1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
6,178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a freaking race!
Watched it online, man it was cool.
Freaking Rossi went from 7th to win.
Nicky Hayden and rossi diced a bit, but Hayden got 2nd.
Loris fought hard, but had a hard time passing Stoner, so his tires went away, it looked like. Still he podiumed and maintains points lead.
And Sete, finished 4th!
Finally Sete is running!

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Hey, I got to see it live also!! I was on edge those last couple laps...Sucks too cause I saw it from a hotel room in Kuwait!! 50 minute plane ride to Doha and a taxi to the track and I could have been there!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh well. Capirossi is still better off than Rossi so far in the points...yes, I know it's early.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
what are you talking about....I could HEAR it from here;-)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Finally was able to watch the race at work. This year is shaping up to be a good year.

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
Great race, I thought Nicky had Val, oh well.

See Hopkins throw a tantrum kicking his bike, then falling to the ground...

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
vduc said:
Great race, I thought Nicky had Val, oh well.

See Hopkins throw a tantrum kicking his bike, then falling to the ground...
Yeah, and I think it was last year he was allegedly taken out by Loris Cap and he threw a fit in the gravel trap, throwing rocks and stuff at him. I know being on a slow bike can be frustrating but to me hes not handling failure very well. Starting to act like an idiot throwing tantrums and all. If he doesn't watch it, someone is going to box his ears flat.

Race track to me is a boring race track for motorcycle racing. I would love to do a track day on it though. Not enough low gear slow downs and tight chicanes.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
THere is really only 1 place where most of the exchanges are going on... right at the end of the big straight... I was guessing that they designed it that way for the live audience, just a guess though...

I found it pretty awesome how Rossi and Hayden were dicing it on the infield ... and still maintaining a high level of control ... if you recall the first WSBK race this year, most of the dicing was going-on at the end of the straights, and when Haga and Kagayama tried to dice in the infield, the result was disastrous ... that "poker game" between Valentino and Nicky this weekend was simply awesome, and stoner got a real lesson on how the masters play.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
John said:
Yeah, and I think it was last year he was allegedly taken out by Loris Cap and he threw a fit in the gravel trap, throwing rocks and stuff at him. I know being on a slow bike can be frustrating but to me hes not handling failure very well. Starting to act like an idiot throwing tantrums and all. If he doesn't watch it, someone is going to box his ears flat.

Race track to me is a boring race track for motorcycle racing. I would love to do a track day on it though. Not enough low gear slow downs and tight chicanes.
Hopkins has every right to kick that POS Suzuki. Not having the fastest bike is one thing, but having bikes that blow multiple engines all weekend long is crazy. It is Suzuki's responsibility to get engine development finished before the season starts. These current bikes are putting both Suzuki riders in an impossible situation, not to mention a very dangerous one.

Tony

·
Registered
121 Posts
capirossi still leads in points

First MOTOGP race I have seen in years and what a show. I am amazed at the skill level of all the riders.
Reading the comments on MOTOGP's website about stoner shows the potential of this guy. This race he seemed to eager on the gas coming out of the turns and in result unsettled the bike on more then one occasion.
I loved the part when we were on board Hayden's bike watching Rossi. Plus having the throttle and brake displayed on the left side. It showed how Rossi brakes later and harder then gets on the gas sooner with more intensity. Both riders were very smooth with there riding technique. They find there mark, turn in, and off they go with very little steering corrections. Only do they change when trying to get better position when coming out or into a turn. (blocking or challenging another racer)
It was a shame that Capirossi couldn't join the battle.
After the race my friend and I were discussing tire compound and who chose what. Johnny told me Rossi used the hard tires because how much he beats on them with his riding style as previously talk about. If Rossi would have chosen the mediums like the rest he would wear the tires out sooner or have to change his braking and throttle control(technique).
What a battle for sixth! Pedrosa and Melandri changing position thought out the race.
Rossi may have to fight this season for the top rank.

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
RoAdK1LL said:
After the race my friend and I were discussing tire compound and who chose what. Johnny told me Rossi used the hard tires because how much he beats on them with his riding style as previously talk about. If Rossi would have chosen the mediums like the rest he would wear the tires out sooner or have to change his braking and throttle control(technique).
Rossi did choose mediums, front and rear Michelins (I think like all the other Michelin riders). It's what the announcer said and the graphic at the bottom of the screen showed. Capirossi had hards, front and rear, but he was Bridgestones, so you really can't compare.

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
RoAdK1LL said:
First MOTOGP race I have seen in years and what a show. I am amazed at the skill level of all the riders.
Reading the comments on MOTOGP's website about stoner shows the potential of this guy. This race he seemed to eager on the gas coming out of the turns and in result unsettled the bike on more then one occasion.
I loved the part when we were on board Hayden's bike watching Rossi. Plus having the throttle and brake displayed on the left side. It showed how Rossi brakes later and harder then gets on the gas sooner with more intensity. Both riders were very smooth with there riding technique. They find there mark, turn in, and off they go with very little steering corrections. Only do they change when trying to get better position when coming out or into a turn. (blocking or challenging another racer)
It was a shame that Capirossi couldn't join the battle.
What a battle for sixth! Pedrosa and Melandri changing position thought out the race.
Rossi may have to fight this season for the top rank.
Yes, I was impressed with the smoothness of the riders when it came to clutch and brake lever control. Invaluable lesson, more so with a 250HP machine underneath you.

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
SouthsideDuc said:
Hopkins has every right to kick that POS Suzuki. Not having the fastest bike is one thing, but having bikes that blow multiple engines all weekend long is crazy. It is Suzuki's responsibility to get engine development finished before the season starts. These current bikes are putting both Suzuki riders in an impossible situation, not to mention a very dangerous one.

Tony
I understand his frustration but the incident with Loris had nothing to do with mechanical breakdown. If you saw him jumping up and down in the gravel trap and throwing handfuls of gravel at Loris I think most would agree he looked like an ugly American. Hopkins has a lot of pent up emotions in regards to his lack of success in MotoGP. He should consider himself fortunate he has a ride in the first place. Mechanical breakdown and poor bike performance should not reflect on his skills as a rider, at least from a reasonable persons standpoint. I think if nothing improves this year then perhaps he should look for another ride, instead of looking like a pissed off baseball manager. Nothing wrong with moving from one circuit to another. I'm sure if he finds a decent ride he will do well, however, I don't think that necessarily holds true all the time. Look at Colin Edwards and Kenny Roberts, who you wouldn't know he won the MotoGP championship in 2000. Talk about a right to kick bikes.

·
Registered
121 Posts
vduc said:
Rossi did choose mediums, front and rear Michelins (I think like all the other Michelin riders). It's what the announcer said and the graphic at the bottom of the screen showed. Capirossi had hards, front and rear, but he was Bridgestones, so you really can't compare.
Thats strange, I thought I remember hearing the announcer say Rossi was racing with hard tires and not mediums ... capiROSSI ... ahh my mistake.
But did anyone see Hayden using just one finger on the brakes. Most of the time he would roll off the throttle and squeeze the brake with two fingers in one motion.
Who else does this on the track? I tried on a few laps but found it extremely difficult. Other GP riders use four fingers? Whats the pros and cons of each?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Good race. I saw a spoiler subject on anothet list that said Vermullen (sp) won and I was wondering what!!! Poor Hopkins, why did he re sign with Suzuki? I am not a Hayden/Honda fan and sure am glad that Rossi got by. We were also rooting for Stoner. Poor Honda, one bike on the podium.

Dave Harhay

·
MultiModerator
1,419 Posts
RoAdK1LL said:
...But did anyone see Hayden using just one finger on the brakes. Most of the time he would roll off the throttle and squeeze the brake with two fingers in one motion.
Who else does this on the track? I tried on a few laps but found it extremely difficult. Other GP riders use four fingers? Whats the pros and cons of each?
A good amount of riders use 2 fingers for braking, especially on the AMA SBK, WSBK, and at the club racing level. Most of the MotoGP shots seemed to be of Rossi and Hayden. Brakes are so strong nowadays 2 fingers are enough for some while still leaving a few fingers to control the throttle. Cons of one or two is if the brake level becomes soft, you might not be able pull the lever all the way back, because your fingers are there. My guess it's all about personal preference and rider "feel" more than one better than the other.

·
Premium Member
1,163 Posts
John said:
I understand his frustration but the incident with Loris had nothing to do with mechanical breakdown. If you saw him jumping up and down in the gravel trap and throwing handfuls of gravel at Loris I think most would agree he looked like an ugly American. Hopkins has a lot of pent up emotions in regards to his lack of success in MotoGP. He should consider himself fortunate he has a ride in the first place. Mechanical breakdown and poor bike performance should not reflect on his skills as a rider, at least from a reasonable persons standpoint. I think if nothing improves this year then perhaps he should look for another ride, instead of looking like a pissed off baseball manager. Nothing wrong with moving from one circuit to another. I'm sure if he finds a decent ride he will do well, however, I don't think that necessarily holds true all the time.
I missed the incident with Loris. Was that in practice? In the race his cooling system blew up after only a few laps. Vermeulen's followed suit a few laps later. I take exactly the opposite view from you. Suzuki is lucky to have Hopkins. Hopkins had many options during the last contract negotiation, but Suzuki made it clear they needed him to stay and offered him a multi-year deal for many, many $$$. So, obviously, he can't look for another ride for a while without facing a lot of legal issues. Now, it is Suzuki's obligation to provide him a bike that he can ride and develop properly without it blowing it's guts out after only a few laps.

Tony

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I like that Hopkin is a competitor and is frustrated when he doesnt win. I would rather see him throwing a tantrum in the gravel than hear him cry about it later. I sure Suzuki loved the press coverage, just what every race team wants on video. Why is it that Suzuki cant put together a GP bike?? maybe they have all their resources in WSB and AMA??
Hopkins best years are passing if he wants to do something he better hurry. Not to mention Im sure his career will be cut short from some of the crashes he has had

1 - 20 of 27 Posts