Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

Which pass will be remembered in 20 years time?

• Rossi v Stoner Laguna Corkscrew 2008

Votes: 11 84.6%
  • Stoner v Lorenzo Turn 1 Laguna 2011

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • I've forgotten already

Votes: 1 7.7%
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Simple question. In the future, which of these two passes will be most remembered and talked about?

Rossi taking Stoner in the corkscrew at Laguna in 2008

or

Stoner passing Lorenzo in turn 1 at Laguna 2011

·
I WON Mrs Cupcakes ;)
2,958 Posts
hmmm i suspect it will be the 2008 laguna seca race. Not only was it exciting and some controversy at the time , but fans of MotoGP will debate till the end of time whether the better rider or better bike won on that day ?

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,524 Posts
Thing is Stoner didn't leave the race track on any of his passes and if he had he would have been punished under the rules of racing.

·
Premium Member
923 Posts
For mine both are heart in mouth tussles ,,,, but my vote goes to Luguna Seca ,,,, because Stoner on Lorenzo was "only" a one pass manouver, whereas the Rossi / Stoner was a much longer tussle, with multiple pass/re-pass.

Maybe it could have been a 3 choice vote ,,,,,
What about Rossi vs Lorenzo at the 2009 Catalunya Grand Prix ?

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hmmm i suspect it will be the 2008 laguna seca race. Not only was it exciting and some controversy at the time , but fans of MotoGP will debate till the end of time whether the better rider or better bike won on that day ?
Do you think that debate might sound anything like the one that is and always will be had about Stoner's championship in 2007 being partly because of the ultra fast Duc and Bridgestone tyres, or Stoner's championship in 2011 where Honda were determined to spend whatever it took to get themselves a championship?

:think:

·
I WON Mrs Cupcakes ;)
2,958 Posts
Do you think that debate might sound anything like the one that is and always will be had about Stoner's championship in 2007 being partly because of the ultra fast Duc and Bridgestone tyres, or Stoner's championship in 2011 where Honda were determined to spend whatever it took to get themselves a championship?
sorry , i mistook your post as asking for an opinion on what would be more remembered .. my mistake was clearly giving a reason why i thought as much .... :think:

·
Premium Member
6,921 Posts
We are going to miss this next year

I think only Garry Mc Coy was a better drifter

Craig

·
Registered
2,501 Posts

:think:
Why not add Rossi on the factory Repsol Honda back in '02 and '03 to that list. That was "The Best" bike in the field of that era period. Rossi got on it and dominated those years with a total of 20 wins. Stoner on his Honda is just doing the same. Only difference is give Rossi and not so great bike like that Ducati and he falls short on his race wins and dominance. ;)

I like Rossi, but I cannot look at him the same after his Ducati years. He lost his God Like appeal for sure.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
sorry , i mistook your post as asking for an opinion on what would be more remembered .. my mistake was clearly giving a reason why i thought as much .... :think:
Don't have a sook Wombat, your opinion gets the same air time as everyone elses.

You do realise there are different points of view in the world don't you?

I propose that about 1% of the futures racing enthusiasts will ever be debating Rossi's 2008 Laguna win being due to riding a superior machine. It is recorded as the race that he got the better of Stoner psychologically for the rest of that season.

At the time the Ducati appeared to be the faster bike and Rossi had to ride the wheels off the Yamaha in the corners to keep him in sight.

I'm not saying this to upset you or the other Stoner fans, but this is how most remember the event and this is how history will record it regardless of your opinion or deeply held beliefs.

After all, history is written by the victors. It's the way the world has always been. :D

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Why not add Rossi on the factory Repsol Honda back in '02 and '03 to that list. That was "The Best" bike in the field of that era period. Rossi got on it and dominated those years with a total of 20 wins. Stoner on his Honda is just doing the same. Only difference is give Rossi and not so great bike like that Ducati and he falls short on his race wins and dominance. ;)

I like Rossi, but I cannot look at him the same after his Ducati years. He lost his God Like appeal for sure.
OK, let's explore that thought. We'll subtract 2 seasons, that leaves us with 7world championships, 5 in the premier class.

People are very quick to forget that the Ducati Rossi is riding now is a completely different beast to the 07 bike. It's commonly acknowledged that Ducati arsed it that year and got extremely lucky in creating a great package with the bike and tyres.

This is a widely known fact, take notice that this is not in any way demeaning Stoner. The kid can ride.

Did you have the same negative view of Stoner in the rest of his Ducati years without a championship or do you feel that Rossi was such a legendary rider you had higher expectations of him?

·
Registered
748 Posts

Seriously, how can you 'Rossi worshippers' see this guy as someone to admire. He's an absolute idiot.

·
I WON Mrs Cupcakes ;)
2,958 Posts
i just think its funny that you have managed to hijack your own thread.

Your OP was a worthwhile distraction to all the Rossi bashing lately but you just couldnt help yourself

:D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts