Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everybody,

I am a new member in this forum and also a wannabe monsterista!!!

For the last month i 've been thinking of buying a second hand 620ie so I can be introduced in the ducati world (big fun of italian cars and now motorbikes). So far I've read a lot of things about the monster family and I 've concluded that my only concern right now is the riding position :confused: .
The reason is that I 'm 6'2'' tall (or 1.90m in european metric system) and my current motorbike is a Yamaha XT660X which is ok for my height .
Could anyone share with me his experience in that matter? That would really be very helpful in my final decision ;)

Thanks in advance,
Dimitri.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Dimitri,

Go get the bike and enjoy the ride. I am 6'-2" and 200+ pounds, (okay, I know I have to shed some spread but I'm an old fart an should be allowed some proprietary padding), and the bike fits just fine.
You might want to consider going up to a larger discplacement Monster though. Perhaps a 750, 800, 900, or 1000, depending on model year.
The 620 is okay, but if you are used to Yami's you might find the power band on the 620 a little weak. No offense to you 600/6230 guys, I'm just considering Dimitris size and previous ride.
The monsters are great in that there is a lot of after market accessories available to alter your riding position if the stock set up does not suit you.
You also might want to check out the Ducait Monster List. A great source for everything Monster related.

Good luck and enjoy the ride.

Al B.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I am kinda with Phonse on the reccomendation of looking for a used 800,900,1000 because of the Torque that you are used to with the Yam660 motor...and if you miss certain aspects of the XT...you can go to Spiegler and get different bars,risers,and hydraulic lines and raise the whole gambit up a lil and out a lil to give you a lil more of that motard feel!...otherwise...you arer making a wise choice!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Oh, okay. Two up is definitely not spacious. Solo can be fine with a bit of adjustment.
We have Rizoma handlebars and rear sets and it helped to stretch things out considerably. If he were looking for a sport -tourer then I'd say go with the ST or Strada. Since he is asking about the 620 in particular, I wanted to let him know that options are available.
Your point is well taken.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Al (and the rest of you guys),

Thanks for your advise, you were really helpful :)

Yesterday I found out that the new 695 is allready on sale here in Greece so probably I 'll go for the new (and at a competitive price too).

As far as weight concerns I 'm only 140 pounds (very skinny indeed :eek: ... I started the weight reduction of the bike before getting it in my hands :D ) so that wouldn't be much of a problem...

Thanks again for sharing this info with me ;)

·
Registered
90 Posts
As a former 6'1" owner of a 620, I can say it was a tad short for me, but not that big of a deal. Standing flat footed, I probably had about a 3+ inch gap from me to the seat. I'm not positive, but I think the s2r and s4r ride a bit higher. It was definitely the most comfortable bike I've ever ridden. Either way... great bikes, and you should definitely pick one up. Riding 2 up wasn't a great idea on the 620 tho... too much weight for that stock suspension, but at 140lbs, you probably wont have this problem.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Buy a larger bike

You will be disappointed with the power and the lack there of it. The bike is smaller than it's brothers is size and power. I would look for a 1000 cc monster min. I'm currently thinking about trading a bike or two off and buying a test. monster with the Ohlins.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I'm 1.78m in height but I do weigh around 170lb. Just ordered a Monster 695 after testing the bike. I have been riding large capacity bikes for many years yet I found the 695 has all the power I really need for the roads I like to ride.

A friend on a Hyabusa struggled to keep up with me even though I'm no Rossi/Bayliss.

Why not try a few bikes to see what suits you?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've always wondered about a Monster myself. What is the riding position like?
Is it more like a cruiser? Closer to my Supersport? Or something different all together?

I like monsters, and there is not a place anywhere close were i can go ride one. And I've always wanted to know how they feel.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I'd guess the riding position is nothing like a cruiser. But then neither is it like a pure sports bike IMO.

I have had sports bikes but these days I prefer a more upright riding position.
I found the Monster has bars that are more upright than a sports bike but they are slightly more of a stretch than those on a typical retro-style naked bike or a trail bike. I didn't find that there was excessive weight on my wrists, nor was vibes an issue.

The footpegs are slightly further back than a retro or trail bike, but not as radical as on a sports bike.

I found the combined effect to be comfortable for me whilst still providing a position from which the bike's fun factor could be exploited.

Comfort is subjective, I guess you'll really have to try a Monster to see how you get on with it. Do you know anyone who has a Monster if there are no dealers near you?

Good luck and enjoy the experience. ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.