Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The U.S. round of MotoGP just so happens to fall on my 32nd birthday weekend this year. I booked a flight from LAX, bought a 3 day general admission ticket, and a pit pass. Anyone else here gonna go? It's my first MotoGP race and first big motorsports event. Anything I should know about before I get there?

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,813 Posts
Yes. 1) You will not get enough sleep. 2) It's going to be excruciating without your bike. A bunch of us from the Ducati club here in Chicago are having our bikes trucked down. I'm flying in Thursday morning and out Monday. I have an extra 3 day Ducati Island pass, by the way. Reserved Ducati grandstand and Ducati Island motorcycle parking.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, I know leaving my bike at home is gonna suck :frown2:. But oh well. And I know I'll probably be stocking up on energy drinks. Any good food spots or bars around Austin to hit up while I'm there? Never been to Austin before.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
The one single benefit of not having your bike is............................................... you can drink like a fish! And Austin I've heard is absolutely awesome, you're gonna have a blast. I'm jealous.

·
Buzzing the tower
996 Posts
Yeah, I know leaving my bike at home is gonna suck :frown2:. But oh well. And I know I'll probably be stocking up on energy drinks. Any good food spots or bars around Austin to hit up while I'm there? Never been to Austin before.

There are too many good/great eating spots to list them here. Same with bars downtown. Regardless where you go, I'm pretty sure you will have a good time. Being a local, I don't have to worry about transport. But you will need to get that buttoned down. The track is far enough south of town that there are not many (if any) established transport paths to and from the facility. They have buses for F1, but I haven't heard of any setup for MotoGP. Probably not the most up-to-date plan, but you can probably get taxis to-from the airport (also south and closer to the track than downtown) and get reasonable transport from there.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I'm riding down from St. Louis the day before (07Apr) and will be there all weekend.
Look for the scruffiest, dirtiest, most beat-up looking Monster on Ducati Island.

PhilB

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,813 Posts
I'm riding down from St. Louis the day before (07Apr) and will be there all weekend.
Look for the scruffiest, dirtiest, most beat-up looking Monster on Ducati Island.

PhilB
Riding? Oooof. Good for you, but for me, those days have passed.

Mr Morgue--sorry, just checked in on this thread. I'll send you a PM.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Food is great don't think you can find bad food in Austin . Bars you will be in music ville every band turns it up at least one notch for Austin , some of the best guitar is played every night in AUSTIN !

·
Registered
527 Posts
I'll be riding down from Kansas City on Wednesday and returning on Monday. I volunteered to man a caution flag and was accepted, so I'll get a ring side seat. Free entry, free parking, free food, and I get to ride my bike on the track Saturday night. Whoo hoo!! I don't know what the schedule will be like, but I'm hoping I can break away long enough to stop by the Island once or twice.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I volunteered 2 years ago and it was a lot of fun, but the days were long and will be even longer now that MotoAmerica is on the schedule. I was stationed at the exit of turn 15 which was nice to watch from, but if you want a souvenir you can't beat turn one.

You may not have time during the day to stop by the vendor area, but they normally hang around at the end of the day.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The one single benefit of not having your bike is............................................... you can drink like a fish! And Austin I've heard is absolutely awesome, you're gonna have a blast. I'm jealous.

You will love Austin. There are a million good places to eat, but I recommend Frank, Home Slice, and Gus's Fried Chicken. And Taco Deli. :)

·
Registered
51 Posts
COTA Moto GP

Anyone riding/going to the Moto GP in Austin next weekend?
Just treated myself to a 2016 MotoGP Ducati Grandstand Ticket Package, and was wondering if we can meet-up at the circuit, will be a great event me thinks. :grin2:

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'll be there, got my 3 day Ducati Island package already.
Long range forecast looks like rain, like last year sh!t.
If so I will trailer up there from Houston and ride from the parking lot to the island!!
Been there done that, not for the GP but last Years F1 race, crappy weather but still a great event.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
17,896 Posts
I'll be there, got my 3 day Ducati Island package already.

Long range forecast looks like rain, like last year sh!t.

If so I will trailer up there from Houston and ride from the parking lot to the island!!

No, no, no. Park somewhere else and ride to the track. Parking there sucks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
The only good parking at CotA is either in Ducati Island (dirt lot) or if they have the infield lots open for bikes. Everything else is terrible.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm planning on meeting at Ducati Austin and riding with them to COTA, I think we will be parking in the infield. I only got GA tickets so nothing special for me.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts