Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discovered a new MOSFET R/R for our bikes.
I asked them to make the Cables specifically for our bikes and it fit better then the stock or other aftermarket R/R.

One of the issues is poor connections that can arc and burn the wires. Especially the three yellow
This kit comes Comes with bike side connectors to assure good connection and a little pack of dielectric grease. Not mandatory to convert but it will assure a better connection.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Advantages?

What's the advantage(s) of a mosfet R/R? Does it run cooler? Should it still be relocated below seat tray in open air?

·
Registered
300 Posts
I've never had one go out on me before, granted the Monster 900 one is out in the open from the factory, so I guess I had never worried about it.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Runs cooler with no need to relocate it :)
I believe that it's not that the R/R runs cooler necessarily but that JC's improvements could be more durable in terms of wiring and connections (thus better construction?). Hypothetically, the heated R/R plus poorer OEM wiring is susceptible to burning of the wires at the point of connection (if I recall correctly from the photos and my own OEM R/R, wire casing turning brown, see past posts, lots of threads on this occurrence). I still think if you relocate elsewhere (ex. under the seat pan) it is even better. I do recall that this can happen and while some may get away with it just fine, something 50% or more will experience the failure, which shows up gradually as the bike will not start or sputter out or strangely at stop light begin to rev higher and as you get going, you have throttle it as it herky jerky to go. IMO, for $160, it's nominal fee for security of mind (vs. unable to start and get it towed).

·
Registered
167 Posts
I believe that it's not that the R/R runs cooler necessarily but that JC's improvements could be more durable in terms of wiring and connections (thus better construction?). Hypothetically, the heated R/R plus poorer OEM wiring is susceptible to burning of the wires at the point of connection (if I recall correctly from the photos and my own OEM R/R, wire casing turning brown, see past posts, lots of threads on this occurrence). I still think if you relocate elsewhere (ex. under the seat pan) it is even better. I do recall that this can happen and while some may get away with it just fine, something 50% or more will experience the failure, which shows up gradually as the bike will not start or sputter out or strangely at stop light begin to rev higher and as you get going, you have throttle it as it herky jerky to go. IMO, for $160, it's nominal fee for security of mind (vs. unable to start and get it towed).
The failures are two fold. One at the connectors and one at the actual rectifier/regulator from overheating. MOSFET rectifier/regulator's do run cooler because they use newer technology that is more efficient. Thus you do not have to relocate if you do not want to. Try touching the old style R/R you will burn yourself. MOSFET R/R however do get very warm but not nearly as hot as the old style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEr6xSGLC48

As for the connectors; JCPakBikes replacement has the MOSFET R/R (that fits better it looks like) and connectors to make it easy. Other aftermarket MOSFET R/R's require modification to make them fit. Example I had to carve out my storage area on my Monster seat for mine to fit.

The other way to eliminate the connector problem is to hard wire the R/R to the bike. Some people don't have the means of doing this however.

·
Registered
267 Posts
What's the advantage(s) of a mosfet R/R? Does it run cooler? Should it still be relocated below seat tray in open air?
There are several advantages of the MOSFET R/R.

1. They run MUCH cooler than traditional diode shunt type, they will barely get warm to the touch

2. They also have far better voltage regulation and typically offer better charging at lower rpm. Many also will charge at a higher voltage (14.1-14.3v) which works better for LiFe batteries.

3. They are also a little easier on the stator.

I have converted 3 bikes to MOSFET and found #1 & 2 to be true in each case. I can't judge yet if the stators will last longer, but others have shown that to be true on bikes with troublesome stators.

I converted my SC from diode shunt to MOSFET R/R. Even though I had the original mounted upside down under the seat pan it ran VERY hot, I could not hold my hand to it after a ride. I didn't fail but...

With the MOSFET it is barely warm to the touch after a ride mounted in the same position. It also charges my LiFe battery better which I can tell by how it cranks when starting and measuring the voltage when running.

Reactions: sunstar557

·
Registered
792 Posts
What's the advantage(s) of a mosfet R/R?
The main advantage is that a MosFet R/R is far less likely to leave you sitting by the side of the road with a dead battery like many of us have experienced. If you still have the stock Ducati R/R you are living on borrowed time. And when your R/R does die, unless you have a voltmeter on your bike (highly recommended!) you won't know it. You will be lucky to get 20 miles down the road before your battery is below 12 volts and you are calling a tow truck because you have no ignition or fuel delivery. And you'll probably have to buy a new battery as well as a new R/R. Might as well be preemptive and do the R/R now. The plug and play one that JC has looks like it will take you 15 minutes to install even if you work slow. Those of us who had to do this mod years ago had to fabricate mounts and wiring harnesses to install a Kawasaki or Honda R/R so you have it easy now. Do it!

Reactions: sunstar557

·
Registered
384 Posts
how does this compare to the shindengen RRs?

i know with the stock RR, one of the problems was that the connector would get hot and melt. Does this use the same connector or is it upgraded?

6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Shindengen is a brand. I av eno idea what the comparison is as I did not do a side by side.

The ones we have made are differently and the housing is smaller

The three yellow wires is what has been the biggest problem
You have to clean the connectors and pins well and use dielectric grease and make sure it is a firm connection at the pins.
If there is ant corrosion or burnt wires it should be replaced and I have kits for this.

how does this compare to the shindengen RRs?

i know with the stock RR, one of the problems was that the connector would get hot and melt. Does this use the same connector or is it upgraded?

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Cheated Fate Long Enough

The main advantage is that a MosFet R/R is far less likely to leave you sitting by the side of the road with a dead battery like many of us have experienced. If you still have the stock Ducati R/R you are living on borrowed time. And when your R/R does die, unless you have a voltmeter on your bike (highly recommended!) you won't know it. You will be lucky to get 20 miles down the road before your battery is below 12 volts and you are calling a tow truck because you have no ignition or fuel delivery. And you'll probably have to buy a new battery as well as a new R/R. Might as well be preemptive and do the R/R now. The plug and play one that JC has looks like it will take you 15 minutes to install even if you work slow. Those of us who had to do this mod years ago had to fabricate mounts and wiring harnesses to install a Kawasaki or Honda R/R so you have it easy now. Do it!
My MOSFET R/R is on its way.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I discovered a new MOSFET R/R for our bikes.
I asked them to make the Cables specifically for our bikes and it fit better then the stock or other aftermarket R/R.

One of the issues is poor connections that can arc and burn the wires. Especially the three yellow
This kit comes Comes with bike side connectors to assure good connection and a little pack of dielectric grease. Not mandatory to convert but it will assure a better connection.
I found an identical looking one for my 08 Monster S4RS Tricolore, I picked it up from Rick's Motorsports Electrics. Also MOSFET technology, below is the link ;) Awesome people & service, highly recommended. I also needed a stator & they even made custom with #14 gauge wire at no extra cost :)

http://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/results

Give them a try

L8tr
Pete

6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ricks is good
So is
RM stator
Electrosport and a few others
They all do what they are supposed to do

But I did this for our bikes.
Support your local forum sponsors
:wink2:

I found an identical looking one for my 08 Monster S4RS Tricolore, I picked it up from Rick's Motorsports Electrics. Also MOSFET technology, below is the link ;) Awesome people & service, highly recommended. I also needed a stator & they even made custom with #14 gauge wire at no extra cost :)

http://ricksmotorsportelectrics.com/results

Give them a try

L8tr
Pete

·
Registered
233 Posts
Ricks is good
So is
RM stator
Electrosport and a few others
They all do what they are supposed to do

But I did this for our bikes.
Support your local forum sponsors
:wink2:
I usually do :)

..I just found Rick's Motorsports first, In LT Snyders Maintenance & modification manual >:) after my R/R & stator decided to retire :crying:
I just thought i would add an extra source in the mix :wink2:

L8tr
Pete

·
Registered
94 Posts
Welp, my upgraded Mosfet R/R just caught on fire for the second time now. I'll see how the warranty works out but I may have to upgrade to this kit instead. There goes my riding season on the Duc. Luckily I didn't sign up for the trackday next week :crying:

6,048 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
There must be something else going on :think:
You may need to check the Alternator out put.
When was the last battery change and was it the stock Yuasa or aftermarket?

Was the fire from the RR or at the connectors?
Check especially the three yellow wires.
See what the condition of the wires and connector pins are. If there is any Oxidization or corrosion it need to be cleaned

Probably best to remove the old connectors. Clean the wires with contact cleaner and brush. Clean and remove all corrosion. Replace with new pins. Smear on Dielectric grease and button her up with a fresh R/R

Welp, my upgraded Mosfet R/R just caught on fire for the second time now. I'll see how the warranty works out but I may have to upgrade to this kit instead. There goes my riding season on the Duc. Luckily I didn't sign up for the trackday next week :crying:

·
Registered
792 Posts
Welp, my upgraded Mosfet R/R just caught on fire for the second time now...
I think this is the first time I have ever heard of a failed MosFet R/R. Are you sure they were MosFet and not shorting type R/R's? What brand were the flaming units? There must be 10 million Shindengen MosFet R/R's running on Japanese bikes (and on my S1K) without issue. As JC said you must have another problem.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts