Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently brought an 09 Monster 1100 home (10.5K miles), and I've been having a lot of problems.

First issue, the bike won't shift in to neutral from a stop, even if I rock it. It was having a really hard time last night when I took her out, but today she won't shift into neutral at all, unless I kill the motor first. Second issue, I got a false neutral downshifting between 5th and 6th yesterday, which I guess is normal for these bikes? It's never happened to me on my other bike. More worrying than any of that however, is that the bike got stuck in gear today. Cruising at 75 in 6th, I went to downshift and the lever physically wouldn't move. I had to try 7 or 8 times and really jam it down to get the bike to hit 5th. After having a brief moment of panic, I tried shifting down to 4th and 3rd, and the bike shifted, but again with significant effort only. The bike upshifted back through 4th, 5th, and 6th just fine, so I'm not really sure what's happening here.

After I got off the freeway this morning, I also noticed that the bike was creeping in first with the clutch fully pulled, and that I can't release the clutch like I normally would (like I did when I brought the bike home) without the bike stalling. I can barely let the lever out (millimeters) and have to feed in the gas as I do to keep the bike from bogging. Embarrassment aside, I'm frankly a little scared to ride the bike right now. I can't imagine getting stuck in gear on the 10 freeway in rush hour or stalling out with no shoulder. Any ideas, or should I call a tow truck? I'm freaking out a little bit, so any help would be greatly, greatly appreciated. :(

·
Registered
174 Posts
Sounds to me like the shift linkage got jarred and moved. Here's a video on what you'll have to do to fix it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGJvMAuzR7U

You'll notice there's 2 bolts at the bottom of the linkage, I suspect they've either moved, or your spring has broken.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
My bet would be that it has nothing to do with the transmission at all, and his clutch is the entire problem. A dragging clutch could cause all of the symptoms he is describing.

OP, work your way down -- check the fluid level; it could be as simple as that. When was the clutch fluid last changed? Maybe it needs bleeding, or it's waterlogged and needs changing.

If that's not it, check the master and slave cylinders, etc.

PhilB

Reactions: Warp Racer

·
Registered
174 Posts
Good call, I didn't think that it might be the clutch fluid or slave cylinder.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both for the help! This forum is great. I got the bike inspected before I bought it, and I think the fluid level is fine, color looked ok too. The linkage I really have no clue. (I'm not as mechanically inclined as I should be)

Do you think there might be air in the line? Maybe I'll try and limp over to the shop and have them try and bleed the system.

·
Registered
233 Posts
My bet would be that it has nothing to do with the transmission at all, and his clutch is the entire problem. A dragging clutch could cause all of the symptoms he is describing.

OP, work your way down -- check the fluid level; it could be as simple as that. When was the clutch fluid last changed? Maybe it needs bleeding, or it's waterlogged and needs changing.

If that's not it, check the master and slave cylinders, etc.

PhilB
Ditto on that, good call :)
I had the same issue's with my old Harley years ago, and it was the clutch...

L8tr
Pete

Reactions: Warp Racer

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
... Do you think there might be air in the line? Maybe I'll try and limp over to the shop and have them try and bleed the system.
That's a good possibility.

PhilB

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all! Took it in and it was indeed air in the system. It was a pretty gnarly ride for me, clutch was not disengaging. Lever all the way in and the bike would still accelerate with throttle. Had to give it gas, clutch and brake to keep from stalling at stops. Can't imagine the ride was very good for the bike. Stalled 100ft from the shop, gave up, and walked it across Santa Monica boulevard. :frown2:

·
Ducati Acolyte
819 Posts
Thanks all! Took it in and it was indeed air in the system. It was a pretty gnarly ride for me, clutch was not disengaging. Lever all the way in and the bike would still accelerate with throttle. Had to give it gas, clutch and brake to keep from stalling at stops. Can't imagine the ride was very good for the bike. Stalled 100ft from the shop, gave up, and walked it across Santa Monica boulevard. :frown2:
They're tough, I'm sure it'll be fine. Don't worry too much. :)

Reactions: bgp-001

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sadly, happened again today. I think the master cylinder might be failing. Between the blown fork seals, the spark plugs, and this, the bike is putting me on the PB&J diet. :crying:

·
Premium Member
3,109 Posts
Sadly, happened again today. I think the master cylinder might be failing. Between the blown fork seals, the spark plugs, and this, the bike is putting me on the PB&J diet. :crying:
Probably the slave, they are the weak link

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sigh...good information though. The Ninja has started clattering too...it never rains but it pours.

·
Premium Member
876 Posts
If you are NOT losing fluid or dripping at the lever, it is the master. Unfortunately, Ducatti, apparently scared after a lawsuit quit selling seal repair kits in 1999 (Ducatti dealer says), changing the scenario from a $25 part to a several hundred dollar master even though your cylinder is probably perfect. Aftermarket master upgrades may be less. Brembo doesn't seem to be scared but it can be difficult to find a correct kit with erroneous information on the Brembo selling sites. I had to learn about seals that are compatible with brake fluid and how to size them to make my own repair kit. Ultimately I'm golden forever but it wasn't worth it for one. Sometimes having a machine shop is detrimental.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys. Shop called today and the slave definitely needs to be replaced. But they also said that's not what's causing the bike to get stuck in fifth. They're thinking either a broken spring (shift return spring?) or a bent shift fork.

We're talking seven hours of labor to tear apart the gearbox if it's the latter. Wondering if it's worth it to just cut my losses at this point and find a different bike. :confused:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks guys. Shop called today and the slave definitely needs to be replaced. But they also said that's not what's causing the bike to get stuck in fifth. They're thinking either a broken spring (shift return spring?) or a bent shift fork.

We're talking seven hours of labor to tear apart the gearbox if it's the latter. Wondering if it's worth it to just cut my losses at this point and find a different bike. :confused:
a shift fork shouldn't take 7 hours!? pretty sure that's the same setup as my 1100 hyper. It's 1.5 hours if you take your time. Pull the left case cover, pull the flywheel and there is it. Maybe it's different on your monster but that sound crazy on labor hours. Fix it and don't cut your loses.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks man, that's good to know. I really am not mechanically inclined sadly. He mentioned something about needing to split the cases? I don't really know why the whole engine would need to be pulled if you just have to pull the cover like you said, but they've been very good to me and have a great reputation. Maybe I'm forgetting something he said. Do you know what kind of repair would require the level of work they're wanting to do?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Had the failing Ducati Performance slave replaced with the OEM slave, and the problems seem like they've been resolved. Bike shifts like butter now. No problem finding neutral anymore. Keeping my fingers crossed that the 5/6 issue doesn't pop up again!

Side note, I think my Monster is just a high maintenance gal. Bolt came off the shift linkage on my way home from a ride up ACH and left me stranded on the side of the freeway with the shifter flopping around like a limp noodle. This morning she stalled out as I was downshifting from third, still have no idea why. Bike's keeping me on my toes!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts