Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking at BST carbon wheels as the final upgrade on my monster 900i.e.
just looking for opinions as to whether this is an ideal wheel choice and should the wheel be 5 or 7 spoke?
thanks!

·
Registered
300 Posts
just looking for opinions as to whether this is an ideal wheel choice and should the wheel be 5 or 7 spoke?
thanks!
5 spoke vs. 7 spoke is purely aesthetic, which do YOU like better. Not sure there is even a 7 spoke option for DSS Monsters. Talk to the guys at Motowheels and find out if there are options for spokes for DSS Monsters. You'll need to know whether you have 20 or 25mm front axle and 17 or 20mm rear axle when you go to order.

The BST are the lightest by a long shot. Still lighter than stock, but not as light as the BST would be Carrozzeria wheels, and they cost about half the BST's.

Don't forget to factor in new tires, and rear sprocket into your price calculation.

Based on your post's phrasing, it seems you might be a little unfamiliar with BSTs. If you are unaware, a set of these will run well over $3,000.00 plus tires, sprocket (and you'd be absurd not to upgrade rear brake rotor at the same time, and spring for Ti sprocket nuts and rotor bolts - pennies compared to the price of the wheels).

They are the lightest wheels out there, which means you'll both accelerate and decelerate more quickly, and turn in will be improved. With the improvements in turn-in, on the street, you'll also notice such a wheel will 'track' in the grooves in the pavement created by heavy cars. Sometimes this is feels like the bike has a bit of a mind of its own and wants to wander. This is felt when riding with track / high-performance profile tires (compared to something like the pilot roads) and is increased with a lightweight wheel.

Food for thought. If you are thinking of investing in a set for bling purposes, that's kinda silly, you could buy a second bike for the track (nearly) the price of these wheels, and the improvements you'd derive from that experience would make you faster than bolting these on to your Monster.

·
Registered
16,908 Posts
thanks!
BST only makes the 5 spokes for the 900ie rear.

Monster Wheels: <'01

I've had them on my Monster since 2002. They transform the bike. I had magnesium wheels on the bike before the carbon wheels.

-M

1 - 3 of 3 Posts