Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I just purchased a 2014 Hypermotard SP. I'm wondering for those of you that have ridden both the SP and the Strada, which seat is more comfortable? I haven't found much in the way of people comparing both, only people saying they like or don't like one without comparing it to the other. I also found a Corbin seat so perhaps if someone has ridden on that too compared to the others, I would appreciate the feedback.

I found someone selling a stock Strada seat for 1/2 price and would like to snag it before it's gone if people think it's better that have ridden on both.

Thanks ahead of time for the info!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I ride an SP. In my experience, the stock seat doesn't let you move back toward the tail very easily. Your butt is kinda stuck in a bowl. I'm happy I switched to the Ducati Performance seat. You can take any position you want, and the seating surface is grippier (a synthetic suede, I think) than the stock seat cover material.

·
Premium Member
198 Posts
I recently sold a Strada and bought a SP. The Strada seat is more comfortable than the SP seat, but the SP is not too bad.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ride an SP. In my experience, the stock seat doesn't let you move back toward the tail very easily. Your butt is kinda stuck in a bowl. I'm happy I switched to the Ducati Performance seat. You can take any position you want, and the seating surface is grippier (a synthetic suede, I think) than the stock seat cover material.
Do you have a link to the performance seat? I'm not seeing it on the Ducati accessories web page. Thanks for the assistance. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I recently sold a Strada and bought a SP. The Strada seat is more comfortable than the SP seat, but the SP is not too bad.
Thanks for the info. How are you liking the SP vs the Strada? I test rode a Strada and really enjoyed it but came across s SP from a private party costing the same as all the dealers were selling a Strada for. Only downside to not getting the Strada is it doesn't have the bags, windscreen, and touring seat.

Someone in my area (sort of) is selling a touring seat for $175 that was only on the bike for a week and I'm considering getting it. Much cheaper than buying a new touring seat from the dealer for $317!

·
Registered
166 Posts
I had a 821, now a 939 SP. Both these seats (OEM) are quite similar to me. I mean, on the very first days they also do brake in you sit mostly into one position however, because of them being regular height (less flat) you don't feel the edges of the bike (where seat meets frame) that much.

Now for my SP I bought the "journey" seat, that is lower on the rider's seat so it is flatter. You do feel more the edges I mention above as you could expect being closer to the bike. Still don't know how will it pan up in the coming months so far first impressions is that it is comfortable, then after an hour or so you start to feel your butt a bit stiff. So it could last one tank and being ok.
This seat has even more padded passenger seat.

All these seats have a reclined profile so again they set you in the same position and after a while could be a not great as you feel your pants get too tight as they pull your goodies back (tried to explain).
That last has been familiar with many Ducati bikes I've had before, somehow they make them to be ridden in a specific way including the seating be Monsters, Diavels, even Multistradas, not all would let you move around!

For race track I do agree that moving has its advantages.

So in summary, I think the OEM is comfortable enough after braking it in. If you are shorter like me 1.70m, then of course the lower seat is a great option it just makes things easier. I don't have issues with neither and the fact that I don't put both feet down (need to choose side).

I think weight is also a consideration I am 80 kg. Certainly the padding will give up depending on this.

Corbin? I looked at it plus the reviews people say they are hard yet I assume it would break in or? Their seat for the Hyper looks good and seems flatter and wider on the main seating part yet not higher than OEM. Maybe one day someone will do a review.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Thanks for the info. How are you liking the SP vs the Strada? I test rode a Strada and really enjoyed it but came across s SP from a private party costing the same as all the dealers were selling a Strada for. Only downside to not getting the Strada is it doesn't have the bags, windscreen, and touring seat.

Someone in my area (sort of) is selling a touring seat for $175 that was only on the bike for a week and I'm considering getting it. Much cheaper than buying a new touring seat from the dealer for $317!
For 317$ I would take the calculated "risk" of buying a Corbin seat instead. I don't know them and I assume a seat from new would need some breaking in so it would be initially hard but prospects are that it should be more comfortable in the long term.

Now how much padding can the Hyper realistically have? so it can be comfortable, that is another question.

Haven't ridden the strada but IMO it is not a hypermotard anymore, and SP's can be attached with screen, saddle bags and be more bikes. Plus you do have fully adjustable suspension which you can adjust to suit your riding.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Corbin seats are typically very firm, which - along with the width of support - is the basis for their long distance comfort.

The one I have on my KLR650 is probably the most comfortable log distance seat I've owned. However, for shorter distances, the stocker feels much plusher.

I've also got one on my Speed Triple, which I bought used (mainly for the appearance). This one's also firm, but I haven't done enough long distance riding on that bike to be objective about its comfort.

From the looks of its appearance on their website, the Corbin Hyper seat would more than likely be the most comfortable option for long distance riding. However, if track days/hanging off the bike a lot is more representative of the riding you do, its dished profile would probably be a hindrance.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Came here to say this. It should be noted that the racing seat is also a bit taller so if you're struggling to get a foot down on the SP, the race seat will only exaggerate the problem.

Reactions: Hieper

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Came here to say this. It should be noted that the racing seat is also a bit taller so if you're struggling to get a foot down on the SP, the race seat will only exaggerate the problem.
Is the racing seat the same as the performance seat that was mentioned? I'm guessing the racing seat isn't the same as the stock SP seat.

Thanks for the info. :)

I'm 6'1" (186cm) and 170lbs (77kg) for reference.

I'm leaning towards trying to get the Strada seat that's on Craigslist for 1/2 price and swapping between it and the SP seat if I end up going to the track. I haven't ridden my SP yet since buying it 2 days ago, but probably will in a day or two after I get insurance. Then I'll be able to try the SP seat myself finally. :) When I sit on it I do notice it grabs my jibblies and puts me in a specific spot on the seat. ;)

·
Registered
982 Posts
Is the racing seat the same as the performance seat that was mentioned? I'm guessing the racing seat isn't the same as the stock SP seat.

Thanks for the info. :)

I'm 6'1" (186cm) and 170lbs (77kg) for reference.

I'm leaning towards trying to get the Strada seat that's on Craigslist for 1/2 price and swapping between it and the SP seat if I end up going to the track. I haven't ridden my SP yet since buying it 2 days ago, but probably will in a day or two after I get insurance. Then I'll be able to try the SP seat myself finally. :) When I sit on it I do notice it grabs my jibblies and puts me in a specific spot on the seat. ;)
This is the racing seat: MotoCorsa.com Online Store - MotoCorsa.com

Height isn't so much this issue as your inseam. I have a 33"ish inseam and I can just get both balls of my feet down. If you have a longer inseam than me, you'll be good with the racing seat. If not, well ... :frown2:

As for getting your cash and prizes smooshed into the tank, the racing seat certainly helps with it. Moreover, you could slap on a set of clear StompGrips and use those to better grip the sides of the tank under hard braking. It's what I did for SP and it's great.

Like so:

[Shameless plug] If you're gearing up for the track, I have some gear that might fit you... check the Classifieds.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This is the racing seat: MotoCorsa.com Online Store - MotoCorsa.com

Height isn't so much this issue as your inseam. I have a 33"ish inseam and I can just get both balls of my feet down. If you have a longer inseam than me, you'll be good with the racing seat. If not, well ... :frown2:

As for getting your cash and prizes smooshed into the tank, the racing seat certainly helps with it. Moreover, you could slap on a set of clear StompGrips and use those to better grip the sides of the tank under hard braking. It's what I did for SP and it's great.

Like so:

[Shameless plug] If you're gearing up for the track, I have some gear that might fit you... check the Classifieds.
Cool thanks for the info. My inseam is 32" if I remember correctly. I see you're in my area. I work in NW downtown only a few blocks from Motocorsa. :)

·
Registered
982 Posts
Cool thanks for the info. My inseam is 32" if I remember correctly. I see you're in my area. I work in NW downtown only a few blocks from Motocorsa. :)
Great people over at MotoCorsa. I'd wager they have a race seat in stock. Call up Marc or Miles. Likewise, if you're really anxious to see how the seat works, I could certainly meet you over there. I need to swing in tomorrow to the shop.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great people over at MotoCorsa. I'd wager they have a race seat in stock. Call up Marc or Miles. Likewise, if you're really anxious to see how the seat works, I could certainly meet you over there. I need to swing in tomorrow to the shop.
What time were you thinking of going there? I'll see if I can stop by when you you think you'll be there.

·
Registered
982 Posts

·
Premium Member
198 Posts

So far I'm enjoying the SP a lot more than I did the Strada. I didn't use the bags very often so i don't miss those but a mini windshield would be nice on the highway.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Hi everyone. I just purchased a 2014 Hypermotard SP. I'm wondering for those of you that have ridden both the SP and the Strada, which seat is more comfortable? I haven't found much in the way of people comparing both, only people saying they like or don't like one without comparing it to the other. I also found a Corbin seat so perhaps if someone has ridden on that too compared to the others, I would appreciate the feedback.

I found someone selling a stock Strada seat for 1/2 price and would like to snag it before it's gone if people think it's better that have ridden on both.

Thanks ahead of time for the info!
I have an SP and to my surprise when I got it back from my duc dealer after winter storage it had a Hyperstrata seat on it. The dealer also stuck me with the seat. They denied swapping it out.

The HS seat is much more comfortable then the SP seat and it is lower. Makes the bike easier to handle in the city. The finish is also much nicer.

It has a bigger lip at the back so it locks you in place more then the SP seat. If your main mission is twisties then stay with the SP. If you ride urban and touring then the seat swap should be nice.

I ended up getting the performance seat. It is flat like a motard seat and is even taller then the SP seat. I am on my toes now at stop lights. It alows for better movement side to side for getting your but off the edge. It is also harder and not so comfortable, but I love it. I may sell the HS seat or keep it for long trips. Not sure yet.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I went to Motocorsa today to talk to them about parts and the parts guy said just bring your bike in and they would swap all the seats on and I could ride on them so I could decide which I want. I think I'll do that and it's pretty cool of them. Hopefully they don't mysteriously misplace my SP seat and tell my I had a strada seat all along like JGA. ;)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts