Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Its late and I am tired but I thought I would share this install with you. I bought 1 Mosfet kit from Jack at Roadster Cycle and I cant say enough about how great this guy and his customer service is ! Case in point I bought 2 more units from him ...1 for my Monster and another spare for future project. The RR is an obvious quality product but the install components Jack supplies are top rate. Usually when I get anything electrical the first thing I do is throw out what is usually crap connectors , wire etc. Not in Roadster's case. Absolutley excellent stuff !

OK ...the pics speak for themselves (in this and 4 posts below). I made up a triangular plate and welded it between frame tubes directly behind the steering neck. Cooling will never be and issue. Step by step I start the install

1 - Re-route stator leads to front and cut to suit.
2- Crimp, solder and heat shrink all stator connectors
3- Install connectors in supplied plugs
4- Install circuit breaker
5 -Measure charge lead from RR to breaker - cut to suit
6- Install supplied ring connector, crimp , solder, heat shrink and attach to terminal
7 - Measure charge lead to batt , and repeat step 6
8 - Measure ground lead from RR to attachment point, cut and repeat step 6

When I welded up the mounting plate for RR I also welded up a mount for a modular connector on the right side of frame to facilitate boosting and charging the battery without removing it. I didnt have time to take pics of putting this together but but I used 6 guage batt cable with decent copper connectors that are of course crimped and soldered . To cut down on wires to batt (you will notice there are a few) . I first ran the positive cable to the batt side of the solenoid instead of directly to the battery (same thing anyhow). Then I ran the modular ground to the 'common' attachment point for all grounds where the engine, frame batt box, originate.

Any of you who have read my posts on electrical know how what a ground freak I am . You will also note I crimp and solder every connection I make . Crimping alone not recommended. I also heat shrink all to prevent shorts. As a result it is rare I have electrical issues.

Anyhow the pics speak for themselves.

Hope this is of help to those with Mosfet in mind.

Stephano

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Pics continued ....

more pics

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Next I will tidy up all of the wiring nice and neat (its all over the place right now) and for that matter the complete harness front to back....then exhaust, bleed brakes, bleed clutch, add oil, masterlink, fuel tank and lines, velocity stacks, fab up bracket for Bitubo top mount damper, install cnc (my design) sprocket cover and cnc crank end cover ...

Then the fun begins with the install of the Landspeed fairing...

I modded my swingin arm for a rear wheel stand...machined a hole just in front of the axle and welded in a bung ....modding a 1098 stand to fit ....

Start it up !
Stephano

·
Registered
180 Posts
Many thanks Stephano for sharing these precious info
;)

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
It's a way to view pictures on a web site, particularly useful when there are multiple pictures. Go here and click on the one of the pictures in the Example IMAGE SET to see how it works. When done viewing you simply click on the CLOSE button or click outside of the picture (any where on the web page).

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's a way to view pictures on a web site, particularly useful when there are multiple pictures. Go here and click on the one of the pictures in the Example IMAGE SET to see how it works. When done viewing you simply click on the CLOSE button or click outside of the picture (any where on the web page).
AC - CAn that application be applied here or does it need to be imbedded in the site?

Stephano

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It sure would make things easier and less time consuming particularly if there was a straight forward way to post pics in the text without having to join up another site and post pics there ....then links here...quite the go round...

Stephano

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
After experiencing the failure of my second R/R (Electrosport) I am going to a Yamaha MOSFET. This time I was seeing an intermittant CEL but had a feeling what it was. Switched to the spare R/R I always carry after being stranded 15 miles from cell phone coverage on the Cherohala Skyway.

But, like expanding tanks, R/Rs will fail--you just don't know when. I will try the MOSFET. Billions of Japanese bikes can't be wrong.

·
Registered
23 Posts
This post motivated me to do the r/r swap to the Mosfet. But now I am looking at how to match up the wiring (pic of current r/r attached with 7 wires) and I am stumped. I have the 3-stator wire setup from Jack at Roadster. I take the three yellow wires and crimp/solder them to the three wire stator plug on the Mosfet, right?

Can you help me understand what to do with the remaining 4 wires (2 red and 2 green)? The instructions sent just say to hook up the 3 stator wires on one plug and then connect wires on the other plug to the battery terminals (2nd pic is of new Mosfet). Do I just remove all the red and green wires left behind from my old r/r?

Thanks for any advice you or anyone else can give on this.

Attachments

·
Official Retired Person
7,435 Posts
Here's a link to another thread here. See if this answers your questions.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/77-sport-classic/112420-where-can-i-order-new-rectifier-regulator-2.html

This post motivated me to do the r/r swap to the Mosfet. But now I am looking at how to match up the wiring (pic of current r/r attached with 7 wires) and I am stumped. I have the 3-stator wire setup from Jack at Roadster. I take the three yellow wires and crimp/solder them to the three wire stator plug on the Mosfet, right?

Can you help me understand what to do with the remaining 4 wires (2 red and 2 green)? The instructions sent just say to hook up the 3 stator wires on one plug and then connect wires on the other plug to the battery terminals (2nd pic is of new Mosfet). Do I just remove all the red and green wires left behind from my old r/r?

Thanks for any advice you or anyone else can give on this.

·
Registered
23 Posts
That thread is close...it does explain the 3 yellow stator wires, but what did you do with the remaining 4 red/green wires? Did you just pull them out and connect the new Mosfet wires to the terminals?
Thanks...my Saturday morning project is bleeding into night here.

·
Premium Member
2,889 Posts
... I am looking at how to match up the wiring (pic of current r/r attached with 7 wires) and I am stumped. I have the 3-stator wire setup from Jack at Roadster. I take the three yellow wires and crimp/solder them to the three wire stator plug on the Mosfet, right?
Correct.

You're not using the stock wiring harness that goes from the battery to the R/R, correct? So you will remove the stock harness and follow the instructions. Yes, you would remove all the stock wires left behind from your old R/R.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts