Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Motor of Death II

6K views 53 replies 16 participants last post by  Decreasing Dave 
#1 · (Edited)
Well I did my dyno run today, the new motor has about 400mi.

My Motor of Death I, which was SUPER FAST! :p IMHO, made 102.03 HP & 76.21 TQ, but the motor died, (crank bearings failed) the NEW & improved MOD II is now making 106.57 & 78.91 TQ (HP up 4.54 & TQ up 2.7!) :D same dyno, same operator, same gearing

The difference between the motors is in the bottom end, the MOD II has a lightened crank, with Carillo rods, the crankshaft assembly was balanced with the big-bore pistons, and I installed ceramic crank bearings, I would have bet that the HP & TQ gain would have been little to none, but I was WRONG! with the lighter crank weight & friction free ceramic bearings, she ponied up! even with heavier oil!:eek:

But there was a slight side effect, even though she runs like a bat out of Hell, I lost some top-end, the HP peak is now 200rpm lower, I guess the lighter rotating force of the crank takes out some of the over rev, so the power peak is lower. So I may have to "raise" the gearing by dropping a tooth or two on the rear, hows that for having more power? :D Aloha Alex

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
very impressive! Does your top speed changes now with all of that power? About how much did you spent?
YES & NO, if your bike was stock and you could hit redline in 5th, and I was in 5th at redline, you would be faster, as you have about 200 more rpm on top, more rpm, more top speed, its just that I would get there much quicker, now since the stock Hyper can't hit redline in 6th (at least mine couldn't) and my MOD II can, I would pull more rpms on top & will have a higher top speed.

We did "play" a little while on the dyno, we wanted to see how fast she would go on the dyno, WFO in 6th gear!:eek: the actual ground speed (stock gearing) hit 140MPH before slamming into the rev limiter, speedo was indicating 150MPH.

I had a lot of fun on the dyno yesterday! :) Aloha Alex

PS: toooo much $$:cool:

#9 · (Edited)
Alex, I disagree with your assesment of your "lack of top speed".

Just because your powerband signs off 200 RPM lower than before, doesn't mean that the bike just shuts down. On the contrary, your bike still probably pulls harder than mine at those RPMs. So why would yours be slower???

Dave

#16 ·
Alex, I disagree with your assesment of your "lack of top speed".

Just because your powerband signs off 200 RPM lower than before, doesn't mean that the bike just shuts down. On the contrary, your bike still probably pulls harder than mine at those RPMs. So why would yours be slower???

Dave
HP & RPM are totally different, providing you have enough HP to pull the RPMs to a given point.

Lets say I make 200HP & you make 100HP, and we have the same gearing & tire size, if I hit peak power at 7800 rpms, and you hit peak power at 8000 rpms, your motor will be "spinning" 200 rpm more than mine, and so you will have a faster top speed, but my bike will "get" there much faster than yours, so no matter how much power I make, if I can only get 7800 rpms, that will determine my top-speed. If you can pull more rpm than the 7800, with everything being the same, even with lower HP, you will have a faster top speed.

But I can change all that, because of the "extra" power from my bike I can change and "pull" a taller gearing, and increase my top-speed that would kill a lower HP bike. Its good to be the King, :D Aloha Alex

#10 ·
What would you do with all the power in a real superbike? That would be fun to watch....the answer is NO!

I'm so glad the Wrightwood tunnels remain closed :eek:

#15 ·
Alex, I would bet that you can break 110bhp with a properly tuned Nemesis EC U. Might as well get that too. It would be a crying shame to limit your fire breathing engine with the DP ECU.

#19 ·
Alex, I would bet that you can break 110bhp with a properly tuned Nemesis EC U. Might as well get that too. It would be a crying shame to limit your fire breathing engine with the DP ECU.
Yep, I think 110HP IS doable, as I'm still running a DP ECU and stock air box.

If I need even more power, :rolleyes: I will be getting some V stacks, and dyno mapping the front & rear cylinders, with the PC or other device, should be good for another 5 to 6 HP, but for now I need a break, and just "run" her as is. And besides I still NEED to dial in my front forks. :cool: But if only "I" could drop about 40lbs, I wouldn't HAVE to do anything else. Maybe I should move in with "Bromike" for about a month, :eek: :DAloha Alex

#21 ·
Because just getting a "Superbike" is too easy, and they are not as much FUN!!

In reality, I did not know the Hyper was so underpowered, until I hit the track, for everything else the stock bike is fine, ;) IMHO, Aloha Alex

#29 ·
Update, its all GOOD! :D rode the crap out of her Sat & Sun, did not use a drop of oil, she's FAST, FUN, & SMOOTH, really SMOOTH, (vibration) for me its a all around better bike, snappier & quick, but still very controllable, but this is canyon riding, I'll know for sure when I hit the track on May 3rd.

Power is a funny thing, even though she now makes 106.57 HP, its amazing how fast you get used to it, now it feels normal, and sometimes I feel like I need more......:cool: Aloha Alex :D

#31 ·
Only two people know what the cost of Mod I plus Mod II is in total... Alex and Todd V1.0. And I'm not telling because Alex will call me a hater when really I'm just a mathmatician:D

:abduct:

#37 ·
Did your insurance cover your Mod I explosion???????????????

Who's REALLY the hater dude!?!?!?!?!?!?!?

#51 ·
Now that's saying something.....

I'll know in the next few days if I'll have to build the MOD 2.1. I finally have the new cover and I'll be checking to see where my crank wobble is initiating. Hopefully, it's just the washer and I can fix it and be done.....hopefully.

Although, Alex's MOD2 seems to be pretty badazz, but it's the money thing that will hurt.

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.