Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need a little more help. I've been working on getting my '01 750SS running right. It's been showing symptoms of running lean (misfire, some short surges, popping @ exhaust) when accelerating gradually, holding steady throttle between 40-55 MPH or so. Sometimes, it vibrates enough to really shake the guages. I know they're mounted in foam, but it does seem excessive. It happens more and is more pronounced when the air temp is high. I recently replaced the fuel filter and cleaned out a clogged fuel tank vent tube. It helped, but didn't cure it. Can the sensors on the bike be tested (and what should they be showing) with only a multimeter, or do I need to get to the dealer with the diagnostic meter?
I also replaced the spark plugs and set the proper gap. The old vertical cyl's plug was too wide.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
Need a little more help. I've been working on getting my '01 750SS running right. It's been showing symptoms of running lean (misfire, some short surges, popping @ exhaust) when accelerating gradually, holding steady throttle between 40-55 MPH or so. Sometimes, it vibrates enough to really shake the guages. I know they're mounted in foam, but it does seem excessive. It happens more and is more pronounced when the air temp is high. I recently replaced the fuel filter and cleaned out a clogged fuel tank vent tube. It helped, but didn't cure it. Can the sensors on the bike be tested (and what should they be showing) with only a multimeter, or do I need to get to the dealer with the diagnostic meter?
I also replaced the spark plugs and set the proper gap. The old vertical cyl's plug was too wide.
It's tough to figure anything out without diagnostic equipment of some type. You can do a basic check of the temperature sensors with a hair dryer and a resistance gauge, but unless you have a way to get into the ECU, you can't really know what's going on.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I was afraid of that. I might try the hair dryer/resistance thing on the air temp sensor. Is there any specified resistance I should be looking for at different temps, or just a progressive change?
Does anyone have experience with the diagnostic software offered by FBF? Is it just too see what's going on, or can it adjust settings/maps, etc? I had a Triumph TT600 that I used the Tuneboy software on with great results. Had that thing running great, hoping I can do the same w/the Duc

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Fuel system and engine position sensor

As per the PM I sent to you, maybe try the TUNEAP 231 fuel additive the service manual recommends after a long period of standing.

Also check the engine sensor as per the attachment.

Richard

Attachments

·
Registered
9 Posts
i hate to use someone elses thread but i need electrical help

i have a 94 750SS. it wont start but it will turn over. ive changed all the fuses. ive cleaned the carbs. ive replaced the battery. has fuel. fuel pump runs. when trying to start you can flick the on/off switch back and forth and it will putter like its about to stay started but no luck. may be the regulator? i have no clue.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME! im in desperate need. i want to ride...BAD!

thanks

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
Suggest you start a new thread to keep issues separate

Have you removed the plugs to see if you are getting a spark?
If not, take them out connect the leads and leave thread touching cylinder fins, then crank the engine to see if you have a spark.

I doubt it is the regulator as that is not part of the start circuit.

This wiring diag should be the same as your bike. You will need it to trace faults if it is electrical.

Richard

i have a 94 750SS. it wont start but it will turn over. ive changed all the fuses. ive cleaned the carbs. ive replaced the battery. has fuel. fuel pump runs. when trying to start you can flick the on/off switch back and forth and it will putter like its about to stay started but no luck. may be the regulator? i have no clue.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME! im in desperate need. i want to ride...BAD!

thanks

Attachments

1 - 6 of 6 Posts