Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone had experience with MotoFizz's Quick Release tank bag mounting system? All I really need in a bag is room enough for gloves, a medium sized camera, and a few smallish items. My main objective is to have a bag that doesn't mar the finish on the tank and I believe the only way to achieve that is through a mounting system like theirs or Marsee's.:think:

Thanks,

LL

·
Registered
824 Posts
I have...................

..........a Moto Fizz seat bag that I like alot but don't know about thier tankbags. I can tell you that I use an RKA 16L tankbag (expandable, magnetic) & it's great. 26k+ miles on my ST4s & no marks on my tank yet. Also it's made in USA. Nice low profile plus the option to expand. Hope this helps.
Gregg

Attachments

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
..........a Moto Fizz seat bag that I like alot but don't know about thier tankbags. I can tell you that I use an RKA 16L tankbag (expandable, magnetic) & it's great. 26k+ miles on my ST4s & no marks on my tank yet. Also it's made in USA. Nice low profile plus the option to expand. Hope this helps.
Gregg
Thanks Gregg, I too have a Motofizz seat bag and it's a great product which is why I'm interested in their Quick Release tank bag system. I'm afraid I'm a tank bag junky as I already have several, both strap and magnetic mounts. The problem I've encountered with them is on long rides in grimy grubby weather conditions enough grit works it's way under them that scratching occurs. Refueling is another sore spot as it requires removing or sliding the bag off to the side and back. One of the most recent bags I've tried is the
FAMSA system with the exposed gas cap cut out. That seems to work well but the bag is a monster, size-wise.

The biggest damage I ever sustained occurred when I set my magnetic bag down on the parking lot for a moment and then remounted it without checking the bottom. The magnets attracted a host of metallic granules and the resulting damage was awful. Luckily it wasn't on the Duc but it still stung a lot as the black paint took a real beating before I discovered it.

In addition to keeping the tank waxed I've also used that expanded rubber sheeting available as shelf liner. It works to a point but if you encounter much dust & grit I think the small openings act as traps for it. I make it a point to clean the tank daily before returning the bag so I'm always starting with a clean surface.

So...still waiting to see if anyone has tried the MotoFizz system.

Thanks,

LL :)

·
Registered
887 Posts
My main objective is to have a bag that doesn't mar the finish on the tank and I believe the only way to achieve that is through a mounting system like theirs or Marsee's.:think:
I have 46,000 miles with a large tankbag with a standard three-point fastex quick-release straps and the tank shows no wear. The bag is always mounted when I'm riding as is generally jam packed with 15-22 lbs. of gear (camera, lenses, water, snacks, etc). The only wear on the tank is on the side where my Cordura riding pants rub. It seems the plastic tank panel cover and the raised fuel filler take all the weight so the tank is left undamaged.

I would not use a magnetic bag for the reasons you mention and I also like the security of straps at speed with such a heavy bag. Fueling is easy, I just loosen the forward strap on the pump side, push the tankbag so it is hanging off the opposide side and fuel away. When it's full I only have one strap to cinch up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I use a Bags-Connection 'Trip' bag. It has a ring that mounts around your gas cap and the bag clips on to it. It never touches your tank. I have it on an ST3. Got it from Twisted Throttle.

Jim R

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Mike, Maybe I'll try my FAMSA bag on it, it's a strap retained system that allows you to unzip just the bag leaving the gas filler cap exposed through a cut out opening.

Best,

LL

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dang!

Thanks Mike, Maybe I'll try my FAMSA bag on it, it's a strap retained system that allows you to unzip just the bag leaving the gas filler cap exposed through a cut out opening.

Best,

LL
Well that didn't work so it's on to something else. :mad: Hey Mike, where exactly do you hook your tank bag straps? I should have asked you earlier about the Mfg & model.

Thanks,

LL

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use a Bags-Connection 'Trip' bag. It has a ring that mounts around your gas cap and the bag clips on to it. It never touches your tank. I have it on an ST3. Got it from Twisted Throttle.

Jim R
Hi Jim,
You wouldn't by any chance have a photo of your Trip bag you could post, do you? I've been looking at their stuff on Twisted Throttle and they're pretty interesting. I can't help wondering how stable some of their larger bags are considering there's only the gas filler mount.
Thanx
LL :)

·
Registered
887 Posts
Hey Mike, where exactly do you hook your tank bag straps? I should have asked you earlier about the Mfg & model.

Thanks,

LL
It's a large Chase Harper Sport-tour tankbag. I have looped one small loop of nylon webbing around the small frame members on either side (aft) of the steering tube. Threaded around these loops are Fastex style plastic clips on webbing. They plug into the Fastex clips on the forward corners of the CH tankbag. The fastex clip on the rear center of the bag goes to a similar setup affixed to the fuel tank hinge pivot. I only need to lengthen one of the forward buckles about three inches to slide the rear of the tankbag far enough left or right to expose the fuel filler. To remove the bag completely I just unclip the three clips.

The link below has a few photos of the bag in use. All photos are of the bag in the non-expanded state. If I remove my heated jacket liner there is a zipper running around the sides and front of the bag that allows the forward part to expand into a wedge shape.

http://home.comcast.net/~masonry5/Madness2008/Madness2008_2.html

The CH tankbag has a rubberized piece of fabric on the bottom that extends slightly beyond the edges of the bag. After 46,000 miles of this setup I cannot see any wear on the paint. My Cordura riding pants have worn all the way through the paint where my knee touches the tank. I do not consider this a big deal, more of a "beauty mark".

I really like keeping the weight forward on this bike and it is very convenient having my cameras and lenses, extra clothing, water, snacks, visor cleaning stuff, tire pressure gauge and a spare pair of gloves handy without needing to remove the seat or open the panniers.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Best I've got.

Man that's a little guy, thanks for posting the photo, it's much better than the factory shot.

Best,

LL

·
Registered
651 Posts
+ one on the SW Motech. They make some other great bags as well with the bags connection brand.
I take the tank ring off when I am not using it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts