Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I get 55mi driving in traffic until the fuel light turns on, some quick calcs come to around 20mpg, that can't be right?! I read around and its difficult to get an accurate average for the s2r1000 mpg. Any thoughts guys?

Cheers,
Otto

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
How far can you go after the light comes on?

On mine I can go 95-100 miles before the light comes on. 10 more miles and I’m pushing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Duckman,
The bike was out of gas a few meters away from work when comuting back home!! Ill take that as a stroke of luck (kind of).
Reserve light came on at 58mi and exactly 70mi for a dry tank. Weird though as I could start the bike for a few seconds and then it would stop.
Any thoughts on what's happening here? the bike is burning at least double the amount of what it should.
Cheers,
O

·
19,081 Posts
Yes, that doesn’t sound right. Just thinking out loud but I’d the tank truly empty when it dies? How much fuel does it take to fill the tank at that point? I’m wondering if you are really burning all the fuel or if there’s something wrong with the fuel pump/filter/pick up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Duckman,

I refilled the tank yesterday with a little bit less than 14l, which I suspect is what was left and why the engine still was able to start for a short time.

I guess this means that the bike is really doing 20mpgs.. which is nonsense compared to the mpgs others have been reporting (+-40mpg). I am not riding hard, only push the throttle whenever I have a long straight without traffic, which is about 2% of my commute..

The service included an air filter check so I dont think that this to be the problem. Im out of ideas, Is it a matter of messing with the ECU only? is there anything else that can influence the fuel consumption?

Cheers for your help,
Otto

·
19,081 Posts
Hi Duckman,

I refilled the tank yesterday with a little bit less than 14l, which I suspect is what was left and why the engine still was able to start for a short time.

I guess this means that the bike is really doing 20mpgs.. which is nonsense compared to the mpgs others have been reporting (+-40mpg). I am not riding hard, only push the throttle whenever I have a long straight without traffic, which is about 2% of my commute..

The service included an air filter check so I dont think that this to be the problem. Im out of ideas, Is it a matter of messing with the ECU only? is there anything else that can influence the fuel consumption?

Cheers for your help,
Otto
No, something is really wrong if it's really drinking that much fuel. Does it run like crap? Running that rich it should be obvious it's not running right.

Even if the temperature sensor wasn't working and it was running on full enrichment I don't think it would burn that much fuel. When you're running normally what the oil temp gauge read?

·
Registered
3,534 Posts
get it on a diagnostic tool to see what all the inputs are doing or if it has meaningful faults logged, but generally you don't see issues there. do a tps reset, check what the idle trimmer is set to and what the mixture is, throttle balance, etc.

if it has a dp based file in the ecu they tend to have quite a bit less spark advance in the cruise area, which will also hurt fuel economy.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I thought my S4RS was pretty bad at 27-32, depending on how gently I rode it...never twisted it's tail very hard or very long. Dude who sold it to me said that when the fuel light comes on, you have 27 miles.
I flew out to Utah to look at it and hear it run, negotiated a deal and paid for it, (fuel light was on), and had it shipped to me.
When it got here the fuel light was on, but I had no idea for how long. So I rode it to the gas station, about 1.2 miles away. Made it 1.1 miles. :)

But that bike had probably had twice the HP of the S2R1000, so your fueling is really off, I think. There is a somewhat antiquated but still fairly accurate formula that says a reasonably efficient engine consumes approx 1/2 lb of fuel per hour per horsepower. You can do the math from there. So either your S2R1000 is putting out 200 HP or it is seriously mis-fueled. With that large a discrepancy, should not be that hard to figure out.

My 800cc S2R got 45 mpg or so, my S2R1000...never got it put together well enough to put a full tank through it. But I'm thinking that 40-ish should be reasonable.

Aftermarket pipe (no cat)? Should smell like a 1960s musclecar. My 996 and S4RS (as well as my current Multistrada 1200S) would all run me out of the garage after 30 sec of running. All had cat delete, Termi exhaust, probably mapped. All run great but all consume fuel in the area of 30 mpg...Multistrada can do (barely) 40 on extended highway trips with judicious throttle management, but is just as bad around town.

Running 20 mpg rich, should be spitting raw fuel out the exhaust and smell like the Exxon Valdez.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Makes me think back to the 70s and my Kawasaki H2, hottest bike of the day, that got 25-27 mpg on a good day. Didn't think much of it back then as most cars got 10-15.

These days, hot bikes are still getting similar mpg, while average cars are doing 35-40 or better...much better for hybrids.

Good thing gas is still relatively cheap. :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all your replies!

Its the only S2R1000 I've rode so far so I cant really be sure but the bike feels perfectly normal. If I am being picky I would have thought the bike would pull a bit more. I had a 696 before and I was expecting this one to be a beast compared to it but its not that much more powerful I have to say, Its not a wheelie machine as I've heard before. The temperature is ok, I think. It stays on the "LOW" for about 5-10mn (its been around 5 degrees celsus outside) but then when it goes up it stays between 100 and 120 deg Celsius which from what I read before is normal.

"Even if the temperature sensor wasn't working and it was running on full enrichment I don't think it would burn that much fuel" I agree, its like the petrol disappears.

One thing I didn't mention, which now I think it might be important :p is that the bike has a full arrow system and is decat.. still, 20mpgs?.. The ECU was remapped with dyno so I assume it was done properly.

I assume the guys put the bike through the diagnose tool on its full service last month but I'll check.

Many thanks guys,
Otto

·
Registered
127 Posts
I had a 696 before and I was expecting this one to be a beast compared to it but its not that much more powerful I have to say
If the specs I looked at are correct, the stock S2R should have about 15 more hp and about 20 more ft/lb of torque. The power difference should be a little greater still if you have a full exhaust with tune. Have you checked the air filter to make sure it isn't excessively dirty?

·
Registered
157 Posts
There maybe a few things going on. As for speed, the stock 696 gearing is much shorter than the stock 1000 so that may contribute to the difference in perception of speed. The 1000 is also over 20lbs heavier. Now, if the aftermarket exhaust is not properly tuned it would produce less power and drink more gas. Do the 1000 tanks suffer from expansion issues or are they metal? On a carbureted Honda superhawk my mileage improved from 30mpg to 40 after I fixed a torn diaphragm, but this should be fuel injected.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
My S2R1000 is similarly rough on gas ... about 80 miles or so to empty. It has [supposedly] been worked over pretty thoroughly by the previous owner [who I know to be fanatical with his Ducatis]. It has a power commander on it but I am somewhat ashamed to say I haven't bothered to mess with anything other than belts/valves/clutch/tires since I bought it a couple years ago. I've always assumed that 30ish mpg was normal. If I am working the canyons or passes then mid 20s for sure. Maybe I should look into it further.

It does have a big exhaust on it which is why the PC and dyno tuning was done... Also yes it has a plastic tank and yes they are known to expand with ethanol... thankfully I am able to avoid that stuff easily in my area.

·
Registered
7,409 Posts
What do the plugs look like ? I’d get it on an exhaust analyzer . That is definitely worse than my S4RS which I thought was the all time king of gas pigs. You need to verify that all the engine related sensors are functioning properly.

·
Registered
644 Posts
As a frame of reference, my S2R1000 is totally stock (engine and gearing), and I get nearly 45 mpg. Light comes on at ~130 miles. I haven't run it empty, but I think there's ~30 miles to go once the light comes on.

·
19,081 Posts
Haha. :) I thought the reserve lasted 30 miles too until I ran out twice after about 10 miles. :)

·
Registered
644 Posts
Haha. :) I thought the reserve lasted 30 miles too until I ran out twice after about 10 miles. :)
You might be right. I guess it all depends on how much of that last half gallon the pump can pick up. I know I can get well over 30 miles out of my ST after the light comes on (I do it on a regular basis), but the Monster is a whole different animal.

·
19,081 Posts
Every other bike I’ve ever owned would go at least 30 miles on reserve. I learned the hard way my Monster won’t. :)

After that I started testing all my bikes by strapping a one gallon gas can to the seat and riding them until it died to see how far I can go.

Reactions: Stick
1 - 20 of 21 Posts