Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had no idea the ST4 and the Monster S4 were essentially the same bike. So the idea just popped into my head - has anyone ever stripped the front fairings off and replaced them with a Monster headlamp and instrument subframe? While it would strip away much of the essence of the ST4, the Monsters have always been beautiful, one could keep the panniers, and it would shed a whole ton of weight - the difference in weight between the two bikes is nearly 50lbs, and much of that I'll bet is in the full fairings.

But then again, in terms of weight distribution, that's about the last place I'd want to remove weight from (the front)...

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Why not just trade your ST in for a Monster then ?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
boy I really do seem to be able to miss the obvious don't I :rolleyes:

Ever see a Sportclassic GT1000 with touring windshield? Mate that with the rear of...ah, nevermind.

I own an ST4 by default. It was the cheapest literbike on the showroom floor while I wait for my BMW. Forget it.

·
Mr Leakered
8,820 Posts
The biggest issue it that the ST tank looks out of place on a street fighter conversion. But then, the smaller Monster tanks, while looking the part, cause a major range problem.

BTW, weren't you the one complaining about the front of the ST being light? Cripes! A Monster has much less mass up front, not to mention the battery is moved back and up under the seat.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep, I did put in that caveat that while shaving weight would be nice, the front is about the last place I'd want to remove it from :p

not a bad conversion, but not exactly what I envisioned either. I'll just keep mine the way it is :D

·
Registered
998 Posts
You take off the fairing and there is a lot of electrical reconfiguring to get it to look decent. You have to find somewhere to put a lot of gizmos and wiring.
Even the radiator doesn't have the nice side plates as the monster. And the center stand, etc. etc. It can be done, and it can be nice, but not really easily.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You take off the fairing and there is a lot of electrical reconfiguring to get it to look decent. You have to find somewhere to put a lot of gizmos and wiring.
Even the radiator doesn't have the nice side plates as the monster. And the center stand, etc. etc. It can be done, and it can be nice, but not really easily.
yep, had all the fairings off tonight and while I can appreciate how others have done it, it's not something I'd want to tackle.

I just thought it'd be an interesting way to get ST hard luggage on a Monster. But it'd probably be a lot easier to go the other way around - start with an early 2000s Monster and get the pannier racks onto the frame. MTS1200 cases were put on a 1098 - so how hard can it be? :)

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
I just thought it'd be an interesting way to get ST hard luggage on a Monster. But it'd probably be a lot easier to go the other way around - start with an early 2000s Monster and get the pannier racks onto the frame. MTS1200 cases were put on a 1098 - so how hard can it be? :)
Ducati actually offered a pannier kit for the Monsters. The panniers were the same as the ST bikes to my knowledge. I've seen a few Monsters with the kit on them, but not many.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts