Sophomore Member
2,964 Posts
That’s how you know it’s a Ducati!

Only one of my Ducs has caught fire. I think the other 2 are fakes

Reactions: Aguiar

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,072 Posts
Remember the instructor at Tally razzing us about Ducati’s catching fire. Lol! :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Sophomore Member
2,964 Posts
🤣🤣🤣 He owns Ducati’s, so he is speaking from experience. The R/R burned up on my 900 on the previous owner. The frame still shows burn marks on the finish.

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
Well, how did everyone “enjoy” RoadAmerica ? 🤬🤮

·
Registered
388 Posts
Well, how did everyone “enjoy” RoadAmerica ? 🤬🤮
It was awesome. I hope I didn't catch anything while I was waiting line for beer and nachos. I rode the bike in or otherwise I would have brought my own.

I really enjoyed watching the kids race those little Ohvale bikes in the mini cup on the kart track after the main races. I can post some video if anyone wants to see it.

·
Premium Member
1997 748 Mono
62 Posts
It was awesome. I hope I didn't catch anything while I was waiting line for beer and nachos. I rode the bike in or otherwise I would have brought my own.

I really enjoyed watching the kids race those little Ohvale bikes in the mini cup on the kart track after the main races. I can post some video if anyone wants to see it.
I'd love to see some video. They showed a bit of it on the broadcast I think but just a flash.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I'd love to see some video. They showed a bit of it on the broadcast I think but just a flash.

There were some proud parents that day. Or at least some dads walking around and saying "my kid drags elbow, does yours?" :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Road America is a fantastic place to camp and enjoy races. I was there a few years ago for the vintage bikes and camped at the Carousel. Great place. I hope to go back after the pandemic.

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
What is your opinion about the results of the race with the weighted Ducati ?
Are you satisfied that things are back on an even keel now , penalty fair and justified ?
it appears they got what they wanted, Japanese bikes on the podium.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,072 Posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
5,177 Posts
NACHOS? WTF?!!?

·
Registered
388 Posts
NACHOS? WTF?!!?
Don't make me fight you.

I only got to go one day and it was Saturday. Was kinda surprised PJ only finished 9th. I mean could the added weight do that much? The weight addition was a knee jerk action, maybe next round they should have another knee jerk reaction and take it back off.

Yeah... heard enough of the Ducati fire jokes now.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Don't make me fight you.
View attachment 988655

I only got to go one day and it was Saturday. Was kinda surprised PJ only finished 9th. I mean could the added weight do that much? The weight addition was a knee jerk action, maybe next round they should have another knee jerk reaction and take it back off.

Yeah... heard enough of the Ducati fire jokes now.
He finished 9th in the Superbike race running on 1000 spec bike (that's with the extra weight). I think he was first in class at 9th place. This is how he can compete in Superbike Cup as well as the 1000 class.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Celtic HSBK Racing’s Official Response to Minimum Weight of Ducati V4R in Stock 1000

Mladin won the AMA title 7 times with more wins and poles than any other rider in the history of the series.
Carmichael once won all 48 motos in a season.
McGrath won 7 out of 8 years in the Supercross Championship.

Every sport has had a Mladin, a Carmichael, an athlete that was better and when he got on a better piece of equipment that suited his strengths, he truly shined. Penalizing greatness is contrary to why we show up to race in any motorsport championship. To penalize an athlete, to penalize a brand, to penalize a design for having made an impeccable product is beyond comprehension. With Road America’s long straights, sweeping corners, 4 miles of track and an uphill finish the Ducati is at its best.

At the start of every race season both team principals of Celtic HSBK Racing sit down with their attorney’s and analyze the rule book, the classes, the riders competing and build a business model to give their sponsors the biggest bang for their buck possible. We are 100% funded through our sponsors. We do not receive any funding from manufacturers and work extremely hard to get sponsor buy-in for the packages and team we build.

Based on the rule book we decided that PJ Jacobsen on a Ducati in the Superbike Cup would be the best way for our team to provide value to our sponsors. Both rider and machine are well suited to the Stock 1000 class and would get additional media coverage in the Superbike races. PJ Jacobsen meets all rider criteria for the class and despite grumblings otherwise, we did not have to appeal to MotoAmerica to grant him entrance. As many of our fans know, last year he had a successful 600 season and we knew he was ready to make a step up. He had attempted to race a 1000 in a previous season, but unfortunately it wasn’t yet his time to shine in that class.

Our ultimate goal is for PJ to follow the path Jake Gagne, Josh Herrin, and Mathew Scholtz have taken in MotoAmerica and graduate from Stock 1000 to Superbike. In 2015 when MotoAmerica took over from DMG and introduced the Stock 1000 class, HSBK Racing fielded the Aprilia RSV4 with a plan to do much the same. The team had numerous second place finishes crossing the line nearly 25 seconds after first place. There was no balancing of the bikes to close the gap.

We acknowledge that MotoAmerica has the prerogative to balance the bikes. We do however ask that they define the exact issue they hope to solve with these 22 pounds and future measures. We have already seen the goal post move once. If we spend a month testing the safety of adding copious amounts of weight to a compact machine, we cannot afford to have the goal posts move again. Adding nearly 20% of the riders weight to a meticulously engineered bike is one thing, but when will it stop if he continues to shine in the Stock 1000 class?

Our understanding is that this type of decision is typically based on engineering algorithms and data from multiple tracks. We have not seen this information yet. We have not seen or heard what 22 pounds will do to the bike definitively. Not at a big power track and certainly not at a tight track where handling will likely be greatly impacted. We have not heard an engineer say that these changes will accomplish x, y, z to level the field and that it will not compromise the safety of the rider. Without that are we just addressing the best bike out of the crate with the best rider?

We are not in this sport to promote mediocrity. It is our understanding that this series lives on to promote excellence in American RoadRacing. We have seen a shift of manufacturers stepping out of the sport. If we want more factory support in our paddock, we can’t disincentivize manufacturers from building the stock bikes that customers want. If we want them to promote their brand through our sporting body, we can’t penalize their machinery that follows the rules. We can’t penalize them when the right privateer and the right rider come together.

The team will be filing an official appeal to this decision.
I say Bravo, HSBK! I'd imagine that you're going to have quite a bit of support. I don't understand penalizing a winning performance. That is what we are trying to do when we go racing.

We did quite a bit of research on track bikes before deciding which one I'd buy for next year (and many more I hope!) I bought the Ducati V4 R. I bought it because of its "package". If you have a great handling machine, but a bit short on power, how does that work when you are a track that is known for its long straightaways? When you're at a "riders track" that is known for its many corners. Ducati designed a bunch of components and focused on how well they work together as a whole. It's weight is good, but it's not the lightest. Does the engine develop lots of horsepower, but how well does it corner?

Did MA examine BMW's HP4? They say the HP4 weighs 368 pounds, which is a bit less than our 379 pounds (my figures are dry weight). How many pounds do they have to add? The HP4 is a mighty nice machine. It's light and powerful and handles really well. How about Yamaha or Kawasaki? Hopefully, MA will have these and similar issues included in their processes for developing rules and policy.

When things start heading in the same direction as ours is, I think that one of the most important areas that MA needs to address is communication. A clear message is incredibly important for the results you're trying to obtain. Another equally important area is data. There must be data that supports the change or addition to a rule needs to be supported. There is no substitute for the data. I'm looking forward to seeing how this issue and HSBK and MA works things out and, very importantly, how it is worked out.

Best wishes to all!

81 - 98 of 98 Posts