Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, what's up everyone. Been lurking here for a few weeks but this is my first post....go easy on me! I've been riding a 2005 Monster S4R for about two years now (Suzuki SV650, Kawi ZX6R, and Aprilia Tuono before that). Love the bike, but I have the new bike bug bad and I've been looking at getting an 848 to replace the Monster. Most of my riding is around town with the occasional canyon run. I'd like to start doing some track time and maybe someday buy a sport tourer for the around town kind of stuff. I'm wondering if any 848 riders here have moved over from the Monster series and what their take is on the differences?

I've (twice) demo'd the 848 including this past weekend. The riding position doesn't seem to be much different to me although I know it should be (I'm 44, 6'2" and 180). One problem I've always had with the Monster is at any speed over 70, you definitely get the feeling like you need to hold onto grips a bit. With the 848, more leaned over and a functional faring, I don't get that same sense. The Monster is definitely more upright but I do have long arms and no real trouble reaching the 848's clip ons while not leaning over too much (granted, both demo rides lasted about 15 minutes). The power of the two bikes appears to be pretty similar (my Arrow-outfitted Monster was dyno'd at 118 before I bought her) but the 848 is WAY smoother. I simply don't need the power of the 1198 and would feel way more comfortable (i.e., in control) on the 848. One potential issue I encountered on both test rides was getting the 848 into neutral at a stop....found that to be quite a bit of work.

Anyway, I'm curious to hear from any former Monster folk about their transitions to the 848, good or bad. Thanks!

·
Registered
65 Posts
I went from a Tuono to the 848 and I love it. I feel so connected to the road. The 848 likes to be muscled a bit, rather than guided like the Tuono did. I have no problem finding nuetral on mine, and that is with an Evo 30mm clutch slave. I feel the clutch to be like buttah! I also added a Speedymoto tripple clamp top which allowed me to raise the bars 20mm, which made a HUGE difference in comfort. Also got a 14t cog which makes the bike super easy to launch, I might even go up a tooth in the back to lower the gearing even more.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the feed back Roger. When I went from my Tuono to the Monster, I had the same sense of being connected. I found the Tuono to be too upright and being more leaned over gives me a much greater sense of control and confidence in corners. I imagine the 848 is further ahead in that regard. I talked to the dealer about the neutral issue and they mentioned it may just be a break in thing (the bike I rode had less than 100 miles on it) so I'm not too concerned.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I find quit a bit of false neutrals on the 1198, but that doesn't make it a shitty bike. You will LOVE the 848, especially compared to the Tuono. I wouldn't even take a Tuono over my Brutale - let alone an 848/10/1198.

Don't hesitate man, just get it. They're sweet. Oh, and I agree about the "too upright" feeling on the Italian naked's. I think they went a bit too far giving it that standard stance. I personally want my body weight to be over the tank, not sitting upright feeling like I'm on an 80's streetbike.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,716 Posts
. Love the bike, but I have the new bike bug bad and I've been looking at getting an 848 to replace the Monster. Most of my riding is around town with the occasional canyon run. I'd like to start doing some track time and maybe someday buy a sport tourer for the around town kind of stuff.
respectfully, i think you're a bit mixed up.

buy the motorcycle that suits you and the riding that you are doing. an 848 is not an "around the town" bike. conversely, a monster is perfectly suited for both the track and city cruising.

a sport tourer is definitely not for "around town" as you say.

maybe it's already been said, and hopefully so.

regards, and best success,

1 - 5 of 5 Posts