Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys ,
I am looking for a front wheel for my 2012 monster 696. eBay hasn't turned up any good options. I was wondering if you guys know of other years that would work. Found a great deal on an 04 st4 front wheel. Any help is much appreciated thanks !

·
Premium Member
4,275 Posts
Matt
Check bolt pattern on the rotors, many of the newer bikes have a 5 bolt pattern the st has a 6 bolt. I would imagine there is a bunch of bikes that will fit but I do not have a 696 in the shop ( one left Saturday) to check. you will need a 25mm axle size which is most ducatis since 98 but the rotor spacing and hub width will be your next questions.

If you measure your wheel I can check some I have in the shop.
outside to outside rotor widths
bolt count to hold the rotors
wheel hub spacing

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ducvet
Thanks for the reply. I do have a 6 bolt rotor. I got lucky and a 696 front wheel came on eBay over the weekend and I bought it quickly!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Ducvet
Thanks for the reply. I do have a 6 bolt rotor. I got lucky and a 696 front wheel came on eBay over the weekend and I bought it quickly!
Hey I’m going through the same thing. I needed 696 front wheel, no dice but the st4 had the same bolt pattern and wheel dimensions. Here is the problem I have run into. The bearings are recessed on the st4 wheel on one side making the spacer on the monster not fit quite right. I’m not sure if I can just change the bearings, or if this is an indication that the hub depth and diameter are different.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
the st4 had a speedo drive. you may need a spacer the same width as the speedo drive, but i would have thought it'd be the same regardless. although i see there are two different 696 front whee #.

do you just need to remove the old speedo drive toothed ring?

·
Registered
2 Posts
the st4 had a speedo drive. you may need a spacer the same width as the speedo drive, but i would have thought it'd be the same regardless. although i see there are two different 696 front whee #.

do you just need to remove the old speedo drive toothed ring?
Here are a couple of pictures the old wheel is the black one. Both of the pictures are the clutch side of the wheel. The silver one is indented about 1/4-3/8 of an inch it has a lock ring thing on top of the bearing with small raised portions I imagine that is for prying it out with a screwdriver to get the bearing out, but maybe that is for the Speedo drive you mentioned. The raised section on the plate prevents the spacer from sitting against the bearing which in turn means it would get smashed when tightening the axle.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
take the seal and speedo drive ring out of the the st4 wheel and get the spacer fitted to the 2002 on st4s or st3, monster 620/800/1000, ss 620/800/1000, etc. i expect that should work. but if you measure off the disc mounting face you should be able to work out how different the 696 and st4 bearing position is and how the existing spacer needs to vary.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts