Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would say hellp. After owning several Ducati's I have found what I have always been looking for...1998 916SPS. :) I just purhcased and it is being shipped via Alliad next week...cannot wait to Road America AMA Superbikes to show her off! Yes, it's a real one, not a fake...finally.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Let's trade .....

I want it .... :cool: !
Where did you get that Beauty?
Let's trade, I have a 2006 Black 999s Je, je ......

Angel

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I found it by chance in AZ and bought it right away. I have been looking for a 98 for years in the right condition and price. This one has it all, no trades for me...unless it was a 2002 998R...then maybe. ;)

·
Registered
47 Posts
998r

No trades for me...unless it was a 2002 998R...then maybe. ;)
Nooooooo, I had a 2002 998R and crash it very bad in 2007 :eek: .
I am looking for a mint 2006 999R so I hope to get as lucky as you ........

Enjoy that beautyfull machine!

Angel

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
He has several bikes, why do you ask? I was keen on a 98 because it was the only year a 916 had the 996 motor with the titanium internals, updated body decals, yet was still the original 916 bike.

·
Mayor of Simpleton
4,875 Posts
Very nice. You should bring it over to Players Club on Ashland just north of Fullerton Tuesday night(s). Last week we had about 15 Ducatis.

·
Premium Member
8,730 Posts
Congratulations on a bike that is unique in Ducati history. The 916SPS was on my short list alongwith a 999R and maybe a 996SPS. I found two 916SPSs for sale, one in pretty much mint condition for $10 grand, the other not so mint but all there and just cosmetically needed work. Just had about $1,800 in service work done to it. That was around $10 grand too. Both sold before I could make up my mind or do my research. I didn't wait when the 999R came along, I jumped it muy pronto after the prelim checks worked out. After having the 999R for over a month now I'm glad I got it over the older technology SPS bikes.

I kind of wished Ducati did a better job of doing the bike ID decals. The triple clamp plaque was cheesy, the only recognizable decal was on the tail of the SPS. Otherwise the bike looked like any other Ducati except for some carbon bits.

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
As a fellow 916SPS owner i say..
"Congrats!" :D I see yours is number 909.. I have number 526.

Now start upgrading! I´ve done a bunch of stuff to mine, while still keeping it moderatly stock..
The "first flight" 996cc SPS engine really likes camtiming and a mapping if your looking at it. The 073 916SPS chip needs abit of help, so look into that when you have the time. 15/39 gearing is what I´m running now, since it works well with the torquey engine character. Also get some good EBC HH or similar sintered "street" brakepads for the front and your definatly have brakes that are good enough. I went one more step and installed ISR rotors.

//amullo

·
Registered
56 Posts
Nooooooo, I had a 2002 998R and crash it very bad in 2007 :eek: .
I am looking for a mint 2006 999R so I hope to get as lucky as you ........

Enjoy that beautyfull machine!

Angel
Spduca, I have a 06 999R with all the goods on it (better than mint), I have been thinking about selling. PM me if you want the details.

Chris.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the input and congrats everyone. I will get more pics and an update when it finally arrives. First stop, MCC for a full once over. Stop two, find the factory rearsets to repalce the aftermarket ones.

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
The factory rearsets are the same as any other 748/916/996/998, so getting some will not be a problem.

Nice looking bike anyway. :)

Here is how mine looks with her "Corse" skins. The skins where made especially for the Racebike in the factory team. Kevler re-inforced carbonfiber. I´m missing the 24 liter CF tank, but i have my eye out for one :)
Other then that.. ISR brakes, Marchesini Mag wheels, GP500 windscreen and some other odds and ends like custom rearsets, cyclecat framsliders and such.

//amullo

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Amullo, that is one serious sick looking SPS!. :) Nice ride all around. I will most likely have questions for you when mine arrives in two weeks.

·
Super Moderator
8,211 Posts
Remember that Termignoni Slip-ons incl carbon heatshield, 916SPS 073 chip, Ducati factory rearstand (like in my pics) and dustcover in red where included with the bike.

Post some pics when it comes!

//amullo

·
Registered
697 Posts
Amullo, read your comment regarding SPS likeing cam timing, been doing a lot of reading on preferred lobe centers, are you thinking like 108 ish for the SPS?
Any other input welcome.
Fran

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
She ships tomorrow at 7am. I am now scheduled for delivery on the 26th at my local Duc dealer. First action items: fresh battery and batt holder (new style, not the acid managed one), new grips, belts and valve adjustment, fresh fluids. Then...a nice ride up to Elkhart for the AMA Superbike races.

Anyone interested, let me know. I am a liesure rider that spends more time on the twisties and small towns than I spend at the track. The journey is my enjoyement...the kettle moraine trail.

·
Senior Narcissista
5,737 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts