Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
871 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tried watching the race today, is it me or is it just not the same when Ducati can't compete. With Stoner out and Hayden in his usual position, it's just uninspiring.

Wait, Lorenzo just crashed out trying to pass Rossi, maybe I spoke to soon :D

·
Registered
557 Posts
Tried watching the race today, is it me or is it just not the same when Ducati can't compete. With Stoner out and Hayden in his usual position, it's just uninspiring.

yeah, that really made it more interesting...that was the biggest gap between first and second in the dry in motogp history. and since when is hayden finishing in 6th "the usual"? His usual was above 11th during the first half of the season.

·
Demotivational Member
1,603 Posts

I thought it was a great race until Lorenzo went down. There was some serious racing going on further back in the pack too, just ask Malandri.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Initially I felt the same , that it might be boring , but seeing Hayden get 6th I thought was fantastic, who knows maybe he'll peak at Indy next week :rolleyes:

Rossi was amazingly quick and put so much pressure on Lorenzo , he crashed ..again, I think this is the second or third time he has made a forced error.

And then watching Kallio hug Melandri's back tire was funny , luckily neither of them got hurt...coulda been much worse.

·
Premium Member
8,730 Posts
The Yamaha has been steadily improving performance wise while the Ducati remains stagnant. Wasn't long ago no one could touch the GP9 on the straights, not anymore. Seems like Yamaha gets faster and faster while the Duc is falling back, even the Honda is improving too. But Nicky's performance has been steadily improving too, however, I don't think he can reach his full potential because frankly the Duc has lost a step or two. Where are the Ducati engineers, oh, I forgot its August and they are on vacation all month.

Instead of thinking about switching riders they should fix the bike first.

·
9,757 Posts

·
7,733 Posts
If you're a racing fan you're a racing fan, no matter what the brand names are on the track
There's a reason Rossi is paid as much as the rest of the riders combined. To sell Yamaha bikes. I only follow racing closely if the manufacturer I support has an entry, and is doing well. The better Ducati does, the more I follow racing. I follow the team, not the rider, who can switch teams at any time. Quite frankly, though I'm glad for Rossi, and agree he's probably going to be the most notable rider in history at the end of this career, he rides for Japanese teams, so I'm not as big a fan as I could be. Get him on a Ducati, and you've got my undivided attention.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Initially I felt the same , that it might be boring , but seeing Hayden get 6th I thought was fantastic, who knows maybe he'll peak at Indy next week :rolleyes:

Rossi was amazingly quick and put so much pressure on Lorenzo , he crashed ..again, I think this is the second or third time he has made a forced error.

And then watching Kallio hug Melandri's back tire was funny , luckily neither of them got hurt...coulda been much worse.
Was kinda funny because looking at the video I totally thought it was Kallio's fault that they crashed, but when they got up Kallio started pushing and screaming at Melandri like some little 5 year old lol! Melandri was probably like "wtf dude you ran into me"

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
There's a reason Rossi is paid as much as the rest of the riders combined. To sell Yamaha bikes. I only follow racing closely if the manufacturer I support has an entry, and is doing well. The better Ducati does, the more I follow racing. I follow the team, not the rider, who can switch teams at any time. Quite frankly, though I'm glad for Rossi, and agree he's probably going to be the most notable rider in history at the end of this career, he rides for Japanese teams, so I'm not as big a fan as I could be. Get him on a Ducati, and you've got my undivided attention.
You should just watch commercials then. That way you will always see your favorite marque out front and never be dissapointed.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
There's nothing wrong with the bike. They just didn't have the teams structured properly.

Nothing ever remains stagnant in MotoGP. Remember how slow the Hondas were untill a few races ago? Then bam, new parts from the factory and it's back on podium. IMO it's only a matter of time before the Duc is in front again.
The biggest problem with the bike has been its inconsistency with set-up, i.e. sometimes it is very sensitive to changes sometimes it is completely insensitive to big changes. I thiink they (Ducati) have recognized this and have slowly been working on this (i.e. testing with other riders like Bayliss) to try and get a more consistent platform. This year has really made it worse because there is less testing and less practice time making the window of optimization much narrower. Fortunately the single tire rule has helped by limiting the number of choices, but Ducati really needs to be able to arrive at the next track with a bike that is similar to the bike they left the previous race with. It looks as though they are starting to get it and will probably be much better by the end of the year,but I wouldn't expect Ducati to move up at all in the mnufacturer's standings this year.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was a racing fan long before - and after - I was a Ducati owner.
+1. I personally don't cheer for the bike since the bike itself has no passion for winning. I cheer for the rider and I personally don't care for Hayden or Stoner, so I couldn't care less if they're racing or not.

·
Registered
278 Posts
You should just watch commercials then. That way you will always see your favorite marque out front and never be dissapointed.
+1

I love moto gp racing period. I love to watch talented riders whether its rossi or stoner or anyone else do unbleviable acts that we could only dream of doing on a track no matter how hard we try. I do like to seeing ducati up front being a ducati owner, but I basically couldnt give a rats ass if they were not. I used to love watching doohan, and shwantz won years ago, I remmeber them more than the bike or team they rode for.

·
Premium Member
8,730 Posts
Actually, I found the race not so boring... Lorenzo crashing brought up enough talking that we missed the ending! :rolleyes:

I was kinda shocked Mika didn't do anything... and hayden was still 2 seconds off he pace. :rolleyes:
But Hayden passed Edwards. I still say its not the riders its the damn bike. Doesn't help the Yamaha is superior at all levels now, Honda second. What is it about the Ducati that makes it so sensitive to changes? The nuts and bolts of all racing bikes are in theory the same. I would say start with the frame, throw away that carbon fiber POS and go back to a light alloy. I don't know if any of this will help the Ducati down the straights, they have lost a step there as well. They may be as fast as they used to be, but the Yamaha and Honda engineers found more top end speed, thus making the Ducati slower.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts