1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
167 Posts
Ha ha ha, do it man. Get it professionally isntalled, try it out on the track first, and film it and let us all watch.

lol, you're crazy.

·
Registered
923 Posts
retarded. Sounds like you bought a Ducati for all the wrong reasons.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cost...$$$...

Don't need that much power on daily basis...

for less then $400...just extra power...if you need it...and only for 10-15 secs at the most...

Just talking to fellow Ducatisti about this...doesn't mean that I am going to do it...

wanted to see what you guys thought about it, since I haven't seen anyone else talk about it...

·
comrade moderator
26,748 Posts
For some reason I think you'll find 90% will be against it. It's a Ducati thing I suppose. I don't get it, I'm not for it or against it.
It's your bike and if you'd like that, go for it!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Having played with nitrous systems in the past on an EFI car, you need to take some things into consideration. First, my assumption about the closed loop system on the Ducati works like any other closed loop system. The readings from the oxygen sensor goes into the determination of the A/F ratio. On car EFI installs, the setup of the nitrous system is done in a manner where it only activates at WOT. When the car's engine is running at WOT, the ECU ignores the oxygen sensor and goes into open loop mode.

The next part of the equation is fuel enrichment. This all depends on how big of a shot you're looking for. Some small shot setups don't require any fuel enrichment. The choice of many people with car EFI systems is to use a dry spray setup. The dry spray system uses some nitrous injected into the vacuum port of the fuel pressure regulator to close down the valve. This causes the fuel pressure to spike up and when the injector opens more fuel is sprayed into the cylinder. This allows just pure nitrous to be sprayed into the intake. The reason this is preferred is because many EFI intakes/runners are not setup to carry fuel through them...even in a misted form. Where as typical nitrous systems use a fogger or spray bar type setup.

Now I don't know how this all applies to a motorcycle and a EFI one at that. But it's just some things to think about from the automotive side which have to be taken into account.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Not going to do it...

I was 20% yes and 80% no before this post...

now 90% NO...

Thx!

·
Registered
158 Posts
For shits and giggles? Why not? Do it man.

I see many people post up about dropping big piston kits on their bikes, special maps, hot cams, yada, yada, yada........ :cool:

All for the same purpose, Mo' Powa!!! :D

Regardless of what you want it for, faster lap times, 'cause your skillz have improved, 'just for "shits and giggles"......it's all irelevant. If you have the coin and are prepared to use that power in a responsible manner then do it.

·
Registered
923 Posts
faster lap times
you don't use nitrous for any racing except straight line and Ducatis seem to be much more fun in the corners to me than in a straight line...People complaining about not enough power out of a modern superbike that is ridden on the street are retarded too. Before i bought my 999 my GT1000 was over kill for street riding.

Get a Hayabusa

or a vmax or a zx14

·
Registered
923 Posts
thats even sillier too. It seems like you take a bike with perfectly good road manners and make it have light switch power delivery making it nothing but a straight line bike. Doesn't the DS1100 have wheelie problems as is...will it not have to have a crazy stretched swing arm?

Building the motor cams, pistons, etc will keep the nice torque curve and smooth delivery of power so thats the best way to do it, but it is expensive.

Atleast nitrous isn't on all the time. But...nitrous can do some real damage too.

Nitrous and Forced induction is for drag bikes...

·
Registered
516 Posts
I had a 40 hp dry shot on 2 of my r1"s. I originally did it as a joke to mess with a friend but ended up liking it so much that i kept it and even added it to my next r1. On the r1 it was cool because the whole system was hidden, a 1 lb bottle under the seat and the horn button activated it.

the way to trick the efi to richen up the mixture is to have the spray hit the temp probe in the airbox, the spray is cold and it causes the computer to richen the mixture. I always verified through an ega that my mixture stayed around 13:1 when spraying. I think if you dont get greedy with bigger jets and verify your a/f ratio, a moderate ( 30-40 hp) shot used occasionally would be fine.

just make sure your always full throttle before spraying and dont close the throttle instantly when coming off the button.

fwiw My 06 r1 made approx 210-220 hp at the rear wheel with a 40 shot. yea it was fun, not really scary, just like a big 2 stroke coming on the pipe when you hit the button. Since it was all hidden I left more then person slack jawed wondering what the hell just happened when I would literally put 20 bike lengths on them in a couple seconds :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
Building the motor cams, pistons, etc will keep the nice torque curve and smooth delivery of power so thats the best way to do it, but it is expensive.

Atleast nitrous isn't on all the time. But...nitrous can do some real damage too.

Nitrous and Forced induction is for drag bikes...
....and cars are only meant for commuting from point A to point B, not for racing. :rolleyes:

I must have missed that day of class where the rules of motor mods were discussed. Sheesh. :cool:

·
Registered
956 Posts
I still remember the guy with the V-Max whose bike we painted who put NOS on and literally wrapped it around a pole on the first corner he hit after we put the bodywork back on. He got very hurt.

It is good, cheap, but grandiose HP (edit: I grew up with very, very fast drag racers...like VH dudes and my boss was the fastest man in Canada...that's where NOS belongs)...and if you think cracking it around a corner is gonna do you good, good luck...it's a straight-line only improvement...that's my (2nd hand) experience...

I can't imagine putting NOS on a Ducati. It's violent, Ducks aren't...but if you get it working congrats...just be careful...

Shawn

·
Trackday Junkie
1,374 Posts
I wouldn't do it, just because it's a PITA to make sure nothing goes wrong. But there are tons of other small little tricks you can do to make your bike nearly as fast, all the time.

Termignoni slip-ons/ecu/filter w/ a PC and custom map

520 kit with a non-o-ring chain and sprocket up 2-3 teeth

Ceramic wheel bearings, or, the poor man's bearing mod (stock bearings with removed plastic bearing housing on the inside of the bearings)

Good oil (ie - Mobil 1 0w-30....but make damn sure you let it warm up before taking off...)

50 psi in both tires

Pryed rear brake pads

Light weight wheels with lightened/cut rear rotor and Ti rotor/sprocket bolts

R1 throttle tube

And more....

1 - 20 of 40 Posts