Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if a shock for a 750/900 will fit on a 800? This is the description "OHLINS for ducati #OHDU235 SHK 91-01 750/900 ss"

Also are the forks on the 2005 800SS showa's?
Thanks
Chad

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
Hi Chad,

The line of SS's pretty much share the same socks, just that the '99-present bikes have a 5mm longer shock vs the '98 and older models. So if it's a shock designed for the older SS, it will affect the handling of the current bikes.

The curent bikes run a 333mm eye2eye, while the older SS runs a 328mm eye2eye. That gives you an idea to have it measured and see if it is made for the current bike or the older model.

The forks on the '05 are probably the Marzocchi non adjustable stuff. The bikes only had adjustable Showas or nonadjustable Marzocchi's. Some older models used a nonadjustable showa IIRC, but that was a long time ago.

The only 800SS that used adjustable forks were on the '03 model.

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
139 Posts
On a kinda related note...
How many parts on these bikes (800/900) are interchangeable? Not actual number of course but is it safe to say that a good chunk of after market parts for the 900 will fit the 800?

·
Registered
2,334 Posts
nu2du said:
On a kinda related note...
How many parts on these bikes (800/900) are interchangeable? Not actual number of course but is it safe to say that a good chunk of after market parts for the 900 will fit the 800?

Pretty much everything, sans the different engine confiuration and the electronics.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
Brian pretty much covered everything there. But do check the eye to eye length of the shock. It's actually a very popular mod to put a late model (fuel injected) shock on a early (carb) bike because it does raise the rear ride heigth, but supposedly that's a good thing on those bikes. The opposite would be true if that's a short shock and you put in on your 800. The lower rear would not be desirable for handling. Most of the Ohlins are ride heigth adjustable anyways, but still check and see what kind of adjustment range you can get out of it.

The forks on your '05 are definately Marzocchis. No, they will not go well with your Ohlins rear unless you do something. The only thing you can do to these forks is change the oil and the spring. I guess Traxxon makes some cartridges that work great but now you're getting into some money.

·
Registered
145 Posts
galaxy said:
Brian pretty much covered everything there. But do check the eye to eye length of the shock. It's actually a very popular mod to put a late model (fuel injected) shock on a early (carb) bike because it does raise the rear ride heigth, but supposedly that's a good thing on those bikes. The opposite would be true if that's a short shock and you put in on your 800. The lower rear would not be desirable for handling. Most of the Ohlins are ride heigth adjustable anyways, but still check and see what kind of adjustment range you can get out of it.

The forks on your '05 are definately Marzocchis. No, they will not go well with your Ohlins rear unless you do something. The only thing you can do to these forks is change the oil and the spring. I guess Traxxon makes some cartridges that work great but now you're getting into some money.
Traxxion can make the Marzochi forks have compression adjustment and the preload with the AK-20 kit. I just found a nice set of 1000ss Showa's and put the AK kit in them. Great forks now.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was going to gp with 900 or 1000 fork but donny did not have any and the price of what I saw on e-bay got me looking into other options. I may end up going with rach tech cartridges, they are looking into what they can do for me with the stock tubes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts