Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Capirossi wins opener

Italian Loris Capirossi has won the MotoGP season-opening race in Spain, while defending world champion Valentino Rossi crashed on the first corner.

Capirossi rode a superb race to win in 45 minutes 57.733 seconds, from local hope Daniel Pedrosa (46:02.108), who became the first debutante to finish on the podium in eight years, and American Nicky Hayden (46:07.729).

Australian Casey Stoner finished sixth in his debut MotoGP race for Honda.

Rossi had a nightmare start, sliding off the track on the first bend after he was clipped by Spaniard Toni Elias, but he got back on his back and managed to finish 14th.

"Elias took off as if it was the last race of the season and not the first," Rossi told AFP.

"I had a great start and I could have gone faster, then I felt a bump and fell. It happens. Toni made a mistake and I hope it's the last time."

"Today I could have made the podium. I started well and I got into a good rhythm straight away."

It is the first time in six years that Rossi has not won the season-opening race.

Elias went on to finish fourth, while Marco Melandri was fifth. Sete Gibernau was denied a challenge for the podium by his Ducati's engine, which broke down on the third lap while he was in second position.

Spanish MotoGP results:
1. Loris Capirossi (Italy) Ducati 45:57.733
2. Daniel Pedrosa (Spain) Honda 46:02.108
3. Nicky Hayden (USA) Honda 46:07.729
4. Toni Elias (Spain) Honda 46:07.868
5. Marco Melandri (Italy) Honda 46:17.280
6. Casey Stoner (Australia) Honda 46:18.970
7. Shinya Nakano (Japan) Kawasaki 46:19.105
8. Kenny Roberts Jr. (USA) KR211V 46:30.147
9. John Hopkins (USA) Suzuki 46:30.392
10. Makoto Tamada (Japan) Honda 46:33.716

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
it was as shocking of a season opener as the Soprano's this year!

·
Super Moderator
8,212 Posts
This must the first race in like.. forever.. that Rossi hasen´t finished top 10 and not broken the race.

//amullo

·
Registered
32 Posts
Rossi out in first lap

It was a real disappointment to not see Rossi in the race. I always cheer him on and have been a fan of his for some time. But ... if he had not been t-boned by Elias, I would not have expected him to win the first race. He was in the third row for the start and though Valentino is a very talented rider, I don't think he had the equipment to win. Not that he isn't capable, but Ducati has a sweet package this year.

Ducati has really "upped the ante" this year with an unbelievably fast package being piloted by Loris Capirossi (three cheers for Ducati!). I think we will be seeing lots of podium's with Loris up in the top two. It will be a great year for Ducati if they keep up the pace as they have in this first race.

Yeah, it was a surprising race 1. Let's hope everyone is in for the show at round 2 in Valencia.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
jmastrol said:
Ducati has really "upped the ante" this year with an unbelievably fast package being piloted by Loris Capirossi (three cheers for Ducati!). I think we will be seeing lots of podium's with Loris up in the top two. It will be a great year for Ducati if they keep up the pace as they have in this first race.
Maybe Ducati has upped the ante this year, but that race was no demonstration of great speed.

05 Jerez winner:Rossi 45'43.156
06 Jerez winner:Capirossi 45'57.733
(Both races run under similar conditions)

So, this unbelievably fast package took about 0.5 seconds longer to get around Jerez than the M1 did a year ago. Is everyone slower or was Capirossi just hiding something and toying with Pedrosa? Time will tell.

I hope Nicky get that new Honda in order soon. Sure, Pedrosa was on last years bike, but it still couldn't have been easy watching the rookie teammate pull away so easily.

Tony

Tony

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
jmastrol said:
It was a real disappointment to not see Rossi in the race. I always cheer him on and have been a fan of his for some time.
Yeah I was kinda looking forward to Rossi going head to head with Pedrosa actully. I don't know about experience or talent, but I think Dani can match Rossi mentally (vs. like a Gibernau or Biaggi). But I think Rossi even admitted that Loris was in control the whole weekend so it would have been a tough battle even if he didn't crash out.

That's awesome that Capirossi and Ducati came out swinging in the first round, but you know- I'm REALLY starting to feel bad for Sete now...man...worst luck ever...

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
SouthsideDuc said:
Maybe Ducati has upped the ante this year, but that race was no demonstration of great speed.

05 Jerez winner:Rossi 45'43.156
06 Jerez winner:Capirossi 45'57.733
(Both races run under similar conditions)

So, this unbelievably fast package took about 0.5 seconds longer to get around Jerez than the M1 did a year ago. Is everyone slower or was Capirossi just hiding something and toying with Pedrosa? Time will tell.

I hope Nicky get that new Honda in order soon. Sure, Pedrosa was on last years bike, but it still couldn't have been easy watching the rookie teammate pull away so easily.

Tony

Tony
And your observation is no demonstation either because Capi was not pushed much for most of the race and one only needs to go as fast as needed to win. So, the race to race elapsed time means little in this instance. Had Pedrosa been on his tail throughout the race the race pace would have been much different.

Edit! After posting and re-reading this thread, my opening sentance reads a little shitty sounding (to me). Please don't take it that way.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
jmastrol said:
But ... if he had not been t-boned by Elias, I would not have expected him to win the first race. He was in the third row for the start and though Valentino is a very talented rider, I don't think he had the equipment to win. .
Yes he started on the the 3rd row, but he was running in 3rd when he got punted.

That's racing but he will avoid Elias in future.. Rossi has regularly just settled into 2nd or 3rd for quite a few laps then once he passes he has the widest bike on the track.

I like Sete, but I don't feel he will do any better than his predecessors.

Come on Casey and Chris V

Mal

·
Registered
447 Posts
All these guys can strap a friken jet engine to their ass and they still can't beat Rossi. How many times have we heard about this rider and that rider that can match Rossi's talent and in the end it's just hipe. Don't get me wrong, I really really hope that I'm completly off the mark and that Rossi finally gets some competition. It would really energize moto GP. The chances of two Jordan's, or Pele's at one time are slim to none. Rossi will still win the moto GP this year and every year until he gets bored.

D

·
0 Posts
I'm so mad at myself I slept in and missed the damn thing :mad: , think I am going to watch it on the computer on www.motogp.com and just pay for it.First time I missed the race and the opening race at that plus I wanted to see Rossi crash grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr..... Glad Ducati won, I am a Rossi fan though and would of liked him to win :D oh well I think he will win next time, I hope, too bad he's got a ride a YAMAHA HA HA HA HA! :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
SouthsideDuc said:
Tony
Well I would only disagree with "conditions being similar". The track seemed rather warm and the sun was out in full, last year was more overcast. If you saw how Capirossi's tires began to go away fairly early -- by lap 10 he was really sliding around and his lap times plummeted. I thought for sure the Michelin shod Pedrosa bike was going to run him down. Then Pedrosa got inside of 1 second with maybe 8 laps to go and he started to slide around like a flat tracker...only at ridiculously fast speeds. Anyway, the Desmo bike seems to pull stronger than the Honda's on the fast sections but I think Michelin still has a leg up on Bridgestone where it really matters. If the track had been a bit cooler, or Rossi had been the pursuer, I suspect Capirossi would be in 2nd or 3rd, the Bridgestone's just seem to go away way too fast. Got to be a big hit to the folks at Yamaha to not place a bike even in top 10. Going to make for a very entertaining season.

·
Registered
835 Posts
listen guys, as long as rossi dosen't crash out again, he'll win the entire gp again, i'll bet money on it..........

·
Registered
447 Posts
Word!

Nice package by Ducati, better tires, stronger engine .. it all means squat when Rossi is on the bike. That is the whole and entire point. He is the man, on any bike, at any time. Next thing he will do is get Vespa to build a GP scooter, so he can end this debate forever.
What Ducati needs is not a bike, they need a Rossi. They need to put that Italian on an italian bike.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Ducati won fair and square

I was lucky enough to have been in Jerez for the race. So Rossi fell off. I would have liked him to be at the top of the field. But give him his due he got back up and finished the race, but with an open road in front of him he did not post best lap time to beat Capirossi's best lap.
What pisses me off about some of the rossi fans is that the only reason they support him is because he was a winner up till now. My wife and I were the only Ducati supporters in the hotel and took a bit of flack on the first day. Funny how many so called Rossi fans went home wearing Ducati t-shirts, says a lot about them.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
xopher said:
I was lucky enough to have been in Jerez for the race. So Rossi fell off. I would have liked him to be at the top of the field. But give him his due he got back up and finished the race, but with an open road in front of him he did not post best lap time to beat Capirossi's best lap.
What pisses me off about some of the rossi fans is that the only reason they support him is because he was a winner up till now. My wife and I were the only Ducati supporters in the hotel and took a bit of flack on the first day. Funny how many so called Rossi fans went home wearing Ducati t-shirts, says a lot about them.
His bike was missing part of the front brake lever and apparently a foot peg as well, plus whatever else was thrown out of balance, so one could hardly expect him to set the fastest lap. Good on him for getting back on and gathering the info on engine etc for the rest of the season.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
--xXXx-- said:
His bike was missing part of the front brake lever and apparently a foot peg as well, plus whatever else was thrown out of balance, so one could hardly expect him to set the fastest lap. Good on him for getting back on and gathering the info on engine etc for the rest of the season.
And a bent clip on, no rear brake, etc.

Tom

·
Administrator
6,168 Posts
st2lemans said:
And a bent clip on, no rear brake, etc.

Tom
Hell, I see a lot of guys that can't ride worth a damn with EVERYTHING in working order.

I was a Biaggi fan in GP, because I used to be a Lawson/Rainey fan (meaning Marlboro Yamaha). As I watched Rossi in the 250's I was a fan of his. When he hit the GP I was a Rossi fan, before people knew who Valentino was.
Nastro Azzurro stuff is still in my daily wardrobe.
I mean come on, I painted my Duc in fluorescent yellow to match my Nastro Azzurro Dainese.

BUT

I will always love Ducati.
And I will always support Ducati.
So if Sete is a rider, I support him.
Past be damned, we have to support our factory guys.
At least it isn't Chuck-It-Away Checa.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
SP3 said:
And your observation is no demonstation either because Capi was not pushed much for most of the race and one only needs to go as fast as needed to win. So, the race to race elapsed time means little in this instance. Had Pedrosa been on his tail throughout the race the race pace would have been much different.

Edit! After posting and re-reading this thread, my opening sentance reads a little shitty sounding (to me). Please don't take it that way.

No worries, I LOVE this stuff!! All of the conjecture and argument is in good fun and now we have the grids forming to let us see what the real story will be.

Now, as far as the GP6, no doubt it is a very quick package this year. It was impressive to watch on the straights and can certainly put down a quick qualifying time. The big question in my mind is the Bridgestones and it will remain to see how they hold up for an entire race with Rossi, instead of Pedrosa, riding up the pipes of the GP6.

And Rossi? The Yamaha seems to be giving real problems this year. I think the practice times at Jerez give good insight into his situation. Rossi found his limit on Day 1 while just about all other riders dropped a second or so on Day 2. This chatter thing seems to be very, very real. Rossi is probably the only person who could ride this bike this fast, but until they get the problem sorted I think he'll be fighting for podiums, not wins.

Tony

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
+1 on supporting the machine. Rossi well simply put is the man. I guess we will have to settle with him as a test driver for Ferrari? Meaning Italian in an Italian.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts