Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Fellas need some advice on getting my baby running again.

The other night I rode to work and got hit by some light drizzle on the way home. It wasn't heavy at all and might not be relevant but I thought I'd mention it.

Anyway, next time out the bike started stalling and missing. It died on me a few times at red lights and was hard to restart. After messing around with the bike today I realized it is only running on one cylinder. I can tell because the front exhaust header is cool to the touch while the rear cylinder is hot as it should after idling for a while.

I suspect a bad coil, but do not have access to a spare to swap it out. Can someone tell me how to test the coil? Can someone give me any hints on what to look for or what might be the deal?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hello

Are the leads long enough to swap H to V? Either the plug ends or the end that attaches to the harness (not both, that will null the test)
If the same cylinder doesn't fire with the coils/wires changed over, then it's probably something else.
Obviously, if the problem follows the wire/coil, then you've probably isolated it.
You should be able to score a set of coilsticks on ebay for under a c-note.

FWIW, every time this has happened to me, it's been a bad ECU.
If so, talk to Bobby at Houston Superbikes. (Used to be DesmoPorsche)

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I'm not sure if the leads are same length on both coils but I will go ahead and find out this afternoon. I thought about swapping coils but getting to the upper cylinder is more of a pain in the ass so I though maybe someone might have some insight.

I will give it a shot this afternoon and report back, thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
SO I swapped coils from one to another (leads are same length btw). The problem is the same. Front cylinder stays cold, rear one gets warm after idling for for a few seconds.

How about spark plugs themselves, any chance the front plug is fowled or bad? Does that happen on these bikes? I know it happens all the time on old school 2-strokes I have owned.

Any further suggestions much appreciated, work is slow and I can't afford Pro-Italia's 2 week wait and possible high repair costs.

Secondary Question:

I removed tank to get to rear cylinder coil, and lost track of which fuel line goes where. Tank is marked "in" and "out", both fuel lines go to injectors, does it matter which line goes where? Do the injectors care which side is pressurized?

Thanks a lot guys.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Purchased a set of plugs from sparkplugs.com today, maybe that will be it but doubt it.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Purchased a set of plugs from sparkplugs.com today, maybe that will be it but doubt it.
Hello
Not trying to be negative, but you are ignoring the logic you exercised when you swapped the coil leads.
You can always use an extra set of plugs, but chances are plugs or coils are not the culprit you're chasing.

JMHO....

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello
Not trying to be negative, but you are ignoring the logic you exercised when you swapped the coil leads.
You can always use an extra set of plugs, but chances are plugs or coils are not the culprit you're chasing.

JMHO....
I read on monster forums about a guy with the same problem who claims that it was resolved with new plugs. I seriously doubt he is actually correct. I'm pretty sure he probably had dirty contacts or something which he happened to fix accidently while swapping spark plugs. Either way new plugs won't hurt.

I also went through all the electrical plugs and checked them all for corrosion, checked ECU for signs of failure, and did not find anything wrong. Something is not firing the Horizontal cylinder..........I will report after swapping plugs.....most likely nothing will change.

I also have a failing battery, I am going to replace with a Anti-Gravity battery which will last much longer than lead-acid.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also if anyone knows which fuel line goes where, i'd appreciate it!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It was the plugs! Replaced and the bike runs perfect again.

Still would like to know about the tank fuel lines, does it matter which goes where?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lucky you! I have this same problem but it's not the plugs...

No spark is getting to the front cylinder- i've swapped plugs, caps, leads, coils. The last thing is the 2 red cables that plug into each coil- could it possibly be them?

Only one way to find out I suppose.

Strange thing is after a fair ride the other cylinder will decide to kick in....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts