ideal config would be a hybrid of a normal key system, with the Ducati security code. That way you need the key physically plugged in to the bike to start it normally, avoiding the passenger seat release issue that seems pretty common, but keeping the ability to start the bike without a key if needed. Or, they could improve the technology to the point that it can locate the key to within 6" or so, and warn you if it's in a dangerous location before you ride off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My key stays in my Klim jacket sleeve pocket. Only take out to open and close panniers. Doesn't the tank lock open when the bike turns off. So, if you have the code too start the bike, Start the bike or just turn it on won't the cap Unlock and not leave you stranded at the gas pump on a trip. My Two Cents. Nothing to panic over. The code is your fail safe in case you lose your key.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Doesn't the tank lock open when the bike turns off.
That's only standard on certain models, though it's an option on many. And that particular feature is part of the genesis of this conversation. The code will not unlock my gas cap on my bike, nor will turning the bike on and off.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts