Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not dragging a peg , but I do make the most out of a corner when a good one comes along. I'm more interested in a long lasting tire these days,....and even wondering if a Dual sport tire like the Metzeler Tourance might be a possibility, as I occasionally find myself on a hard pack dirt or gravel road.

Brian in Austin/Cedar Park

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
For sheer durability without also being a crap tyre in other areas, probably the Pirelli Angel ST

·
Registered
470 Posts
Surely it depends on what road surface you ride on, where I come from new tarmac is only left for a year or two before it is sprayed with wet tar and stone chips to improve durability and traction, but the surface is rough and chews tyres. The chips are sharp and I get lots of road noise especially noticeable in the car.
I'm running Michelin pilot road 3 rear which is dual compound, but has only lasted 3k miles and is nearly worn out in the centre because of the rough road surface here.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Pirelli Scorpion may be a good choice if it's still mainly street ?

SCORPION TRAIL , Motorcycle Tyres - PIRELLI INTERNATIONAL

For sheer durability without also being a crap tyre in other areas, probably the Pirelli Angel ST
There are two versions of the Angel in 180/55-17. There is an "E" version which I believe has stiffer sidewalls made for heavier bikes. It seemed to have less grip than the std one, but it did last longer too. Good performance in wet weather on both versions.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Going to a Tourance or other ds tire would be silly on an ST, IMO. You compromise it's performance on pavement, which it is at home with.

Train up on gravel and dirt technique, a few miles of dry hardpack or even loose gravel are entirely do-able on capable street tires, but even if you don't throw sparks in the corners, you may need help from those tires on the road one day.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Well, the Sorpions are what come oem on the Multistrada

·
Registered
173 Posts
Well, the Sorpions are what come oem on the Multistrada
Yeah, But:

Multistrada on the WABDR - Page 2 - ADVrider

They may not be durable. :D [ Really, I'm just blowing smoke here, new tire types and new bikes constantly amaze me. Tires that were available when I started riding may as well been carved from wood compared to modern ones. ] Trying to avoid some honey-do jobs on a sunday....

·
Registered
58 Posts
Check out the Bridgestone BT023's I got 10 k on the rear (still has another k to go) and 15 on the front. Dual compound and great in the twisties. I'm ordering another set when I get done here!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hello

I put a Michelin Pilot Road rear on when I had a flat in the off-season and had no tires in my stash.
After 5,000 miles the tire looked like new. It also handled as though it were made from wood. I bet I could have gotten 15,000 miles off that POS if I could have remained upright that long.
If pure durability is what you're seeking, get your hands on a set of these jewels.

JMHO...

·
Registered
33 Posts
After my Scorpions were worn (good sport, poor center longevity on straight-up tarmac) I went with Avon Storms on my MTS1200.
Great mix of longevity and wet and sport. Meh ... on dirt.
--cheers!

If Motorcycle Is On Trailer
It Is Being Stolen

1 - 10 of 10 Posts