Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi Guys,
I have an oil leak behind the cam belt pulley plate. I am told that the motor has to be drop and change the o rings and so on. I was also told that the motor should be re ringed to get the most out of the repair.
I have had the 15,000 mile service done and changed oil from Motul to Shell, which after started leaking. Is there a chance that the changing of the oil caused the issue? I had a problem on my 1996 Astro Van, when I used Amsoil, Chevy used sealant instead of a head gasket. From what I understand, the molecule size of the synthetic oil is smaller and found it's way thru a small passage.
I was thinking of changing back to Motul, but really think that it is a $2,500 fix that I don't want to pay for. The easy fix is drop the motor and change out the leaking o rings behind the plate for $800. I am heading to my dealer to sell the bike to them!

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
An oil change with Amsoil and 2 tbs of black pepper will fix it right up.

Or was that for a leaky radiator? :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
291 Posts
Objectively, any S4RS is ten years old. Yeah, I sold mine two years ago, and miss it...

Okay, you have an oil leak. Figure out where it is coming from, and fix it.

Or sell it to someone who will. It is a mechanical device, just like any other. Oil leaks are not rocket science.

Put your bike up for sale here--I'll bet someone will buy it for a fair price. Your dealer will give you about 50% of what it is worth.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
All I was doing was posting to see if others had problems with an leak from behind the belt pulley plate. Come to find out that the dealer's own 999R is leaking behind the plate too, he has never seen it until it appeared on my bike. I also have a ST 3 which never have leaked oil, so I was a bit surprised to see the S4RS leak oil.
The oil is seeping from the behind the pulley, and it is the second leak found after a 15,000 tune up. The first leak was from the counter shaft seal. I was thinking that because we changed to Ducati Shell oil from Motul that developed the leak. Dealer said no that was not the issue, it is the horizontal cylinder that must have gotten hot.

Anyway I am having the dealer fix the leak and selling the bike, going to replace it with a Honda African Twin, BMW GS or a Multistrada Enduro. Anyone know about those bikes?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
ok, that makes more sense. those plates have o-rings behind them that seal the rocker pins for oil and also coolant and they're a bit of a pita to deal with, but they rarely leak. we had a few leak in the 998 days, but not 999 era.

i can't see that you'd have to drop the engine to do it, but you have to get the belt rollers off to get all the screws out and maybe you can't do that on the s4rs with the engine in place? i've never had to do it. i would expect to be able to do it in the frame. fiddly yes. no way i'd be able to charge you $2500 with a straight face tho.

sprocket seal leak is pretty odd too. generally oil from that area is coming from the alt cover sealant failing and leaking oil out the clutch pushrod.

oil brand makes no difference, it's not going to make it leak unless it had been running old mineral shit for years and suddenly went to a synthetic. i used to work at a express lube place when i was at uni, and once they sold a guy with an old range rover a full mobil 1 synthetic service. it came back a week later leaking oil from everywhere.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
All I was doing was posting to see if others had problems with an leak from behind the belt pulley plate. Come to find out that the dealer's own 999R is leaking behind the plate too, he has never seen it until it appeared on my bike. I also have a ST 3 which never have leaked oil, so I was a bit surprised to see the S4RS leak oil.
The oil is seeping from the behind the pulley, and it is the second leak found after a 15,000 tune up. The first leak was from the counter shaft seal. I was thinking that because we changed to Ducati Shell oil from Motul that developed the leak. Dealer said no that was not the issue, it is the horizontal cylinder that must have gotten hot.

Anyway I am having the dealer fix the leak and selling the bike, going to replace it with a Honda African Twin, BMW GS or a Multistrada Enduro. Anyone know about those bikes?
NO , I know nothing whatsoever about them , but I do know when someone is trying to stick a foreign object into my anus and you should too.>:)

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fair enough! You got me there!

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also had a crankcase breather filter that was broken in half, that was replaced. Cold have this cause issues? Maybe too much pressure in the case blowing out the seals/o rings/gaskets?

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
If it was plugging off pressure from escaping I’m betting it could make everything leak. I’d fix that first and try it.

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
After the 15,000 mile service, I rode to Venice & everything was great, or so I thought. At Deus Ex Machina, a guy riding a cool roadracing XR1200, noticed my chain was loose. The chain was real black looking, it was hard to tell where the leak was coming from, so I continued to ride to the Rock Store, everything was good no leaks. Rode more and bike was good until we stopped one more time, fresh oil under the kickstand. I took it back to the dealer, who found the counter shaft seal was leaking. Also replaced the valve cover gasket, I was sure it was leaking from there. During this stage of oil leak detection, it was discovered that the crankcase breather device was cracked in half. The breather was replaced was replaced, off for a 20 minute ride and noticed that it was leaking oil again.

Back to the dealer and not sure where it it leaking from...

I take it home, pull the belt covers and spray powder around areas I think maybe leaking. Ride it around and it appears that it is coming from the belt pulley plate area. Back to the dealer also confirmed that it was indeed coming from behind pulley plate.

So now the bike is going to have the seals/gasket/o rings fixed behind the pulley plate and put on consignment at the dealer. It runs the best it ever has, due to the great tune up done at the dealer. But I am moving on from the oil leaks, time to thin the herd out anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts