3 Hayden
4 Pedrosa
5 Gibernua
6 Malandri
7 Elias
8 Roberts JR
9 Tamada
10 Hopkins

All I can say is WOW!!!!!. This race by far was the best GP race of the year, Possibly the best race Ive ever seen. Rossi won with a decent gape at the end but it was with out a doubt hard earned. Capirossi was right there the whole time looking to take the lead away. Gibernua started out strong and actually lead a few laps but couldnt keep the pace. Nicky Hayden sounded a bit dejected about his 3rd place finish. I thought that was a little odd after a race like that 3rd place is a really honor I would think. It wasnt like some of the other races where he has finished 2nd or 3rd and was well out of the fight. Casey Stoner had a BIG off that was really nasty looking on the replay but he walked away ok. Most importantly season points are tight as well. Hayden and Capirossi are tied for 1st. Followed Malandri, Pedrosa, Then Rossi. Everyone is still in it.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
kinda feel a little bad for Sete.. Rossi stuffs it up underneath him twice easily and poor old Sete's fears kick back in. I have no idea how Rossi got his front tyre back, that looked like it was gone for all money. Did you notice the speeds down the straight?? Yam 318.4 Duc 321.5 .. then Melandri comes from nowhere.. 332.8 WTF?? Must have found the nitros button.

+ 25 on the best race of the season.

Casey's crash was terrible on the screen.. I wish they had a different angle to show.

That new old chassis suits Rossi better. I don't remember a race where he has run a soft front tyre in ages.

Well done Caparossi.. I know Valentino and Loris are good friends but they really seem to have enjoyed that dice.

Mal

·
Registered
835 Posts
that was a great race, i knew he would win though, (rossi)... i just don't know if he will win the entire gp this year... i hope so!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Ditto on the best race of the season so far. That was unbelievable!

I would like to feel bad for Sete, I just can't stand him for some reason. I can see what Nicky is feeling a bit down. Always the bride's maid and never the bride! :) Roberts also did alright in 8th. I think that's his best finish this year.

The announcers were talking about different tire profiles. Anyone know what that's about? I don't remeber them mentioning that last year.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Funny thing, was just talking to a mate about the race.. He felt the same about Sete being put off by Rossi.. Then he mentioned Pedrosa.. I don't know why.. I am not fussed on him, maybe he hasn't servied his apprenticeship yet? Maybe he is only happy when his name is above Vales? Maybe he's related to Max?? Don't get me wrong, I have already said I think Stoner has an apprenticeship to serve but he's also riding for a 'privateer' group. We had an interview earlier in the day where he said Honda was concentrating on getting things right for the 800 and not developing much for the current bikes, especially to filter down to smaller teams. What ever he had at testing this year is all they will be getting.

I watch the race at a pub so we don't get sound. Like to hear more about profiles but sometimes it's nice without commentary.

Mal

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
more read on today's GP

excerpt taken from SOUP's link http://www.superbikeplanet.com/2006/Jun/060604a.htm

Ducati ran a special paint job, a tri- colour echo of past glories, to celebrate not one but three anniversaries: the company's 80th birthday, the 60th anniversary of the start of motorcycle production and the 50th of the first use of desmodromics. The Doctor did deliver the first of the wins he needs if he is to retain his title but it was about the hardest race anyone can remember him running. At the flag, 0.75 sec covered the rostrum but that doesn't tell half the story of some of the closest racing we've seen since the inception of MotoGP. Capirossi, motivated beyond reason to win his home GP, said he really enjoyed the race and that the fight with Rossi and Hayden was ?totally correct. It was also ultra close and scary, everything you want a motorcycle race to be.

Early on Rossi had to contend with Gibernau then with an attack from Melandri. Capirossi and, to a slightly lesser extent, Hayden both had to fight through from bad starts. Stoner was also a part of the leading group, battling Melandri for third until he crashed in spectacular fashion at the highest part of the track. Gibernau dropped back when he lost a toe slider and started wearing his toes away on the tarmac, Melandri ran off track while fighting with Hayden, and Pedrosa was always there but never posed a threat to the top three. That left the two Italians and Hayden to sort out the rostrum positions but Rossi would not be denied.

Hayden had no excuses but must have taken some some satisfaction from maintaining his championship lead although he has to share it with Capirossi. The Ducati man soon got over the worst of his disappointment and had an ear-to-ear grin when Rossi hoisted him skywards on the rostrum to the delight of the fans who as usual had invaded the track on a fine collection of transport ranging from a pink moped with no tires on its rims to a full-on 1200 GS BMW. Not to be outdone, Nicky donned one of the red wigs worn by the sponsor's publicity girls. It made for an unusual rostrum photo.

One wonders what F1 driver Michael Schumacher--who was at Mugello--made of it. Not just the innumerable changes of lead on the track as opposed to in the pits but the way that the whole event was played for the benefit of the fans. On his slow down lap Rossi stopped just to look at the section of the crowd where his fan club were assembled: ?I felt the warmth of the crowd during the whole race.' As for the race, he thought that he and Loris, their bikes and their tires were on exactly the same level. 'I was not in a position where I could use strategy, either of us could have won. It was an epic battle.'

Anyway my race pace is quite good so I hope to give my fans a lot of reasons for a party tomorrow night. My new helmet design is by a famous Italian cartoonist called Milo Manara. He has drawn a kind of mythical story of my life, with some of my heroes like Steve McQueen, Enzo Ferrari and Jim Morrison, with other characters like my dog Guido, Osvaldo the chicken and lots of beautiful women! I really like it and Milo is somebody I have admired for a long time."

·
Registered
104 Posts
Ducati Media Report

From my friend in the paddock...
Sete lost the boot slider ..and he start to grind the boots until he start to grind his foot! He back in the garage after the race with a not good looking toe...

Sunday Jun 4 2006
Race - Mugello

CAPIROSSI FINISHES 2ND TO RETAKE SERIES LEAD

Ducati Marlboro Team riders Loris Capirossi and Sete Gibernau played starring roles in today's enthralling Italian Grand Prix, both riders leading to the delight of the Italian fans before finally finishing second and fifth.

Capirossi came back brilliantly from a sluggish start to take the lead on lap 15. From there he fought a thrilling duel with compatriot Valentino Rossi, ending the race just 0.575 seconds down to retake the World Championship lead, though equal on points with third-place finisher Nicky Hayden. During the early stages Gibernau was Rossi's biggest threat, the Spaniard leading on several occasions before the toe-slider on his right boot got damaged. Gibernau slipped back before mounting a spirited comeback, rapidly closing on fourth-place finisher Dani Pedrosa. By the finish he had worn right through the boot and his little toe was bleeding.

Capirossi and Gibernau raced with special livery to celebrate three anniversaries: Ducati's 80th birthday, the 60th anniversary of the company starting motorcycle production and the 50th anniversary of its first use of the desmodromic valve system.

LORIS CAPIROSSI, finished 2nd, 1st overall (99 points)
"My start was so bad and I had chosen quite hard tyres so I was a little bit quiet in the first few laps. When my rhythm came good I started overtaking guys, though it wasn't easy because everyone was going so quick today. The battle with Valentino and Nicky was great, we overtook each other many times but always in a correct manner, it's always so nice to ride with Valentino. I enjoy races like that even if I don't win! To win here at Mugello is the best, but today I'm happy with second. Everyone in the team made a really great job this weekend, so thanks to them all. Bridgestone are coming better and better, we're at a very high level now and I hope we can continue improving. Our season started so well and it continues to go well, now I want more of this!"

SETE GIBERNAU, finished 5th, 9th overall (44 points)
"We had a few moments out there but we had good fun and I enjoyed it a lot, it's been a while since I've been riding to win a race. I led a few laps, it was nice to be up there again and we fought good, so it was perfect. The team did a great job and Bridgestone did a great job too, they gave me a real good bike and tyres, so all credit to the guys, though the bike was a little wobbly on the main straight! When I had the problem with my boot it was difficult to adapt, it took two laps or so to adjust, then I came back. It was just a pity what happened with my boot, but that's racing. I'm starting to enjoy riding again and I'm beginning to really understand how to get the best out of the Ducati."

FEDERICO MINOLI, Ducati Motor Holding CEO and president
"That was a great way to mark the three anniversaries we are celebrating this year. We had a one-two on the grid and we were in the thick of the action for the race win. Loris rode like a lion, making an unbelievable comeback, while Sete showed once again that he's a great rider, without that boot problem he would also have fought for the win. "

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Sete has the worst luck in the world.

It's amazing how Rossi can turn it up a notch late in the race and make it look easy. Then in the news conference afterwards he acts like it was tough.

·
Registered
403 Posts
The special livery was nice! I really liked it. If I had an old beat Ducati that needed repainting, that would be an interesting scheme to use on it.

Dave Harhay

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
1999r1 said:
Sooooo, if Rossi had lost his toe slider, do you think he would have settled for 5th? I doubt it.
I thought Sete spun his tires out again, thats why he dropped back. If you loose your toe slider and expose your toes, I wonder how long it would take on a turn at 120MPH to grind through your toes, a nano second? Sete had a good attitude afterwards, it appears he is getting his bike sorted out, but his luck sucks.

How many of you out there are getting sick of that Nicky Hayden Honda commercial? The one where hes got his mouth open in fly catching screaming style? He must of felt like a complete fool doing that, even for all the money he made doing it.

Great race otherwise, the boys really put the hammer down all the way.

·
Administrator
6,169 Posts
Report on MotoGP is when Sete came into the pits after the race, his little toe was hanging out and bloody.

For you guys that don't like Sete, okay, but how well would you ride with your toes grinding pavement?

Put up or shut up, I say.....

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Maybe next race Sete can get Capirossi, or maybe even Rossi to help him put his boots on (properly)?????

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Rainman said:
Report on MotoGP is when Sete came into the pits after the race, his little toe was hanging out and bloody.

For you guys that don't like Sete, okay, but how well would you ride with your toes grinding pavement?

I'd ride badder.. or badly... then again I already ride badderer. so there I put up...

Now... I still think Sete was spooked again by Rossi after he gazumped him almost at will.

Do I still have to shut up ?? Sir???

Mal

·
Premium Member
8,735 Posts
Those Rossi to Sete demons are gone, created by the fans and media. Sete is a fine racer and every bit as good as anyone else out there, but as I said earlier his luck sucks. I wouldn't put anyone in Rossi's arena, he knows how to be smooth to conserve tires, thats his biggest strength alongwith his racing instincts. I'm gonna miss that guy.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Rainman said:

I read of Mike Hailwood once finishing a race where he'd grounded the flesh off to the bone on his little toe (don't recall which race and if he won that one, most likely).

·
Administrator
6,169 Posts
Yes, but Hailwood was the class of the field.
As is Rossi now.

They are and were known to do super-human things.
Sete still got 5th, and that isn't bad at all.

What would Max Biaggi have done?
Hayden?

I am just saying the guy did well under the circumstances.
He wore the boot down to flesh, and still got his best result of the year.

But he gets no breaks here on this forum.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Biaggi?? He would have gone straight ahead into the sand trap after the first time Rossi went underneath him. Then told everyone the other rider in the team had caused his mechanics to spend all night fixing some minor ticking sound that probably wasn't even there to start with so the other rider could have his bike on the grid this morning...

Hayden would have got up onto the podium with the 3 already there to show off his bloody toe.. then found some way to incorporate it into his next TV ad.

Mal

BTW we don't get Nicky's ad.. we have Casey doing it.. Somehow it lacks the street cred we had when Doohan was doing it !!! hahahaha

1 - 20 of 23 Posts