Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking for some one to do some motor work on my bike as it has a race season on it and needs to be freshend up. any one know a good place to get motor work done in the mid atlantic area.im in maryland.thanks for any in put.
i guess what im asking is who does the best work around here.
just painted it this weekend and it's allmost new again.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
jrockcolors said:
i'm looking for some one to do some motor work on my bike as it has a race season on it and needs to be freshend up. any one know a good place to get motor work done in the mid atlantic area.im in maryland.thanks for any in put.
i guess what im asking is who does the best work around here.
just painted it this weekend and it's allmost new again.
Ducpond in Winchester VA; Donnie has raced and built 749r bikes for racing. My wrench also has an 04 749r and only charges 60.00 an hour. I am pretty sure he tracked his Duc too. His shop is in Richmond VA www.richmondsuperbike.com, I would not hesitate recommending either shop.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
I think if I was anywhere on the east coast, I would most definately not rule out the Duc Shop in Atlanta...even if you ship the motor down there!!

·
Registered
680 Posts
trussdude said:
I'm in Arizona and I send my bike to Duc Shop.
Thanks Pat, ironiclly your old 749R that you sold to G.R. was sold to a WERA guy in Virginia and is back here getting freshened up for next season.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Ducshop said:
Thanks Pat, ironiclly your old 749R that you sold to G.R. was sold to a WERA guy in Virginia and is back here getting freshened up for next season.
What does freshing up a 749R motor consists of?

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks alot for the input. ive heard great things about ducpond and im not apposed to shipping . how ever it would be nice having someone kind of local.
but i would rather go with who builds a good motor.i even thought about sending it back home to have the same guy who built it before freshing it up.

again thanks for the input.

·
Registered
680 Posts
MV_999R said:
What does freshing up a 749R motor consists of?
Depends on the milage, in this case after a season or two is to inspect all engine internals starting with new rod bearings, new rings, re-NSK the cylinders if worn, valve job, new belts, air filters ect...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ducshop said:
Depends on the milage, in this case after a season or two is to inspect all engine internals starting with new rod bearings, new rings, re-NSK the cylinders if worn, valve job, new belts, air filters ect...

Thats just what i need done. i have the corse race kit in mine do you think i need to do any thing else or just clean it up with some new bearing's,belts ect. , and take a look around.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ya that would be sweet but i think that may limit some of the classes i could run .i may need to look into that.and im not sure but with the 848 i may have a time bomb on my hands , i like to stay away from that. i hate bikes blowing up at the track . and i cant use my pit bike as my B bike.you guys would kill me on the straits and isn't racing all about how fast you go on the strait rite

·
Registered
680 Posts
"Thats just what i need done. i have the corse race kit in mine do you think i need to do any thing else or just clean it up with some new bearing's,belts ect. , and take a look around."

That usually does it, might as well go thru the Blueprint proccess while being re-assembled, i.e. balance crank, Corse clearances on rod bearings, set squish, cam timing ect..

jrockcolors said:
Ya that would be sweet but i think that may limit some of the classes i could run .i may need to look into that.and im not sure but with the 848 i may have a time bomb on my hands , i like to stay away from that. i hate bikes blowing up at the track . and i cant use my pit bike as my B bike.you guys would kill me on the straits and isn't racing all about how fast you go on the strait rite
High RPM and too much compression shortens thier life. The 848 kit is the same bore as a 999 (same cylinders) so would not effect reliability, if anything may extend it since you would not be at the rev limiter all the time trying to sqeeze power out of it. The displacement gain adds power from idle on up. The kit ECU is what shortens the engine life by extending the rev limiter, so short shifting as much as possable will help.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Ducshop said:
Thanks for the info. :)

Well, mine HAD to be "freshened" recently due to the infamous rod bearing issue on these bikes :mad:

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
just a quick question. Say I ship my motor down to you DucShop, you do the refresh, send it back and I reinstall it. Then, something happens to the motor. I don't know, it just dies or something (never done this before so please bear with me). So it's broke, a part lets go inside. Would I have to pay again to ship it/fix it? How does that work? Is there some sort of warrante?

·
Registered
680 Posts
level7 said:
just a quick question. Say I ship my motor down to you DucShop, you do the refresh, send it back and I reinstall it. Then, something happens to the motor. I don't know, it just dies or something (never done this before so please bear with me). So it's broke, a part lets go inside. Would I have to pay again to ship it/fix it? How does that work? Is there some sort of warrante?
Of couse we stand behind our work, if something failed due to our work then would cover it. Hard for us to guarantee each part but we inspect them as closes as we can and replace out of spec parts per customer approval. We can usually tell if a failure is from abuse, part failure or assembly mistake. We work with anyone who is reasonable.
Our motors have won WERA endurance races and the Moto St Championship (8 hour final).

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
Ducshop said:
Of couse we stand behind our work, if something failed due to our work then would cover it. Hard for us to guarantee each part but we inspect them as closes as we can and replace out of spec parts per customer approval. We can usually tell if a failure is from abuse, part failure or assembly mistake. We work with anyone who is reasonable.
Our motors have won WERA endurance races and the Moto St Championship (8 hour final).
Thanks! That's good to know.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Ducshop built my 749S/924, now with over 2000+ track miles last season....still runs like a scalded ape!!! :D Thanks Mark

·
Registered
54 Posts
jrockcolors said:
Thanks alot for the input. ive heard great things about ducpond and im not apposed to shipping . how ever it would be nice having someone kind of local.
but i would rather go with who builds a good motor.i even thought about sending it back home to have the same guy who built it before freshing it up.

again thanks for the input.

That happens to be my 749R down there that Mark is working on. I'm out of Richmond, VA and it's nothing against the other guys that are a lot closer to me, but when it comes to doing this kind of work on my Duc, there's only one place that touches it. If you want send me a PM, I'll be going down there once the bike is done and can assist you in getting it delivered to help out another racer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts