Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The SFS graces the cover of the June issue with the front tire saluting the sky. Mostly they compare the SFS to the 1098. It's a short review but here are a few quotes:

" . . . the Streetfighter is better tha any "authentic" 1098 streetfighter could ever be--and likely the best naked bike to hit the market yet."

"With essentially the same performance as the 1098 in a much more accessible and user friendly package, there's no reason to choose the Superbike unless you're a track fiend."

"It's worth manipulating the traction control, since wheelspin--and wheelies--are a near constant with the powerful Streetfighter. Initial throttle inputs can be abrupt, not due to tuning hiccups, but because the torque hits so hard even at very low revs that the bike lurches forward."

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
643 Posts
Just got this issue in the mail. Excellent write-up on the SF. This thing with a few mods will be brilliant. You guys who are about to get one in a week are lucky. Looking forward to the impressions! :D

The SFS graces the cover of the June issue with the front tire saluting the sky. Mostly they compare the SFS to the 1098. It's a short review but here are a few quotes:

" . . . the Streetfighter is better tha any "authentic" 1098 streetfighter could ever be--and likely the best naked bike to hit the market yet."

"With essentially the same performance as the 1098 in a much more accessible and user friendly package, there's no reason to choose the Superbike unless you're a track fiend."

"It's worth manipulating the traction control, since wheelspin--and wheelies--are a near constant with the powerful Streetfighter. Initial throttle inputs can be abrupt, not due to tuning hiccups, but because the torque hits so hard even at very low revs that the bike lurches forward."

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Bon Vivant
11,021 Posts
The motorcyclist review is the most positive one I've read to date. They seemed to really like the bike and said it could be the best naked bike ever.

However there were some comments that were not as a great: They thought the steering was heavy and the bike was sluggish in slow turns. They also didn't like the non adjustable damper.

As has been noted by some of our Euro owners here, they also noticed a tendency to run wide on corner exits under throttle.

As could be expected the increased rake and longer rear suspension give increased stability at the expense of nimbleness.

They also didn't like the small hard to read gauge mounted so low and far away, that's one of my nits at the bike too.

Even though they mentioned these negatives and some others, the author did a good job at positioning them in a way that really made them seem unimportant.

I think the article was balanced and overall positive with an exciting tone but it takes reading it a few times to really soak in all that they present.

I'm still excited to get mine!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The review that counts the most will be mine. I'm just dying to test out those brakes and feel the power and agility of this beast. Nothing will ever be perfect, but I'm confident that this bike will live up to my expectations.

·
Bon Vivant
11,021 Posts
Tally do you currently own or have you ever owned a ducati before?

Have you ever ridden a 1098?

If you already know Ducatis I think you will be pleased with this bike. If you've ever ridden a 1098 you know the potential.

If you've never owned a duc and only know I-4's you may take a while to come to terms with the SF, and you may even never come to terms with it... Ducatis are not for everyone.

Despite the "Twin mythology" Ducatis have no more torque than a comparable I-4: its just delivered differently and at a different RPM. It's sometimes hard to go from one style to the other.

My 1098 is my everyday bike right now and even though I know a gixxer or R1 is faster and quicker than my 1098 it doesn't diminish the rush I get every time I ride it. It's an absolute BEAST! a freakin insane bike that does everything so well I'm blown away every time I take it out.

For me, If the SF is anything like My 1098 it will be incredible!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Tally do you currently own or have you ever owned a ducati before?

Have you ever ridden a 1098?

If you already know Ducatis I think you will be pleased with this bike. If you've ever ridden a 1098 you know the potential.

If you've never owned a duc and only know I-4's you may take a while to come to terms with the SF, and you may even never come to terms with it... Ducatis are not for everyone.

Despite the "Twin mythology" Ducatis have no more torque than a comparable I-4: its just delivered differently and at a different RPM. It's sometimes hard to go from one style to the other.

Well said Flyn!
I spent 16years riding jap 4s and am now on my second Ducati with the streetfighter.There is something different about riding a ducati and there will definately be a transition period where you will have to almost change your riding style,you simply cannot ride a big twin in the same way as a inline 4 -it does take a bit of getting used to but boy is it worth it!!!
Would i ever go back to a inline 4........NO! The power of a twin is easily accesible and is always there - no need to scream the engine.
I think this i possibly why some of the press reviews have been less than flattering - the testers are simply not used to big twin engines and do not get the whole Ducati thing!All the ducati's i have ridden do have the Ducati 'feel' and its either something you love or hate.
I cannot believe that anyone who has ordered a streetfighter will be disappointed with it,most of you know what a 1098 engine is like! and the handling is excellent also.The main problem is the amount of attention you get - it can be a embarrasing at times,but i think we can live with that!
I can't wait for you guys to get your bikes to hear your thoughts aswell!!!!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My very first bike, back in '67, was a 160CC Ducati Monza Jr., had about 13 HP with a top speed of about 70mph. Loved that bike.

I test rode a new 1100 Monster a few weeks ago and didn't find anything unusual about the big twin engine, it just didn't have enough power.

My current ride a ZRX 1200 is very unlike all other I-4s as it had loads of torque from 3500 rpms right up to redline, very linear power.

Just sold an SV650 a few months ago and was very surprised that the power didn't really come on until 7,000rpms.

I don't think the characteristics of the SF V-Twin engine will require as much acclimation time as the brakes will. The brakes on my ZRX are very good (SS lines and EBC HH pads), but from what I read about the Brembos on the SF, it'll be a whole new ballgame. I loved the weight and handling of the Monster and I think the feel of the SF will be similar in that regard.

·
Registered
3,848 Posts
Have you guys noticed that on the tech spec chart on page 51 they state the warranty as 48 months?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Here are a couple of charts from Motorcycle USA's current superbike shootout dynos. These are wheel horsepower figures (power measured at the wheels as opposed to the crank - there is always driveline loss).

First is horsepower. You can see that the 1198 starts making higher horsepower numbers earlier and has a lower overall redline. The twin makes more power down low but doesn't have the peakiness of the inline-four bikes. The higher redlines (and freer reving nature of the inline-four) permits the competitors to climb a bit higher in the RPMs to grab a few more horsepower:

Next is torque. This is what flynbulldog described above and is glaringly obvious in this graph. The 1198 is making nearly 10 lbs-ft more peak torque and does it at a lower RPM and it trails off above 10K which is nearly where peak horsepower happens which is why the Ducati feels so damn strong all over:

What all this translates into is a bike that pulls harder at lower RPM's and doesn't have the peakiness of the inline-four bikes. If you're used to screaming to dizzy redlines on an inline-4 the Ducati will be a different kind of experience, but one that you can acclimate to fairly quickly and learn to appreciate in its own way. Some people prefer the frenetic and aural sounds of screaming to peak redlines in the inline-four and never warm up to the sound and characteristics of the Ducati engines. Nothing wrong with that, just different strokes for different folks. :)

For me the question isn't the engine as I love the Ducati sound and feel. It is more a matter of whether I can warm up to the more upright riding position with that kind of power. I can't wait to ride one.

- jamie

·
Bon Vivant
11,021 Posts
Thanks for posting those motomotive.

I'm actually blown away by those charts. Not only does the Ducati have more torque over-all, it has more torque everywhere up to 9500 rpm. From anecdotal reviews I've read I thought the other liter bikes had similar peak number to the Ducati, just much farther up the RPM range. But That was obviously wrong. :D

One thing you can't take away from the I-4 is that visceral feel of a high strung formula race car motor or a Ferrari v-12. If that is your passion the I-4 delivers in spades.

But An experience with a friend of mine and his first Ducati tells me that the transition can be tough...
He went from a BMW K1200S to an S4RS monster and he had the hardest time making the bike work for him, he was just so used to the characteristics of the I-4 in the Beemer. But his initial reaction was not unlike yours to the M1100 Tally, he thought the S4RS was slow. It's not - he just didn't know how to operate it to make the bike run. This is a guy with 30 years of motorcycle experience, he knows how to ride so believe me if it can happen to him it can happen to anyone.

·
Bon Vivant
11,021 Posts
That reminds me of the opposition from two of the reviewers from Ascari
MCN thought the SF was slow from down low and didn't have the punch they expected.

But Motorcyclist in this months review was blown away by the hard hit of the torque down low...

Hmmm maybe the MCN guys are used to the I-4 bikes and forgot how to twist the throttle out of a turn?

·
IHMC Est. 2010
2,017 Posts
My timeline perfect preparation for the SF

11 - -13 --- -18-20 -22--24------------31--33-----------37 ------41
I-----------XL70------keeping for my daughter------------------------------>
..............I--TM125--I...........
......................I--I............ '78 XS650 Special
......................I--------'77 Husky 250CR--restoring------------------------->
.............................I----'82 Kaw KX420---I
.............................I--I......... '84 Ninja 900
.................................I-----I.........'89 ZX7
..........................................................I------I '95 300EXC KTM
....................................................................I------I '00 520 EXC
....................................................................................I -Buell XB12-I
..........................................................................................................^
..........................................................................................................SF

So I had I4's years ago then went back to the dirt, two stroke, then thumper then back to the road with a twin. Now comes the supertwin.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Thanks for posting those motomotive.

I'm actually blown away by those charts. Not only does the Ducati have more torque over-all, it has more torque everywhere up to 9500 rpm. From anecdotal reviews I've read I thought the other liter bikes had similar peak number to the Ducati, just much farther up the RPM range. But That was obviously wrong. :D

One thing you can't take away from the I-4 is that visceral feel of a high strung formula race car motor or a Ferrari v-12. If that is your passion the I-4 delivers in spades.

But An experience with a friend of mine and his first Ducati tells me that the transition can be tough...
He went from a BMW K1200S to an S4RS monster and he had the hardest time making the bike work for him, he was just so used to the characteristics of the I-4 in the Beemer. But his initial reaction was not unlike yours to the M1100 Tally, he thought the S4RS was slow. It's not - he just didn't know how to operate it to make the bike run. This is a guy with 30 years of motorcycle experience, he knows how to ride so believe me if it can happen to him it can happen to anyone.
Don't forget the 1198 is 20% larger in capacity, if the inline bores were 1200's they'd produce at least the same torque if not more (despite the capacity increase, the 1198 doens't produce 20% more peak torque than the multis). In addition the multis run shorter gearing which mean that thrust charts which are the best things to use to get an idea of performance will likely favor the japanese bikes.

Still prefer the duke though :)

·
Bon Vivant
11,021 Posts
The problem with the large displacement I-4's that have been built is that they are mammoth! The busa, ZX14, K12-now-13... They all have great power numbers but fail miserably when it comes to maneuverability and nimbleness.

They are just big over-powered behemoths. I guess that's why the 1098/1198 fits into the liter bike classification so well.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Remember, the Monster 11 I rode was brand new and I had to follow the salesman and never got over 6 grand, but hard throttle from 3 to 6 grand was not as strong as my REX. The Monster puts out 95 HP and the SF has 50% more HP, so I expect it wll be at least as strong as my ZRX down low. I'll be real dissapointed if it doesn't. The SF is also 100lbs lighter than my REX. The numbers can be misleading the true test is "seat of the pants".

BTW- I think the 1098/1198 is about the most gorgeous bike I've ever seen, but I can't live with that riding position or I woulda bought one.

·
Bon Vivant
11,021 Posts
Tally I've owned two ZRX's and I don't think you are going to be blown away by the torque of the 1098...

I can't predict if you will like the duc or not but the bikes are very very different...

·
Registered
900 Posts
Does anyone know what type of Dampner is on this bad boy and where it is mounted? I would think Ohlins will have one for it.

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yes, you can get an adjustable damper

Bulldog,

I don't expect the torque to be much greater, I just don't expect it to be less than what I already have.

Your 1098 is magnifico :yeah:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts