Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Mexican Ducatista
938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I am planning to attend the USA Grand Prix this year.
There is another thread about this subject but it is almost 3 years old, and I'd like to know about your experiences from last year and the year before that.

It will be my first Grand Prix ever and I plan to bring my oldest son (adult) with me.
I am not considering VIP tickets over $1000 for now but I'd like to have a nice overall experience from Friday (or Saturday) to Sunday.

Is Ducati island really worth it, considering that I am not arriving on my bike?
Is the Flex pass a lot better than Grandstand tickets?
If I decide to go for Grandstand tickets, which turn/section would be the best?
Would general admission tickets be a bad choice? I like the idea of being capable to move around, but I assume that any seats would be off-limits with this kind of ticket.
Am I required to buy food and drinks inside, or can I bring in a cooler with goodies?

Your guidance will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
893 Posts
The Ducati package is not worth it in my opinion since they moved Ducati "Island" to the area next to the main grandstands and included main grandstand seating. The worst seats at the track are the main grandstand seats in my opinion. Ducati Island is open to everyone and anyone, and all the amenities of the Island are open to anyone who can prove Ducati ownership (bring a key or registration), but you don't get the Ducati goodie bag or motorcycle parking, unless you buy the Ducati Island ticket.

The best grandstand seats are in the turn 15 grandstands and the eastern end of the turn 12 grandstands (where Ducati Island seats used to be). In both grandstands, sitting lower gets you closer to the action in the turns in front of you, higher up in the stands gets you a better view of the rest of track making it possible to follow more of the race. The best ticket value is general admission which generally sells out. The area between turns 3 to 10 has lots of good places to sit without being in a grandstand and there are other places to sit around the track which are good places to watch from. The turn 15 grandstands are the most centrally located and provide the easiest access to food and drink as well as the vendors, exhibitors and restrooms.

I've always ridden to the track, so I don't know what limits if any exist on what you can bring in the track. I don't think there are any, but don't know for sure.

If you're going to Austin consider also attending the Aprilia party at AF1 and the Ducati party at Ducati Austin and the Handbuilt Motorcycle Show.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I always get GA tickets, many vantage points are available from the lawns. If you do get seats, Turn 15 is the place to get them because it is the only place where there is no GA vantage point. Definitely bring along a small camp chair or blanket though, Texas isn't known for lush grass or very predictable weather in spring time.

No coolers but we have brought food and water bottles in before.

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
We did COTA last year and I did the Ducati Island thing. It was ok, the viewing isn't amazing, but it was nice parking that close to the track. Probably the neatest thing was that it was inside the gates so Saturday we managed to make it to the track between the really early bad weather and the later weather but they still had the main gates closed. We could walk around inside for about an hour or so with only the vendors there, no crowds at all. Of course that's random luck there, haha.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts