Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New owner here and just purchased a 2008 with around 7200 miles. I have been spending a lot of time here doing research but I have just a few questions for all the experts…

1)It gets rather cold here and I plan to ride most all winter (with my heated vest and heated grips!) unless there is ice or snow on the roads. 7500 mile service coming up and I was wondering if any of you change the oil weight during the colder months? PO was running Repsol full synthetic 15-50. Not sure what I am going to use, but I more familiar with Mobil.

2)A good all around tire? I have been looking at the D616 and the Pirelli Sync for this winter. Then try something more sport oriented in the spring.

3)Seats. I posted earlier about trading my DP Race seat for the low comfort model. Is it any lower or the same height? In my thread on that it was indicated they were the same height and from the pictures, I’ve seen they look like they would be. I really don’t care a lot about the height. I’ve been short all my life and tip toeing around on a bike isn’t new, but dropping a 250cc off-road bike on the trail trying to get turned around and dropping this thing on the pavement are too entirely different things!

4)Working to get the bike setup for me. I ordered the adjustable rear link and had to adjust the preload front and rear for my weight. I am about 150lbs and the PO was about 30-40 pounds heavier. What height are the front forks set at from the dealer? Right now they are dropped to the second line. I just want to get a standard before making any adjustments especially height/rake/trail.

5)Oil changes. PO was very good on maintenance, changing oil every 2500 miles. I noticed in another thread some talk of changing the oil more frequently than suggested in the manual and I would certainly agree. However I was wondering if anyone changes the oil every 2500 miles or so and replaces the filer every other oil change. I used to do that on some of my other bikes, but this is my first Ducati.

6)Smooth shifting. Any tips or tricks to being smooth on this beast? I have a fair amount of riding time about half on the street and half in the dirt, but I feel like the clutch and throttle are all or nothing even after adjusting the levers. I’ve only had the bike about a week and I am getting better, but I still feel jerky with downshifts and 1-2nd up shifts. I can’t seem to get the revs right to smoothly shift. I did read another thread on this and I did check/adjust the chain tension a bit which helped. I think I just need more seat time. Is it me, the torquey twin, the dry clutch, a combination of all of it or another adjustment?

7)I’ve never done a track day (never had a bike this fun to justify $200 on a track day) and I think I will have to sign-up as a novice and have some fun. I live in central Indiana and all our roads are straight lines and round-a-bouts are getting old. Any advice for a first time?

·
Registered
408 Posts

·
Registered
441 Posts
New owner here and just purchased a 2008 with around 7200 miles. I have been spending a lot of time here doing research but I have just a few questions for all the experts…

1)It gets rather cold here and I plan to ride most all winter (with my heated vest and heated grips!) unless there is ice or snow on the roads. 7500 mile service coming up and I was wondering if any of you change the oil weight during the colder months? PO was running Repsol full synthetic 15-50. Not sure what I am going to use, but I more familiar with Mobil.

2)A good all around tire? I have been looking at the D616 and the Pirelli Sync for this winter. Then try something more sport oriented in the spring.

3)Seats. I posted earlier about trading my DP Race seat for the low comfort model. Is it any lower or the same height? In my thread on that it was indicated they were the same height and from the pictures, I’ve seen they look like they would be. I really don’t care a lot about the height. I’ve been short all my life and tip toeing around on a bike isn’t new, but dropping a 250cc off-road bike on the trail trying to get turned around and dropping this thing on the pavement are too entirely different things!

4)Working to get the bike setup for me. I ordered the adjustable rear link and had to adjust the preload front and rear for my weight. I am about 150lbs and the PO was about 30-40 pounds heavier. What height are the front forks set at from the dealer? Right now they are dropped to the second line. I just want to get a standard before making any adjustments especially height/rake/trail.

5)Oil changes. PO was very good on maintenance, changing oil every 2500 miles. I noticed in another thread some talk of changing the oil more frequently than suggested in the manual and I would certainly agree. However I was wondering if anyone changes the oil every 2500 miles or so and replaces the filer every other oil change. I used to do that on some of my other bikes, but this is my first Ducati.

6)Smooth shifting. Any tips or tricks to being smooth on this beast? I have a fair amount of riding time about half on the street and half in the dirt, but I feel like the clutch and throttle are all or nothing even after adjusting the levers. I’ve only had the bike about a week and I am getting better, but I still feel jerky with downshifts and 1-2nd up shifts. I can’t seem to get the revs right to smoothly shift. I did read another thread on this and I did check/adjust the chain tension a bit which helped. I think I just need more seat time. Is it me, the torquey twin, the dry clutch, a combination of all of it or another adjustment?

7)I’ve never done a track day (never had a bike this fun to justify $200 on a track day) and I think I will have to sign-up as a novice and have some fun. I live in central Indiana and all our roads are straight lines and round-a-bouts are getting old. Any advice for a first time?
No expert here but this is what we have done,

We run Motul 15-50 here and we ride all year round, heated grips are a must.

A good combo for tires are a pilot road 2c on the rear and a normal pilot power on the front.
Ive got 5200km on my rear tire and it looks like i will get another 3000km out of it.

We have shaved our stock seats which make them more comfortable and lowers them a bit also.

I am 160 lbs and have gone to lighter springs in the front with 5w oil and are about to change my rear spring to a 80 n/mm. this is on the S model.

I change my oil every 5-6000 km and filter.If you are doing track days I would change more freguently

You should'nt be having problems shifting, try adjusting the height of your shifter.

Track lessons would be a must, you dont want to bin your new toy:eek:

·
Registered
256 Posts
No expert here but this is what we have done,

We run Motul 15-50 here and we ride all year round, heated grips are a must.

A good combo for tires are a pilot road 2c on the rear and a normal pilot power on the front.
Ive got 5200km on my rear tire and it looks like i will get another 3000km out of it.

We have shaved our stock seats which make them more comfortable and lowers them a bit also.

I am 160 lbs and have gone to lighter springs in the front with 5w oil and are about to change my rear spring to a 80 n/mm. this is on the S model.

I change my oil every 5-6000 km and filter.If you are doing track days I would change more freguently

You should'nt be having problems shifting, try adjusting the height of your shifter.

Track lessons would be a must, you dont want to bin your new toy:eek:
I reckon my gear changes are smoother now that I keep the revs up as I change.

·
Registered
588 Posts
You are right about seat height - not much difference, but the DP comfort seat is the best you can do without getting a custom seat made.

For me it turned a 2 hour bike into an all day rider-go for it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts