Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, anyone watching? Last year I went ahead and popped for a subscription so I could watch as I wanted.

I was kinda bummed at first as the presentation isn’t nearly on the same level as WSBK much less MotoGP. Also, broadcast resolution from some tracks was no where near HD level much less UHD.

Anyway, this year is much better all the way around. Resolution is better, presentation is better. And the best stuff isn’t even in the superbike class. Junior cup and twins cup are where our future talents are coming up.

There have been few riders I’ve seen in our domestic series to have left me as impressed as last years junior cup champ, Rocco Landers.

He’s not disappointed this year either. Road Atlanta ran today and he put on another dominating display. He’s off to the Redbull Rookies Cup next year and I hope he shows what he can do there.

The next up and coming rider had his first pro race today, at barely 14. Blake Davis in his first pro races ever finished 10th in yesterday’s race and 8th today. He ran as high as 5th for a while yesterday and again today.

I don’t think it will be long before he’s running at the front. Thing is, there are 2 South Africans who are just behind Rocco on traffic. Dominic Doyle and Sam Lochoff are both pretty impressive in their own right.

Doyle being the only rider I’ve seen yet get the better of Rocco. The three of them are future stars in the bigger classes. Hopefully we’ll see them rise to MotoGP and do us proud. Anyone else keeping an eye on these kids?

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Ah, I don’t watch. I’ve lost interest in US road racing around the the DMG debacle days. Then 2008 crushed budgets, what were mid packers were winning Daytona (not that I could stay with one of those riders for half a lap) IDK, it just sorta lost its sheen. I’ll skim a write up on Cycle News on a Moto-A event here and there, but with the MotoGP video pass I get my racing fix there.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
I watched some a while back on line and remembered some of the old excitement. I used to go to Laguna Seca every year, sometimes twice. I think the last time was 2013, and I just got burned out after ~ 20 years. Seemed like same stuff different year. A weekend trip got to be over $1,000 and that's just me sharing a room. If Mrs Wife went it would have cost more.

Also racing moved from normal cable channels to ones that cost extra. Cycle News killed their paper mag, and I have not been following.

But, thinking about a return to Laguna Seca this year. Three day ticket in $59 and 2 day is $49. Another $30 or $20 for parking. Motels probably won't price gouge like MotoGP years, so it could be well under $1,000. Plus, I need an excuse for a road trip.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
A number of motels have rooms under $100 a night. MotoGP years I seem to recall Motel 6 over $200.
Tent camping at track $50, I guess for the weekend. Done that. I'll leave that to the young types.
Hmm...

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OH man, no issues. I've gone to Laguna for a long time as well. Haven't planned on going this year really. MotoA all on it's own isn't enough for me to head down and pay a grand for the weekend to stay. WSBK, sure. I'd go. Cannery Row is still okay. Not as good as in the old days but still okay.

Back then it was a celebration. The most exotic bikes around could found on Cannery Row back then. Stuff you'd only see in magazines. Then came the extended swing arm and neon crowd. That was kind of the beginning of the end for me.

I could look all day, and evening too at a gathering of exotica like Bimotas, Honda NRs and rare Ducatis. I could give 2 sh1ts about another 'Busa with a 12" over swng arm with a sound system and enough neon to put Vegas to shame.

Sadly, it's still more about the latter than the former....though there are still a few exotics and customs worth looking at. Not as many as before, nor as exotic. Haven't seen a Bimota there in so long I forget the last time I saw one.

Would be better if it didn't get shut down early like it has the last few years. Then again, with the idiots who think it's cool to ride down the row, revving their engines to the rev limiter and holding it to make as much noise as possible....that just pisses people off. PD has to close down the row early due to idiots like that.

I didn't miss a year of SBK, save for 2002 when I was unavoidably ordered on temporary duty out of the state. Went the first few years of MotoGP but after 2007 it was just trash. Not the racing, but just the whole experience. Hotels were stupid pricey, tickets were expensive and when I pay for preferred parking, that means on asphalt. Not in the grass on a hill side so far from the track I had to take a golf cart ride to get there.

That was kind of the last straw for me. Well, that and the hotel we stayed in told us we couldn't reserve a room for the next year because Yamaha corporate had reserved the entire hotel. Once it became more about the corporations than the everyday Joe spectator, I stopped going.

Been going again since SBK returned in 2013 (I think) but as I already stated, we're probably not going this year. Not for the races anyway. We started a tradition of going once tourist season ends and all the hotels reduce their rates for winter. It's much more relaxed and we go do stuff unrelated to motorcycles.....though we do still go do that too.

Anyway, back on topic, I've not been really interested in MotoA as far as Superbikes goes. Mostly the smaller classes as that's where the future starts are. I gotta say though, Garret Gerloff isn't doing horribly in WSBK right now. He's run as high as 8th in a field that's pretty deep. He's finished ahead of the likes of Haslam, Sykes, Laverty and a host of others. He was even 8th in the second Superpole ahead of Melandri. I think he was 10th in today's Jerez race 2.

It's his first year in WBSK so to be running that high already gives me hope there will be more US riders in world championship racing. It's been far too long since we've had anyone capable of challenging the top in either SBK or MotoGP. Last US win on the world stage? Nick Hayden in Sepang, 2016.

Reactions: LA2SD

·
Premium Member
1997 748 Mono
63 Posts
I’m mostly watching the motoGP this year but I’ve watched what I could of MotoA as well. Best race I saw from Atlanta was the twins cup I think they streamed on Facebook, I like watching the younger riders too, Iwannaduc, and would be fun if the good ones get opportunities globally at some point.

Was also looking to see how Jacobsen did in the stock but he didn’t seem to qualify for some reason and I couldnt find any info on what happened.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yesterday, during the MotoA Twins Cup and Liqui Moly Junior Cup races, Jason Pridmore and Greg White stated that today, Rocco Landers is off to Austria for his Red Bull Rookies cup ride.

Previously it was stated this was to happen next year but holy crap, now is as good a time as any. If he is able to display the obvious talent he's shown here, we may have our next big star in the making.

This kid has decimated the class in the Junior Cup. He won races last year from the back of the grid. In a class where everyone is on very nearly the same bike. This year, he's ridden away from all but one rider, a certain South African named Dominic Doyle.

Even then, he's won by 4 seconds or more at times. He won in the Twins Cup yesterday by several seconds over riders with years of experience and on motorcycles with superior top speed (SV650 vs 700cc MT-07).

This kid is seriously just into his teens. He won the title last year at just 14. Hoping he shows the other Red Bull Rookies his rear wheel all season.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Watched the Red Bull Rookies cup race today. Wasn't pretty. Rocco lined up outside of the top 20 and finished in 16th.....though he was some 34 seconds down on the first group. 40 plus behind the winner. I don't expect that will be the norm as Race #2 is tomorrow.

Missing the 2 day test last week probably (most likely) didn't do him any favors. He is one just a few true rookies in the cup as there are guys at the front on their second or 3rd year in the cup. Hope his learning curve is steep.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
MotoAmerica added a "new" track to their schedule this year. "The Ridge" Motorsports park in Wa. State. Really excellent race track with a lot of elevation changes and some very challenging sections. Really nice surface, not some old beat up track with a lot of patches and such. The slowest corner in the series as well, a 1st gear turn which ends up being a passing point.

The 600cc Supersport class has been really exciting. I'm SO TIRED of the love affair the race commenters have with "Sean Dylan Kelly" ... that's all you hear them say over and over ... Sean Dylan Kelly this ... Sean Dylan Kelly that ... oh I'm so in love with Sean Dylan Kelly .. Sean Dylan Kelly .. Sean Dylan Kelly .. SEAN DYLAN KELLY!!!!! And the punk bitches about how his Suzuki has 37cc less than the Kawasaki ZX6R ... whine whine whine ... ugh!!!!!

Richie Escalante is the one to watch. Rides the hell out of that ZX6R, ill handing as those are.

Check The Ridge Motorsports Park ....

LINK = Komatsu MotoAmerica Superbikes at the Ridge

Escalante got taken out in the first turn of the first lap of the second moto. Points leader, at that.

"Altus Motorsports rider Jaret Nassaney was assessed two penalty points for “riding in an irresponsible manner, causing contact and a subsequent crash of yourself or another rider” for the incident in turn one at Ridge Motorsports Park in Supersport race one on Sunday, August 30. The incident took both Nassaney and championship points leader Richie Escalante out of the race. This is the first career sanction for Nassaney, who has raced with MotoAmerica since 2015.

If a rider receives four penalty points in a 365-day period, he/she will start the next race from the back of the grid, seven penalty points result in a pit-lane start, and ten penalty points translate to a ban for the following race."
(end quote)

Sean Kelly didn't even mention the two riders that are faster than he is (who were both out of the second race due to crashes) when he was accepting his 1st place trohpy ... not even a "I hope they're all right". Dickhead.

The Ridge looks to be a really nice race track. Very much a riders' track.

The Superbike class was funny, really. 2nd rurn, 1st lap, 1st moto ... 5 or 6 of them pile up while doing about twenty mph. A lot of broken gear. Unfortunately a few privateers got mixed up in it, most of whom don't have a spare swingarm (or whatever) just hanging up in the truck.

:)

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didn't watch either SBK or 600SS. The best racing is in the junior cup and twins class as well as the superstock class.

During the superstock race the commentators mentioned that Escalante actually drug a peg on one of the curbs and that was what caused his crash. I dunno, I didn't watch that race.

They're off to NJMP next weekend. That means Rocco Landers doesn't miss the race. He'll be at Misano the week after for Red Bull Rookies Cup and will miss the following US rounds.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts