Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stoner announces retirement -> everybody talks about what Rossi is going to do.

Lorenzo takes the lead in points -> everybody talks about what is wrong with Rossi's bike.

Lorenzo gets booted off the track -> everybody wonders whether Honda is going to make a play for Rossi.

Stoner closes the gap for the lead in points -> everybody talks about Audi buying Ducati and what this means for Rossi.

Regardless of what happens in MotoGP it all relates back to Rossi.

·
I have a button.. BITCHES!
8,971 Posts
Stoner announces retirement -> everybody talks about what Rossi is going to do.

Lorenzo takes the lead in points -> everybody talks about what is wrong with Rossi's bike.

Lorenzo gets booted off the track -> everybody wonders whether Honda is going to make a play for Rossi.

Stoner closes the gap for the lead in points -> everybody talks about Audi buying Ducati and what this means for Rossi.

Regardless of what happens in MotoGP it all relates back to Rossi.
:D

He's like the 'Kevin Bacon' of bike racing.

·
Registered
514 Posts
You're on a Ducati forum, where everyone presumably likes Ducati, and they have the most popular rider riding a Ducati. It surprises you that they talk about Rossi a lot this year?

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
... Regardless of what happens in MotoGP it all relates back to Rossi.
Just figuring this out now? Valentino Rossi is THE rider to most people too young to remember Lawson, Rainey, even Doohan. And those relatively energetic younger folks are the ones filling the seats at races. DORNA knows this and acts accordingly.

It was an unforeseen blow to lose Stoner though, since he had fan appeal (love him, hate him) that Lorenzo, skilled track surgeon that he is, just doesn't outside of Spain.

Until some other larger-than-life type comes along, Rossi is the meal ticket for MotoGP. It's all about 'Will Rossi prevail and master the Ducati? Or, will he get back to winning form on another bike? Will he mend fences with Honda and become their champion again? Will Yamaha see the error of their ways and welcome him back to the fold?'. It's drama and mystery and hero-worship, and it sells tickets.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Matt_P - penalty for going recursive on us. You'll have to start the next race from the back of the grid.

@Ryan - It's not just here. It's everywhere (BARF, Honda forums, Kawi forums, Yamaha forums). Jump on other forums, racing news sites, even the SCOTUS is talking about Rossi!

And @EagleRider has it - At this point Rossi is MotoGP which as much as I like him is terrible. Ben Spies, Simoncelli and other younger riders were supposed to move it and spread things out. Hasnt happened yet. George is pretty good, but he doesnt have that bit of spark or whatever. Stoner in my opinion is only a loss on the racing side, not to the business. For all his personality he might as well be in CMRA or WERA where nobody would care.

When I got in to Motorcycles and then motorcycle racing I didnt miss a race. I downloaded every AMA, WSBK, MotoGP event off of RU and watched them all. Then AMA fucked itself with the Rodger fellow so I stopped watching. WSBK w/o Haga, Ben or Troy (see I do like Aussies - ones who have personality and can articulate more than simple gruntting sounds) hasnt really held my attention. Checa is nice and all and Biaggi is great to watch...but it doesnt overcome all the other shit demanding my attention. Which leaves me with MotoGP which I've only managed to watch 2 races this year. The rest is reading the Rossi drama over the backdrop of the actual racing.

So who is going to step up from WSBK, AMA, Moto3, Moto2, BSB or fuck NASCAR to take some of the load off of Rossi's shoulders? Spies apparently can't do it. Collin Edwards makes a good Sideshow Bob, but he isn't the spotlight attraction. Pedrosa? nope. Lorenzo? Possibly, but he doesnt dominate races like Rossi used to, he doesnt seem to have the showmanship Rossi has. Stoner? Even if somehow they keep him around - he still doesnt replace Rossi. The shit Rossi did with 500cc bikes Stoner doesnt deliver. Coming from the back of the field and winning the race - havent seen Stoner do that. Nevermind the non racing stuff.

For the purests out there that want to natter on about how great Stoner is: he is a fast rider. That is the cover charge to get in to professional racing. Everybody in AMA, WSBK, BSB, MotoGP and so on is a fast rider. Done deal. He is amazingly fast. But that extra bit to be great or legendary...I don't see that he has it. He doesnt necassarily have to be the life of the party cracking jokes. He doesnt have to chase tail. But that he needs that extra bit otherwise he is just a MotoGP champion who will be forgotten like so many others.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Going a step further:
Say Rossi pulls a Stoner tomorrow - "Screw Dorna, screw Ducati - I'm going to Subaru in the WRC next year!"

What happens to MotoGP?
My bet - viewership goes through the floor, race attendance will look like AMA attendance under Rogers watch and sponsors disappear.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
@MH: sorry dude, somehow it double posted.

BTW - Part of my point originally is that it has to suck for the rest of the field. These guys work their asses off to be in the race. They brake bones, destory muscles and pour their lives in to racing. And what do they get? People talking about this Italian jagoff who is eating skittles and complaining that his bike doesnt work.

Lorenzo and Stoner fight tooth and nail for those podiums and it aint easy, they are both so fast that the only way the other makes a pass is if the other makes a slight mistake. And for that....Everybody wonders where Rossi will be next year. Fuck that noise.

·
Banned
8,181 Posts
Just figuring this out now? Valentino Rossi is THE rider to most people too young to remember Lawson, Rainey, even Doohan. And those relatively energetic younger folks are the ones filling the seats at races. DORNA knows this and acts accordingly.

It was an unforeseen blow to lose Stoner though, since he had fan appeal (love him, hate him) that Lorenzo, skilled track surgeon that he is, just doesn't outside of Spain.

Until some other larger-than-life type comes along, Rossi is the meal ticket for MotoGP. It's all about 'Will Rossi prevail and master the Ducati? Or, will he get back to winning form on another bike? Will he mend fences with Honda and become their champion again? Will Yamaha see the error of their ways and welcome him back to the fold?'. It's drama and mystery and hero-worship, and it sells tickets.
Eagle rider speaks for CAlexio. (aka +1)

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
well said Tweek...

in the end, personality is what most people will remember.
I loved watching Lawson race.. 4 time champ.. never mentioned in the "lists" of who people remember and admire. Must suck a bit for Lawson..

Stoner reminds me of Lawson a lot... but like you said, the business of GP needs a face.. a personality... not just the fastest guy out there. That does not translate to ticket sales.

to me?... it was to be Simo.. RIP #58...

I thought that Simo was the future of GP... as far as someone that could win, but also entertain..

Out of the current crop?.. hard to tell.. perhaps that is why I am a fan of Cal. He seems to be guy that has a bit of that spark.
If Cal got on a Factory bike.. and started winning?... perhaps...

·
Registered
654 Posts
If they want to make it interesting, give someone who is proven to ride with reckless abandon a chance, who has mass American appeal as he ticks several boxes, that man is Blake Young. Whether his bike works or not, he puts it on the box. To watch him go from last to first in 1.5 laps and beat Josh Hayes was awe inspiring to say the least.

Quick dump him on a Honda before he figures out he is not invincible.

They should force Motogp to goto moto 1 next year and end it. It would be far more entertaining.

·
FRONT TOWARDS ENEMY
163 Posts
He is the Tiger Woods of the MotoGP world.

·
Premium Member
1,198 Posts
Maybe,

but I did begin to watch world SB this year for the first time. Fields are closer, plenty of strange stuff (entire BMW team taken out on final lap of race month ago +/_), but the dueling between Biaggi and Melandri yesterday in the first race was epic.

bob

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
If they want to make it interesting, give someone who is proven to ride with reckless abandon a chance, who has mass American appeal as he ticks several boxes, that man is Blake Young. Whether his bike works or not, he puts it on the box. To watch him go from last to first in 1.5 laps and beat Josh Hayes was awe inspiring to say the least.

Quick dump him on a Honda before he figures out he is not invincible.

They should force Motogp to goto moto 1 next year and end it. It would be far more entertaining.
I like the way You think... and that come-back on Hayes was epic to say the least... well put...

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,735 Posts
So do you blokes want incredibly fast and talented riders or circus clowns to entertain the masses?

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
I want naked umbrella girls the do their job standing on their heads. :)

·
Come in Spinner :)
7,735 Posts
Remember Agostini?
To the non Italian speaking world at the time he was as personable as Ben Spies is now.
He is still the GOAT though and the record book is all that really counts as personal memories of personality traits fade.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts