Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a chain breaker/press and was wondering if anyone ahs any tips on using the tool. This is the first time changing the chain and don't want to screw up the new bits.

Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Grind the rivets off the old chain master link first instead of trying to force it out, as it'll be a PITA and you'll likely break the pin. The only other tip is to not be surprised how much force you'll have to use to actually spread the rivets on the new master link. I thought the thing was going to break when I did it, but it barely made a difference.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ditto...use a dremmel and grind the the links flush (or slightly below) with the master link outter plate. Other than that, just pay attention when compressing the new links so as not to over compress causing the chain to bind.

·
Chilehead
6,982 Posts
I have one, no grinding needed.

I broke a tip once, but because I wasn't using it correctly.

I bought a couple spare tips, just in case.

And yes, the riviting takes some force.

Tom

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
which one is the 'master' link?? I was under the impression you just picked any of the outer links and grind away.

If you are going to the effort of grinding the pins you may as well then drift the link out with a punch. I'd only seen the breaker used straight on the chain.

Mal

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I've used mine on 520, 525, and 530 chains and have never ground down the pins....I've also never broken a tip.....yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts