Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Since porting my stock exhaust I am really enjoying the sound. However, the bike is running to lean. This may have been the way it came setup but is more noticeable now with the ported exhaust.

Anyway in my never ending tinkering of my GT what would yield the best performance results?

1. Termi kit setup by the shop I purchased it from

2. Power Commander and custom tune done at a shop with a dyno

3. Stain-Tune exhaust

Thanks all in advance

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have the Termi kit and really like it. Others much prefer the sound and look of the Staintunes. Personal choice here. The difference is that the Termi kit comes with an open loop ECU that does not use the O2 sensor and also runs much richer. Adding Staintune exhaust will not do anything to help richen your mix. I believe the addition of a PCIII will also be countered by the O2 sensor as the ECU will simply detect too little O2 in the exhaust and lean out the mix regardless of the PCIII. If so, I think you still need an open loop ECU in order to make use of a PCIII.
Try the FatDuc O2 manipulator. It's an electronic gizmo (variable resistor) that manipulates the signal from the O2 sensor to the ECU and "fools" the ECU into thinking that the mix is too lean so that it richens it up. This is a good choice for either the stock exhaust (drilled out or not) or the Staintunes.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Hi,

I can't speak in any exact or absolute terms, but there's one factor that might affect overall performance: The weight!

The Termis are definitely lighter than the stock exhaust, the Staintunes also, don't know by how much.

Another thing, just to elaborate on jeff_quan's point ... as far as I know, the stock ECU does rely on the oxygen sensor, so it doesn't play 100% well with the Power Commander. However, the O2 sensor is only used below a certain RPM. 4000RPM? 5000? (I think!) So if you add a Power Commander, useful though it is, the stock ECU basically ignores the Power Commander in the RPM range where the O2 sensor is used. That's where the FatDuc O2 manipulator comes in, and serves as a tweak button to fix the range where the stock ECU overrides the Power Commander.

So, you can work with the stock ECU, but you will very probably need a FatDuc, and a Power Commander is also very useful. At least if you've modified the air intake / exhaust, like if you modify the airbox or add a performance exhaust. O2 Manipulator + PowerCommander (or similar) may be the cheapest way to obtain better performance.

The best performance, regardless of price, is probably the Termi kit + Power Commander.

Staintune in between, but it also needs some fuel controller adjustment.

But as I said, I can't be sure ... I don't have a bike and I haven't done any of this. I'm just trying to be prepared for when I get the bike. But please double-check anything I state. Hope I could help.

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Hi,

The best performance, regardless of price, is probably the Termi kit + Power Commander.
Yep. Start with the Termi kit and DP ECU. That will give a lot more power (if you take out the baffles, much less if you leave them in - Brad Black showed this for the GT), and totally cure the lean condition. In fact, it will likely run a bit too rich at WOT, so if you add a PCIII subsequently and get it dyno tuned you will likely end up with a leaner map for more power. At least, that was the case with the monopostos.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Pardon my ignorance.... Will the FatDuc work with a DP ECU? Since it is an open loop?

:D

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
No, since what it does is modify the signal from the lambda sensor. The DP ECU doesn't use that signal.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Learning has just occurred! Thanks YellowDuck!:)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok it looks like I am going to spring for the Termi Kit. Probably sooner then later because the bike is getting to be a pain to ride below 3500 RPM's. Slow speed turns around side roads make me feel like I am just learning to ride again with the jerky on off throttle.

I put on the 14T sprocket and only feel a 5% difference.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts