Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

7,721 Posts
yeah ? That is Mladin logic ..... don't reach higher and you won't fail
Nothing wrong with being a big fish in a small pond. :) Mladin's retired with a winning record and is rich. His strategy worked. :) And besides, BS said Mladin could have/would have won WSBK. He would know. He beat him but needed a lot more effort than when he beat the entire WSBK field in his first year. Oh, that was the year when a Ducati-mounted Haga tossed an 80 point lead into the bin. :eek: Never mind. :) Too bad about BS's MotoGP record. :(

He'll have better reasons for not winning on the Ducati. :)

· Registered
351 Posts
He's remembered as the great high school player who never made it to college let alone the bigs, as for what he may or may not have done on the world stage that is a moot point he never grew the balls to try.
Are you forgetting his time on the Cagiva 2 stroke GP bike, or were you just not aware of it?

· Premium Member
1,129 Posts
I'm just not ready to toss Spies into the "one hit wonder" box. His three years in the show have been descending ones with his rookie year with Tech 3 being (IMO) his most memorable. I think it's more a case of his dissolution with the direction Motogp's heading (just like Casey) and more specifically with the Factory Yamaha organization. I don't see him throwing away the very thing he's made no bones about wanting for some time, a factory Motogp ride, without some pretty serious behind-the-scene drama. There's no "rising to the level of incompetence" or depression at work here, rather we're seeing into the face of a kid who just learned that Santa Clause is just a myth. Besides, considering where Motogp's heading he'll end up on a Superbike regardless of which direction he takes.

· Premium Member
2007 Ducati Monster S4RS | 2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650
2,936 Posts
Some perspective . Mladin won his first national championship in Australia in 1981 on the dirt (flat track). He followed that up with 3 motocross championships in a single year. His switch to road-racing marked him as a phenom since he began winning almost immediately taking the Australian 250 Production championship in 1991 and followed that up with the Australian Superbike championship the very next year on a Team Kawasaki Australia ZXR750. The following year he was a factory 500GP racer. Just pause for a second to absorb all that. Imagine you started road-racing this year and in 2011 you had a MotoGP ride racing with Valentino Rossi and company? I know, it’s almost inconceivable. For young, inexperienced Mladin the pressure of trying to race at the pinnacle of 2 wheeled sport on the global stage on the less than ideal Cagiva proved difficult.

from Mat Mladin Announces his Retirement from Racing | Ducati News Today

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.